Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-09-2010, 5:21 PM Reply   
My right rear drain pump stopped working yesterday. No biggie really. My left one went out earlier this year so I make do with the extra drop in pump I have on board. Fill with the switch, empty with the plug in type. Should be simple, if I only had to drain the bag AFTER I filled it. The additional problem is, right side was filling no matter which pump I turned on so I had to keep draining it, manually, while we were fillin the left side.

so I decided to check all of the fill lines, turns out no mater which switch is on (left, center, or right) all 3 fill lines have water coming thru them.

I was just curious if anybody has experienced this and if so are there any quick/inexpensive fixes?

I know the proper thing is to prob spring for the jabsco pumps, but I don't really got a grand to drop on ballast this year. I don't mind the fill time that much. Sure it could be quicker, but as long as each bag fills and empties when its supposed I'd be happy.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-09-2010, 5:22 PM Reply   
03 Supra Launch SSV for ref
Old     (scottnaz)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-09-2010, 5:57 PM Reply   
For the fill problems, check the manual switch on the pumps, and also remove the solenoids and check for debris. Drain troubles, replace the pump.

Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2010, 6:44 PM Reply   
Those solenoids are under the v drive cover for reference. Slid your rear seat foward to access them. This is a common problem. You probably will be able to easily fix it. Good luck and let us know how it went
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-09-2010, 6:55 PM Reply   
well I hope that does the trick. All of the switches were basically in the "up" position. one all the way up. the other two were kinda half way, but more up than they were down...

Why would that be? Do they just move on their own, or just installed wrong when I got it?

will report after I get boat on the water which unfortunately will probably be a few days...
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-09-2010, 7:06 PM Reply   
They can move on their own. I have heard of a lot of people just epoxy them down. Why would you ever want it in the up position...I dunno. They were under the v drive cover right? Just need to know if my memory is serving me right or not.
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       07-09-2010, 7:15 PM Reply   
If the switches were in the up position then that's probably your problem. If that doesn't fix it then you probably just need to replace those solenoids. They do wear out over time and replacing them is a simple fix. You can get them in the sprinkler department in your local Home Depot for about $13 each. I have an 04 and have already had to replace one of mine. Just take one of yours in with you to match up to the correct one. I believe that Orbit is the manufacturer. I believe the ones at HD will say that they are 24v, but they will still work.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-09-2010, 8:04 PM Reply   
yup, exactly where you described. Thanks.
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-13-2010, 2:07 PM Reply   
I've been talking with Jason at Wakemakers, he says he does 3 main adjustments to Supra/Moombas....1.) replace single pump and sylenoids to 3 jabsco reversible pumps. Full system overhaul Sounds nice, but don't have the dough right now. 2.) relocate the drain pumps from the mounting bracket directly to the bag itself, supposed to help with priming-I'm doing this because sometimes my drain works and sometimes not. I can always hear the pump running, but not always draining. 3.) add vent lines to the bags that T into the drain to help with air in bag---jury is out on this one...is it a huge benefit? I think to get all 3 vent setups it's gonna cost about $90, just curious if its worth it???
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       07-13-2010, 9:15 PM Reply   
Jeremy,

I vented all my bags and I do believe it helps. The front bag especially in my ski locker tends to pick up a lot of air when traveling down the road, I was loosing about 20% capacity by not having the bags vented, IMO well worth the $90.

And for what its worth, I re-did my ballast fill/drain in my '08 using Tsunami pumps and it works much better than the pre '09 model systems with the sprinkler valves, here is a link to see what I did. Cost was about $450 for all parts. I can fill 1900 lbs in about 9-10 minutes. Supra built a great boat with a terrible ballast fill/drain system all the way up to '08. In '09 they went to the JABSCO pumps which work much better.

http://www.supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=4595
Old     (hawk22)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-18-2010, 10:44 PM Reply   
i love little black levers on pumps. that was simple. system works perfect.
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-19-2010, 8:30 PM Reply   
Name:  GetAttachment.jpg
Views: 2378
Size:  37.7 KB

So where is my little lever on this solenoid? I knew where they were but when I checked them, no lever. I have a 03 ssv for reference
Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       07-19-2010, 9:08 PM Reply   
Ryan yours are different then mine and the ones posted above. Have you had any problems from those? The ones posted above can be bought at Home Depot or Lowes for about $15.00
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-19-2010, 10:07 PM Reply   
Any idea if it would be a direct swap? I am having problems with the right rear ballast filling on its own and not draining so I think the solenoid is definitely the problem. Obviously the downstream fitting goes into the hose and uses a hose clamp. What's on the other fitting?
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-20-2010, 12:16 PM Reply   
Anyone?
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       07-20-2010, 1:16 PM Reply   
Call wakemakers or come over to supraboats.com/bbs
Old     (rmcronin)      Join Date: Aug 2002       07-22-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
I'm not clear on what empties my ballast. I just started having problems with my front ballast not emptying, 2004 Supra. I always assumed it was the solenoids. Am I wrong? My rear ballast empties fine, but the front will fill, but not empty. Help!
Old     (craig_f)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-22-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
Nope there is a drain pump for each bag. On our 24ssv the front pump is bolted in the back of the front locker right next to the front bag.
Old     (craig_f)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-22-2010, 5:52 PM Reply   
Oh, yah, don't forget to check the fuse first!
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-23-2010, 12:46 PM Reply   
Which fuse? You're talking under the dash? Can anyone provide a pic? Thanks.
Old     (craig_f)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-23-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
The fuses on mine are on there own fuse block. On a 06' 24ssv they are under the dash in front of the perfect pass module and labeled front/drain ect.
Old     (ryan387)      Join Date: Mar 2004       07-24-2010, 11:21 AM Reply   
Yeah, youre talking about the black fuse block with little plastic reset push buttons if they pop right? I don't think thats my issue because the other two bags fill and drain as they are supposed to, but it could be someone else issue
Old     (craig_f)      Join Date: Feb 2008       07-24-2010, 11:37 AM Reply   
No, my boat also has a separate fuse block under the dash with bus type fuses for the pumps. Your boat might be different, I always assumed it was separate because if someone ordered a sunsport without ballast they were not needed. Easiest thing to do is pull the suspect pump and hook it up to any 12v power source. if it runs, the problem is somewhere else (the switches have been known to go bad) If not go and buy a livewell pump from any marine center. Just be sure that when you mount the new pump it is as low as possible. The first time I did this, I mounted it 1 INCH higher than it originaly was, and the pump would not prime or drain. I gotta try the vented loop idea, never thought about it but I do get allot of air in the bags.