Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-09-2009, 1:01 PM Reply   
So school has started now. Maddie (11) had to write an essay for school that had to do with something she did this summer. She bought me the essay a few moments ago, and I didn't know she was doing it, so I didn't help her at all. I read it, loved it, and had a good laugh. Its funny reading her perspective on some of these things, how she interprets some of the things we have done. Its pretty stinking cute. At first, I was going to have her correct a few things, but I think other than some punctuation and stuff, I am going to have her leave it JUST the way it is.

How I Learned to Wake Surf

By Maddie Garcia

Boy was I tired! I was so tired because I had just learned to wake surf. It was two years ago when I was nine years old. It was harder when I was nine because I was so small. I was on Lake Oroville with my dad and family.

Before I learned to wake surf, Dad had already taught me how to wakeboard. Whitney and I had just finished videotaping my older brother, RJ. The air was so terribly hot, so we took 30 minutes to swim.

Like I mentioned above, I was so tired. Dad said,” Hey kids I just heard of this new sport called wake surfing, do you guys want to try it?” The other kids said “yes,” but I said “no,” because I was so tired from wake boarding. That’s just my way of not doing something but don’t tell my mom and dad. Any way let’s get back to what my dad said about wake surfing. So Dad said, “Come on Maddie, please do it for me?” So I said “Fine.” So I tried it.

Later on when I got better, it became more exciting. Because I started doing more tricks and stuff like that, and I went wireless, and what that means is when you go wireless you let go of the rope.

I enjoyed telling you about how I learned to wake surf. I hope that convinces you to try wake surfing. Please try wake surfing you’re going to love it I can promise you.

ITEMS YOU NEED FOR WAKE SURFING:
  1. A safe boat (inboard boat is recommended)
  2. A coast guard approve life vest,(YOU NEED TO HAVE A SAFE LIFE VEST)
  3. A rope to pull yourself(* NOT A WAKE BOARD ROPE)
  4. A board you are able to control (if you are a little one the grom board is recommended.)
  5. A good wake. (YOU CAN’T SURF WITHOUT A GOOD WAKE.)
  6. A video camera ( YOU NEED A VIDEO CAMERA)
  7. Any type of floatation device (A THROW PILLOW IS ALWAYS GOOD.)
  8. And a good family to watch (TRY YOUR BEST TO GET UP AND DO WHAT YOU CAN)
  9. A fresh air exhaust( DON’T SURF UNTIL YOU HAVE THE FRESH AIR EXHAUST)
  10. Last but not least, the carbon monoxide detector.

MAKE WAKE SURFING SAFE FOR YOU AND YOUR FAMILY

You can be safe by following the advice above.

*You can’t wake surf with a wakeboard rope because body parts can fall in there.