Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through June 17, 2007

Old    bocephus            05-30-2007, 8:20 AM Reply   
I'm a real estate appraiser and a buddy sent me this picture. It's a real house in Mass. Crazy! He is declining the appraisal assignment because he doesn't know what to do for a driveway adjustment. Could you imagine getting a boat in that garage....

Upload
Old     (denwbaseball)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-30-2007, 8:23 AM Reply   
HOLY CRAP! That is crazy I don't even think a car could get in that thing with out bottoming out BAD and the top and bottom. And a boat is out of the question.
Old     (whitie)      Join Date: Jul 2004       05-30-2007, 8:29 AM Reply   
close in the garage and tunnel a new one.
Old    bocephus            05-30-2007, 8:31 AM Reply   
That's a 43% grade.

That's engineering at it's best. I don't even know how you pour concrete like that without it running down the hill...
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-30-2007, 8:51 AM Reply   
I hope that house never sells, that contractor is a dumba$$ and should have to live in it himself.
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-30-2007, 8:53 AM Reply   
^^^^ with a boat.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       05-30-2007, 8:59 AM Reply   
there must be a requirement to have a driveway in order to build. No car will ever park in that garage

they will have to chase the skateboarders off with a stick
Old     (smylie)      Join Date: Jun 2002       05-30-2007, 9:13 AM Reply   
thats a photoshop. ive seen that picture somewhere else.
Old     (crghou)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2007, 9:36 AM Reply   
lol i hope it is fake. I dont even think my truck would be able to clear that b/c it is to long and would ripp off the rear or front bumper
Old     (kylek306)      Join Date: Feb 2003       05-30-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
greg i was thinking the same thing, how on earth is actually smooth?
Old     (jamieb)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-30-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
as a developer, no way the city approves that. It would never even get built. anything with more than 20% grade is pretty useless.
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2007, 10:46 AM Reply   
DONE!

Upload
Old     (jheado)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-30-2007, 10:48 AM Reply   
Nice Craig, Can u post the video now?
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2007, 10:58 AM Reply   
Never believe anything you see on the Internet
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2007, 11:00 AM Reply   
UploadUpload
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-30-2007, 11:03 AM Reply   
We usually don't but the cars look normal width in the original as does the rock near the sidewalk. If this is photoshopped, then the guy needs a better job because it looks real to me.....
Old     (yosquire)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-30-2007, 11:07 AM Reply   
The only reason why you noticed the cars is because the orginal is side-by-side...

All said this is about 15 minutes of work for me. Give me 1 hour and you couldn't call it a fake.

So here's your fixed cars:

Upload

(Message edited by yosquire on May 30, 2007)
Old     (dabell)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-30-2007, 11:15 AM Reply   
Okay, I see where you are coming from. But, 15 minutes is a lot of time and if the original is photoshopped, then it must have taken him a few hours. I don't have that amount of time on my hands but there are a lot of people that might. I think the one that gets me is the dirt all around and the over all atmosphere of the picture. But, anything is possible, you are right.
Old    bocephus            05-30-2007, 11:29 AM Reply   
Here is a news article that appeared in the City Paper. Apparently this is in CO, not Mass. It's making it's way around the appraiser internet community...The article is regarding the house across the street. Apparently the developer made major payoffs to the city planners who were on their way out of office to get the development approved. Supposedly 14 lawsuits are currently pending in the neighborhood.

Susana Adams was so convinced the driveway of her new home on Dairy Ranch Road was dangerous that she never moved in after arriving from out of state in September 2004.
She immediately put the house back up for sale.
Forget the stunning views from its living room of Blodgett Peak to Black Forest. Forget the wraparound deck. The stone fireplace and detailing. The four bedrooms, three baths, media room and central air. Adams wanted out.
Turns out she was right. The driveway claimed its first victim last winter — a roll-over wreck. And now, the house with perhaps the steepest, sharpest-curved, most dangerous driveway in the city is vacant again and up for sale.
“Oh no,” said Doug Jones, a RE/MAX real estate agent who worked seven months to sell the house for Adams. “Oh wow. I’m really sorry to hear that.”
In a way, Jones wasn’t surprised to learn the new owner, Jason Olson, had wrecked on the driveway. Jones knew the driveway was dangerous and warned everyone who looked at the house, including Olson.
The driveway is a staggering 40 percent grade at its steepest point. That is double the maximum grade allowed by the city on hillside homes. A 60 percent grade is considered too steep to stand on and most highways don’t exceed 8 percent grade.
The driveway is the reason the house sat on the market so long, Jones said, before Olson bought it at a deep discount in April 2005. It scared people off.
Not Olson, then 26, who saw it at its worst when he toured the house after a heavy snow.
Olson owned a four-wheeldrive truck and was confident he and his new wife, Dacia, could handle the driveway.
Olson described the driveway simply as “a little tricky” — especially at the bottom where a long straightaway gives way to a sharp turn to the street.
“I’m a four-wheel enthusiast,” Olson said. “I don’t mind the driveway.”
Still, he conceded there were times it would be too dangerous to drive.
“You can’t drive on it when it has snow on it,” he said.
Unfortunately, he forgot his own advice.
In November, neighbor Kelly Kitch was standing at her bedroom window when she saw Olson and his wife, who was eight months pregnant, heading down the driveway.
“It had dusted us with snow the night before, but it hadn’t really snowed,” Kitch said. “Jason and Dacia had gotten in his truck and started down the driveway.”
Almost immediately, she could see he was in trouble.
“On the top section, he kept bumping the inside curb,” Kitch said. “He was sliding.”
Olson cleared the switchback and gingerly drove down the straightaway before reaching the final turn.
“He got to the bottom and tried to brake,” Kitch said. “But he couldn’t stop. He went straight and hit the curb on the other side. The back of his truck came up and the whole vehicle went over on its side. It landed in the street.”
Kitch’s husband, Doug, raced down the hill to help pull the Olsons from their overturned truck.
Luckily, neither Olson nor his wife was injured, although the event shook everyone up.
A few months later, the house was empty and the “For Sale” sign showed up in the yard.
Olson did not return repeated calls seeking comment.
Neighbors are left to wonder if it was the driveway or something else that caused the family to move.
News of the wreck didn’t surprise Brett Veltman, the city development review and zoning manager who had inspected the driveway and urged it be removed and redesigned.
Even now, Veltman said the city would do anything possible to smooth the permitting process if someone wanted to rebuild the driveway — a project that could cost $50,000 or more, experts say.
Jones is convinced a new driveway — or a bargain-basement price — is the only way the house will sell again.
“It would be a $400,000 house if the driveway was fixed,” Jones said.
Otherwise, it may go for half that price. And the risk of wrecking will always remain.
While the idea of a driveway wreck sounds strange to most, apparently they aren’t all that uncommon among the hill-hugging houses on Dairy Ranch Road, below the Peregrine neighborhood. Just ask Kelly Kitch.

It's real!

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qn4191/is_20060803/ai_n16662511

(Message edited by bocephus on May 30, 2007)
Old     (flattirenotube)      Join Date: May 2007       05-30-2007, 12:34 PM Reply   
My aunts garage is damn near that steep so I would believe that the first one is real. It sucks, she has to come up on the curb and an angle to avoid bottoming out and got sick of it so she ended up buying an SUV, Pathfinder I think.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-30-2007, 12:40 PM Reply   
That article describes a curved driveway, the one in the image is straight. Certainly doesn't prove the image is real. I'm thinking fake still.
Old    bocephus            05-30-2007, 12:50 PM Reply   
The house the guy is appraising is across the street....

quote:

Here is a news article that appeared in the City Paper. Apparently this is in CO, not Mass. It's making it's way around the appraiser internet community...The article is regarding the house across the street. Apparently the developer made major payoffs to the city planners who were on their way out of office to get the development approved. Supposedly 14 lawsuits are currently pending in the neighborhood.

I will get a picture of the house in the article soon...
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       05-30-2007, 1:46 PM Reply   
crazy, if it is true
up until recently a felon could be your mortgage broker in colorado, there was no license requirement, anybody could be a broker or loan officer just by calling themselves such...no wonder CO had the highest foreclosure rate in the nation for quite a while...it is the wild west...of course here in calif they build in the flood plain and have the gall to call the development "plumas lakes" back in the 90's it flooded to the rooftops of the ranches out there...now there are 11,000 new homes there...just more examples of greed gone wild
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-30-2007, 1:48 PM Reply   
Whoops, Sorry Bocephus! let's see some pics.
Old     (yager97)      Join Date: Feb 2007       05-31-2007, 6:41 PM Reply   
Wow, from an engineering stand point I gotta say there is no amount of money that could get that through the 10 or so hands that would have seen that development plan for approval. There would have to be a lot of corrupt people working for that municipality. At least his house is probably pretty safe from flooding.
Old     (jpshaff01)      Join Date: Jun 2005       05-31-2007, 6:57 PM Reply   
This may be a longshot but shouldnt all the lines if they are square meet at the horizon point. This is going back to high school drawing class haha.Upload
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       05-31-2007, 7:01 PM Reply   
Perfect Jon
Old     (olskooltige)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-31-2007, 7:14 PM Reply   
Short answer, no, the lines will not converge like that unless they are all on the same plane.
Old     (fulltilt429)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-31-2007, 7:17 PM Reply   
Damn...4bd 3ba media room, stunning views.. and could be a $400k home if the driveway was fixed???
I hate CA... lol... my 995 sq ft. 1bd 1 ba condo was $325k.