Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through December 26, 2006

Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-12-2006, 10:24 PM Reply   
does anyone have a solution for these trailers that have the sliding toungue that lock up when in reverse. My dealer said it's only when you have an extreme angle when backing up, or down steep slope, but my trailer locks up anytime i back the trailer up. I've got the little piece to lodge in to prevent this, but just seems like a big annoyance to have to do this everytime i want to back up. can you disconnect this without disconnecting the brakes. thanx for any input.
Old     (fuzzball)      Join Date: Aug 2006       11-12-2006, 10:27 PM Reply   
You should be able to wire it into the harness for your lights so when you put it in reverse, it shuts the brakes off. My friends Supra was the same but if you left it plugged in, it would shut off the brakes.
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       11-12-2006, 10:32 PM Reply   
If you disconnect it, your brakes won't work. You should be able to do as Brian says. Most companies have the trailer already wired this way, you just need a five prong plug on your truck.
Old     (kscales)      Join Date: Oct 2006       11-12-2006, 10:35 PM Reply   
Hey Ryan,

your trailer should have a 5 pin connector, the extra pin recognizes when your reverse lights are on ( reversing the trailer) and it will lock out the brakes in that situation.

Your truck should have the round plug connector, make sure you have the correct adapter to convert to 5 pin for the trailer and that the wiring is working correctly. ( IE test the plug for voltage while you have your truck in reverse)

With that all said, ours does lock going up a slight incline( driveway) but works when we are going straight back.

I to have to talk to my dealer to see if this is normal with the trailers.

anyone know.
Old     (nautyboy)      Join Date: Apr 2005       11-12-2006, 11:12 PM Reply   
There are two potential problems:

1. The trailer is not wired correctly

2. The electric valve which is located on the trailer is not closing all the way (or not at all) when it is energized (by the reverse light circut) and is allowing brake fluid to pass through the valve and into the brake caliper (causing the brakes to lock-up)

It's a really simple system, your dealer should be able to correct it within an hour or two.
Old     (nubb)      Join Date: May 2006       11-13-2006, 6:17 AM Reply   
If your tow vehicle is equipped with a 7-Round plug, then most likely there is a separate fuse for the reverser lights connection within the plug, ie ... event though your reverse lights are working, the fuse to your trailer plug reverse lights is blown. Check your fuses first, generally this is the source of your problem.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       11-13-2006, 12:22 PM Reply   
Ryan:

Backing up a trailer with surge brakes has always been a problem. There are three ways that this is typically handled, so you have to know what your system is in order to make sense of any of the above replies.

Method 1: "FREE BACKING BRAKES".
Free backing brakes are designed to only work going forward. If the wheels are rotating in reverse the wheel rotation makes the brakes so ineffective that they might as well not be on. If you had this type of brake system then you should never have had the problem.

"REVERSE LOCKOUT SOLENOID"
This system has a solenoid valve that disables the brakes when voltage is applied. This works great, is completely automatic, but it does require an additional connection to the trailer. The standard boat trailer light connector has four connections: Left Turn, Right Turn, tail light and ground. In order to use the reverse locking solenoid you need a 5 pin connector. The fifth pin is normally connected to the reverse lights of the tow vehicle.

MECHANICAL LOCKOUT:
The cheap solution is to have some sort of mechanical lockout to prevent the brake actuator on the trailer from applying the brakes. This could be a pin inserted into the tongue, a "D" shaped gizmo to insert into the slide area, or a lever that is moved on the coupler. Three major disadvantages of this setup: 1, you have to get out and operate the lockout, which is a real pain if you need to do some quick manuevering. 2) You could accidentially leave it in the disabled position. 3) You can lose the pin....

If you are not sure of the type of system you have, find some brand names on the coupler (not the trailer make, but the brand of coupler) and/or post a picture of the tongue.

Rod
Old     (enzosurfer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-13-2006, 4:54 PM Reply   
or, just leave your trailer plugged in and back it up!

Mine does the same if I disconnect the wiring harness when launching. I have never had a problem NOT disconnecting the trailer lights before launching. Some say you can burn out a light from being too hot, I call bull, most trailer lights are sealed.
Old     (trx1noob)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-13-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
the boat came with an inline 4 prong harness, not the 7 prong round that gm comes stock with. I'm wondering if i change out the plug piece if that might help. I taped the little wedge piece in there for now. thanx for the info guys, i'll put it too use and let you know. ryan
Old     (enzosurfer)      Join Date: Jun 2006       11-13-2006, 5:18 PM Reply   
that little wedge piece is for backing only and should be removed before towing....or else you wont have trailer brakes! aka = brake lockout
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       11-13-2006, 6:38 PM Reply   
On my Supra the blue wire is the wire that controls the brakes in reverse. I converted it from the flatt pin conector to the factory round Gm plug. The only reason I did it was my dog got a hold of the flatt pin conector. Damn Boxers!!!!
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       11-13-2006, 7:30 PM Reply   
Can't believe your dealer hasn't been more helpful or at least knowledgeable on this, but...

Look at the brake line coming out of the master cylinder (in the tongue). It needs to have a reverse lockout solenoid in the line, which looks about like an old 35 mm film canister with wires coming out and hydraulic fittings on both ends. If you don't have this, you need to add one, connect the ground wire, and bleed the brakes.

You also need a 5 pin flat connector, and a 7-round to 5-flat adapter. The 5th (blue) wire connects the reverse lights on the truck to the lockout solenoid hot.