Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through July 08, 2003

Old     (jwat142)      Join Date: Jan 2002       06-15-2003, 6:00 PM Reply   
I know people on here have said that some of the Jabsco reversible ballast pumps had problems with the impeller in them or something. Well mine is starting to act up on me. It will run for like 30-60 seconds and then it stops pumping. It slowly dies down at the end and then totally stops. If I let it sit for a minute or so, it will start back up and run again for a littl while and then stop again. Does anyone know how I can fix this? Thanks.
Old     (motoxer)      Join Date: May 2002       06-15-2003, 8:03 PM Reply   
Sounds like it may have lost prime. When the impeller runs dry the friction can be more than the motor can overcome and the pump will stall. open the cover and squirt a shot of oil in the impeller housing(or I've used suntan oil in a pinch) and the pump should re-prime and once wetted should run continuously again.
Old    xwake            06-16-2003, 9:16 PM Reply   
Justin,

FYI, watch out using Petroleum based products if your ballast system contains rubber parts. It will make it weak and eventually fail.

Just my .02

Bo
Old    skippyh2o            06-18-2003, 12:09 AM Reply   
Actually jabsco installed a slightly larger impeller for their pumps. A quick fix is to contact jabsco and tell them you need the new updated impeller. This will not cause the pump to think the system is dry and "auto" shut off. It is part of the run dry protection.
www.northwestmarine-ski.com