Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (alex_hunter)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-06-2012, 1:34 PM Reply   
I'm looking to get a new board. I don't need it, but I just bought a new boat and want to fill up the racks.

From what I gather a flex board is primarily for cable parks, but some guys ride and like them behind boats as well. What is the difference in the ride between a stiff board and flex? I'm leaning towards getting a SS, lots of guys seem to be happy with them.

I have a Watson now. I think I want the new board to have a different feel and then I can decide which one I prefer and leave the other as the boat board.
Old     (alex_hunter)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-06-2012, 6:01 PM Reply   
Anyone have any input on newton vs response?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-06-2012, 8:11 PM Reply   
The difference between flex boards and stiff is that flex boards flex and stiff boards do not. That's about it. Some say flex boards land softer, but the Recoils I've owned land pretty damn hard because they have no bottom features and huge rocker lines. I find that they're a little slower than the LF Harley I came from (a very stiff board with carbon stringers and a smaller 3-stage rocker than what the Recoil has), but they seem to pop better off the wake. They're really fun for finless surface tricks because of the flat bottoms. Plus, you can use the flex to press on the water and get some nice ollie pop.

So to recap, with the Recoil, you're basically sacrificing a bit of speed and maybe a bit of landing softness for pop and more fun on surface tricks. To me, it's worth it. The pop is just ridiculous!

Other flex boards land softer and are faster than the Recoil.

As for the Newton vs. the Response, both are continuous rocker boards, but the Newton is from the ballistic series and the Response is not. This means that the Newton is stiffer than the Response, and I believe it has some minimal channels as well. Basically, the Newton is more boat-focused and the Response is more cable-focused.

I think both would be great choices because their rocker lines should mitigate some of the weaknesses of the Recoil.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2012, 5:03 AM Reply   
Demo the boards your interested in.The Harley and the Watson obviously didn't hold either of those guys back.Find the board that suits YOU best.
Old     (alex_hunter)      Join Date: Oct 2009       03-07-2012, 11:01 AM Reply   
Unfortunately demo'ing boards isn't an option where I am.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       03-07-2012, 2:10 PM Reply   
Lymannnnnnnn came in today!!!!!!!