Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through October 28, 2007

Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-09-2007, 10:05 AM Reply   
Anyone see the new pickle fork Chaparral wake boat? It looks really good surprisingly. We had one at our shop for a few minutes before it went to the Oakland boat show. I'll try to get some pics when it comes back.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-09-2007, 10:11 AM Reply   
inboard? or an i/o with a tower?
Old     (air_master)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-09-2007, 10:24 AM Reply   
They are actually making it an i/o with a tower, it will have perfect pass and also ballast system.
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-09-2007, 11:28 AM Reply   
That's the 2008 model of Chap's Sunesta deck boat. I heard they revamped them to have the pickle fork for 08. Here's a link to read some info and a couple of pics.
http://www.proctormarine.com/Detail.asp?pid=186&Key=

(Message edited by iridelow1998 on September 09, 2007)
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-09-2007, 12:47 PM Reply   
rinker has something similar aswell, with ballast and pp
Old     (wakinbakin)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-09-2007, 12:55 PM Reply   
We have one in our showroom at work right now, burnt orange in color. They are making it in three different sizes. The one we have in the showroom is a 224 and it seems huge compared to the Moomba outback beside it. When I stand next to it the rubrail is about as tall as me. I will try and post some pics later this week.
Old     (wakinbakin)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-09-2007, 1:02 PM Reply   
The one in our showroom looks a little bit different than these ones (different windshield and graphics). These pics were taken at the Chapparral dealer meeting.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-09-2007, 1:04 PM Reply   
nice looking boat for the family, def nice to have a boat like that if your out in rough water often.
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-09-2007, 1:06 PM Reply   
Looks like a mix of Sessions and CC.
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       09-09-2007, 1:21 PM Reply   
I like it - they took a lot of the smart features of the Session & new CC, and made them actually look good.
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-09-2007, 2:05 PM Reply   
Is it legal to sit on the rear seat while underway?
Old     (bbking)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-09-2007, 4:59 PM Reply   
don't talk to me about chaparral... i'm so sick of having to edge in so hard and barely clear my wake

gosh i want a wakeboard boat so bad
Old     (want2ridealot)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-09-2007, 5:37 PM Reply   
sweet looking boat. It's not a wakeboard boat. I completely understand Chapperels marketing strategy and target market, but it seems like to me they are tricking their buyers. Unless you are looking for a run about that looks like a wakeboard boat but don't intend to do much wakeboarding, then it's the boat for you. I think this is going to take away some inboard sales. I am biased though. When is the last time you saw Chapperel contribute to the sport of wakeboarding.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-09-2007, 6:55 PM Reply   
looks like any other i/o with a tower to me.
Old     (clubjoe)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-09-2007, 7:35 PM Reply   
[["When is the last time you saw Chapperel contribute to the sport of wakeboarding".]]

Ren-- Every time someone gets up behind one...
Old     (bob)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-09-2007, 10:32 PM Reply   
Brett what speed are you riding, rope length, and trim position? I/O's are very finicky about what speed is good for a nice size wake, usually just as you get on plane which means your also about to come off plane.
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-09-2007, 10:41 PM Reply   
Wait, just look at the graphic symbol on the side! It looks like there's at least an X or two in there. That alone should let you all know it will have an incredible wake. Why, just the other day I saw some jet boat/glorified pwc with a big phat X on the side. I sure felt crappy sitting in my Nautique while I watched those dual 4 stroke jet engines powering that true wake machine with an X on its side.
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-10-2007, 6:10 AM Reply   
I read the marketing on this thing and have to agree that it's not a wakeboat. It's a v-bottom with as much seating as a deck boat. The link above doesn't even mention the word wakeboard. There's no reason you can't make a wakeboat with an I/O powerplant but this isn't it.
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       09-10-2007, 8:42 AM Reply   
thats almost as bad as the picture of some one surfing in a reinell brocher. ps if the platform is so friggin big why not make it removable so it'll fit in a gararge. Ohh yeah that way you can sell a 19' boat as a 21' IMO (drove them on the same day same lake) a centurion avy has a better rough water ride then 22' chap or four winns.
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-10-2007, 9:00 AM Reply   
I wonder if its the same hull as the Tomcat?
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2007, 10:17 AM Reply   
I have a 2006 220 SSI Chaparral. 3500lbs dry weight; 57 gallon gas tank ~400lbs; two fat sacks 350# & 150# = 500; and still a S***** wake! Trying to get the wake dialed in is almost impossible. One minute it looks good, the rider makes a cut, then its off. And yes, as Brett B. said, you have to charge the wake to clear it.

First I thought it was me (the rider), But then my cousin bought an 04 Xstar and my riding has improved drastically. I went from barely clearing the wake, to w2w, hs 180, and some grabs.

Sorry to rant, but my guess is the wake on the new Chapparal will suck too. Perfect boat for a poser.
Old     (xtreme_marine_kc)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-10-2007, 10:32 AM Reply   
The Xtreme package does include some real modifications that enhance the wake performance.
It has Perfect Pass, and front ballast.
They also have utilized trim tabs on the boat, which when deployed below a neutral position, will give you the 90 degree crisp edge needed to get some pop on the otherwise tame wake. (the difference between simply having a big wake, and having the size and shape needed for a good wake)
As a dealer sells and has sold nearly every top brand of wakeboard boats, I speak with some degree of expertise.
I am truly amped about the new Xtreme series Chaparral's.
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-10-2007, 10:49 AM Reply   
Xtreme, thanks for the info. I hope this boat is different and or better. Our boat is still fun and better than nothing, just sometimes I get frustrated with it (the wake).

This could be great for me. My dad won't buy a v-drive or a direct drive because we deal with a lot of choppy water. This boat could be the one to meet both of our needs.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-10-2007, 11:09 AM Reply   
Babies got back! That boat has more tail than Jennifer Lopez.
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-10-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
I don't know why people are bashing this boat. They don't bill it as a wakeboat, the one in the link doesn't have a tower on it or anything. Chap simply used the pickle fork front end. It's just a different front end design so why bash the boat and say it's for a poser. There are plenty of people who maybe enjoy boating but are occasional wakeboarders or only have kids who enjoy to wakeboard. The boat wasn't designed to put out a competition style wake. Read their marketing and explain where you see the word wake anywhere. It's got what looks like a 3 foot Chaparral logo on the side so I don't think they're trying to fool anyone into thinking it's an X-star either.
Sorry for the rant but to each his own, if you don't like it for your needs don't buy it but don't bash or down people who this boat might be perfect for. And NO, I don't own one nor am I looking to buy one.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-10-2007, 6:36 PM Reply   
whats the otd on one of these?
Old     (pwningjr)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-10-2007, 6:42 PM Reply   
you gotta admit though, it has a pretty good looking tower
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-10-2007, 7:10 PM Reply   
I'm impressed. Looks pretty nice to me. And isn't taking wakeboarding more mainstream a good thing?
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-10-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
"And isn't taking wakeboarding more mainstream a good thing?"

i think that would be a great thread topic in itself.

again, whats an otd price on one of these boats. id like to see cost comparison, not msrp, thats a joke to me, what are people paying for them?
Old    dabigkahuna            09-10-2007, 9:01 PM Reply   
Can someone say "LAWSUIT". Who ever came up with the idea of making a bench seat on the swim platform should be shot!

Amazing what those corporate folk will come up with to make a buck!
Old     (jhmorgan)      Join Date: Sep 2007       09-10-2007, 9:10 PM Reply   
This boat highlites my biggest problem with Chapparral, that they make half the boat a swim platform...I see guys riding around their "21'" braggin about the length they have, when in reality they are in an 18'....Does not make sense to me that these can be included in overall length
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-10-2007, 9:37 PM Reply   
otd pricing, anyone, anyone, bueller, bueller???????
Old     (colorider)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-10-2007, 10:13 PM Reply   
That rear facing bench seat can't be legit or even legal. That is just absurd for safety reasons alone.
Old     (wake_pirate)      Join Date: Mar 2007       09-11-2007, 10:19 PM Reply   
As an I/O owner, I have progresses more behind my buddys D drives & V drives more than I ever could behing my inconsistant I/O. If youre just trying to get up behind a boat...any boat will do. If your really trying to ride, you need the right equipt.
Old     (silverwake)      Join Date: May 2007       09-12-2007, 2:44 PM Reply   
Doesn't Four Winns have rear facing seats? I haven't heard about any legal problems they're having. Couldn't they just state that those seats aren't to be used while the boat is moving? May defeat the purpose, but might get around the liability issue.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-12-2007, 2:54 PM Reply   
yah fourwinns does, my dads fourwinns funship has a rear facing loveseat, but there is a sticker in the boat that states not to be sat in while boat is in gear
Old     (wakesetter101)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-12-2007, 3:06 PM Reply   
That boat look pretty good if you ask me.

There are lots of boats with the rear seats like that.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-12-2007, 3:07 PM Reply   
can the bench seat be strictly for the purpose of sitting, and putting your board on?? I dont get my board on that way, but I know alot of people do.
Old     (wakeboardnut)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-12-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
i think we need a wake pic
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-12-2007, 3:11 PM Reply   
That bench is for:

1) putting your board on
2) tempting people to sit on it while under way
3) getting tickets for having people on it while under way
4) killing people for having people on it while under way

Bringing innovation to a new level.
Old     (dirtyjerz)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-12-2007, 5:12 PM Reply   
Doesnt seem like the rear facing bench would be a legal liability problem. If people are silly enough to sit there while underway, then thats on them. Its kinda like the tv's in cars. The car is supposed to be in Park when the flip out is playing a movie, but almost every audio shop bypasses that at the customers request. As long as its stated somewhere what u can and cannot do with it, legally they are covered.
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-13-2007, 8:21 AM Reply   
I kind of like the lines on that thing and like those boats with walkways to the rear deck. The rear deck on that thing is ginormous and and first glance the rear seat would seem reasonably safe on calm rides, but wouldn't trust my kids there!
I just think they could have made it with a rear facing spotter seat with wrap around seating. I understand some people like the co-captain chair, but for how this thing is marketted, think a v-drive style of seating would have been better.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-13-2007, 8:32 AM Reply   
I personally like the huge swim deck, and bench. No its not legal to sit there because you don't have a railing, or gunnel. It is simply to put board,skis etc on and sit while floating. I would assume they market it as such.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-13-2007, 3:10 PM Reply   
Ok the 244 just came back and I got some pics. Sorry they're not the greatest (P&S work camera) but the boat looks really good. I'm trying to talk my GM into letting me take it out for a real demo (WW style SACKED out). I'll keep you posted on that. Anyways enjoy.

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

Upload

and one of the 224

Upload
Old     (ghostrider_2)      Join Date: Aug 2004       09-13-2007, 3:59 PM Reply   
Personally I think it is freakin UGLY! not to mention there is NO WAY I would let my kids on back of that with the screws right under the rear deck. No thanks! I would rather buy a used V-drive or direct drive before I got that.
Old     (prostar205v)      Join Date: Aug 2002       09-13-2007, 4:21 PM Reply   
Four Winns is coming out with their version as well.

http://fourwinns.com/sl262/index.php

As far as the back seat, I could see it for hanging out. No to riding.
Old     (westsiderippa)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-13-2007, 4:21 PM Reply   
wow still no otd price for me, thanks guys! i will just take the red and white bu in the background and save my face while im surfing
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       09-13-2007, 6:12 PM Reply   
Where to start????
1. Swim platform/seat is a accident waiting to happen.
2. No storage space for any gear or coolers!
3. It still an I/O!
4. The rear 33% of the boat is useless...except for encouraging people to do stupid things.
5. It says it is a 22 footer but holds enough people as any 19' V drive would.
6. It is a craparral...i mean chaparral.
Old     (rio_sanger)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-13-2007, 8:09 PM Reply   
"Mommy, can we sit on the rear seat while we're going slow?"
"OK,but just this one time."
(mom hits throttle by mistake a little hard)
"MOMMY!! SUZIE SLIPPED OFF THE BACK!!!"
"OH, $#!T" (mommy panics and throws it in hard reverse)
"Mommy I don't see Suzie, why is the water all red??"
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-13-2007, 8:38 PM Reply   
The Four Winns looks a lot like an X80 IMO.
With that said, they will never compete with a true inboard.
Old     (hixsonaz)      Join Date: May 2007       09-13-2007, 10:52 PM Reply   
it looks like a tricked out deck boat. those options on there like tower-graphics-trim plates etc may help, but the boat is what it is. This will be plenty of boat for lots of people, but its not for me.
Old     (woreout)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-14-2007, 6:18 AM Reply   
To me it looks like a CC 226 with with 2 points stuck on the front end to make the front end look like a picklefork, ugly. The Four Winns looks like they actually put some thought into it and made a completely new boat, looks nice.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-14-2007, 6:28 AM Reply   
Billy i agree, that Four Winns does look nice.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-14-2007, 6:51 AM Reply   
The dash is pretty bad.
Old     (hymaeringo)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-14-2007, 7:40 AM Reply   
this is the equivalent of salomon making snowboards
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-14-2007, 10:02 AM Reply   
MOX ~ There is 4 coolers in the boat and alot of storage. The back seat is not to ride around on. It's a place to sit and chill or put on your wakeboard.

Brian ~ The 244 is around 65K plus tax and all that other stuff. I'm not to sure about the price on the 224.

I don't know why all the hating is going on with these boats. It's not like they are trying to take over the wake boarding world. It is a great looking boat for that person looking for a multi purpose boat. Just take it for what it's worth and chill out. I think they did a really good job on it.

Like I said, I'm going to sac one out and take it for a real ride to check out the wake....... stay tuned!
Old     (aarond0083)      Join Date: Apr 2007       09-14-2007, 10:51 AM Reply   
65K?

Why not buy a new 210 or X2 and all the latest wake gear to go with it.
Old     (chaser)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-14-2007, 10:51 AM Reply   
For 65K you could buy a super nice V-drive. What advantages does this boat have over a v-drive?
Old     (kmcginty)      Join Date: Sep 2005       09-14-2007, 11:10 AM Reply   
^^Not everyone wants a v-drive. Poeple dont buy run abouts and I/O s because they cant afford a ski boat. Many dont want a ski boat. Only people that are addicted enough to register to a wake site and take time out of their day to discuss such boats would rather have a V-drive wakeboat.

As for advantages, many boaters dont want to have the fear of a fixed prop and shaft looming over their heads while they just want to hang out with their large groups of friends. It also appears to have a pisser, not found on most wake boats.
Old     (mctc)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-14-2007, 11:33 AM Reply   
I would much rather have a fixed prop and shaft looming over my head rather than a lower unit. You damage the lower unit and you are in way worse shape than a nibral prop and prop shaft.

Apparently you can't hang out with a large group of friends on a X-45 (only an 18 person capacity), and if you buy an I/O for a pisser you have some problems....that's what the lake is for.
Old     (waterfreak)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-14-2007, 11:40 AM Reply   
Not everyone is looking for a v-drive. That being said someone buying this I/O is leaning toward a wakeboard boat of some sort. For 65k you can have your pick of some of the best v-drives made for this purpose. Seems way overpriced for an I/O and its purpose.
Old     (baschralper)      Join Date: Dec 2001       09-14-2007, 11:44 AM Reply   
there are some very closed minded people on this site.

(Message edited by baschralper on September 14, 2007)
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-14-2007, 11:51 AM Reply   
I agree with Kdubz
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-14-2007, 11:52 AM Reply   
"I would much rather have a fixed prop and shaft looming over my head rather than a lower unit. You damage the lower unit and you are in way worse shape than a nibral prop and prop shaft."

You have to compare apples to apples. An outdrive takes a pretty severe hit to damage it. The hydraulic rams have a fluid bypass on all major semi-modern outdrives (Merc, Volvo, and even non-Stringer OMC) that cause the drive to bounce on impact. You might nick your $120 outdrive prop but the drive itself isn't very prone to impact damage.

The biggest pro I see for an I/O is gas usage. I keep dabbling with the idea of moving up to a proper inboard but I'll sure miss only have to fill up my 20 gallon tank once per weekend.
Old     (mctc)      Join Date: Oct 2006       09-14-2007, 12:00 PM Reply   
I/O companies are making boats like this because the watersports boats are one of the only markets that are seeing growth, and they want a piece.

I will pay for the extra gas to have a great watersports experience.
Old     (jaubrey)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-14-2007, 12:16 PM Reply   
Listen guys, we have two boats: A Mastercraft X30 and a Family Deckboat crusier. Both of them do things better than the other one. These people are probably searching for a happy medium and although I agree, the wake will not be good, it allows them to put wakeboards on a tower and out of the way, have a bunch of people and go out on the lake, and have a good time. I would never subsititute the crusier for the X for wakeboarding but, we do like to be able to take off in our cruiser and jsut have a good time and beach our boat from time to time with friends.

Just because we prefer one thing over the other, doesn't mean that we are right. Why is Porsche and Aston Martin making high performance vehicles in sedans and suvs? The coupes will always out perform the sedans/suvs, but they offer more practical uses.

As for the toilet, this allows you to advoid some taxes in most states, (You can treat it as a second home).
Old     (jbarber3orange)      Join Date: Aug 2007       09-14-2007, 12:36 PM Reply   
First, better gas mileage. Second, the rough water ride is much better. Im not saying that I like I/O better but those are the two advantages I've noticed when comparing our boat with my cousins X Star. (2006 Chaparral 220 SSI vs. 2004 X Star)
Old     (jayson_49)      Join Date: May 2007       09-14-2007, 1:19 PM Reply   
is there a reason why these I/O companies can't start making inboards? maybe a dumb question.

hey ringo, solomon makes great snowboards!.... just as connelly skis makes great wakeboards--CWB
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-14-2007, 1:27 PM Reply   
That 244 looks to have a Bravo 3, that isn't a $120 prop.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260159590217

(Message edited by evil0ne on September 14, 2007)
Old     (iridelow1998)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-14-2007, 2:58 PM Reply   
If you like it then buy it. If you don't like it don't buy it. Stop bashing something just because it's not for you. I personally don't like sushi but I don't feel that everyone who does eat it is a moron. It's okay to prefer one thing over another but there's no reason to act like we're 10 years old here. Yes, a wake boat will put out the meanest wake but I'm sure for the recreational boarder who just wants to enjoy the lake and take family along this boat is just fine. Why down that guy because it's not your choice of boats?
Old     (jaysus)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-14-2007, 7:36 PM Reply   
Ok idea, but good luck trying to find 22.5 mph on that dash if there PP isn't on board. Any watersports with a lower unit scares the poop out of me.
Old     (wephilli)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-14-2007, 7:54 PM Reply   
I wakeboarded behind that beast. It was pretty sick!! Contrary to what you would think it threw a really nice wake with only three people in the boat and no ballast filled up. Then we weighted down and it was damn nice. I have riden behind all the top comp boats, and this thing does its job. It had a hard wake which I thought was impossible to get behind a I/O. All around sick boat, don't talk crap until you have rode behind one... You'll be suprised... I think the future of req riding is pulling this way.
Old     (wakemitch)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-14-2007, 8:19 PM Reply   
very close minded people in this thread.

there are some families out there that want a boat that does it all. most boaters arent hardcore wakeboarders. i have worked at a shop for almost a year now and i have only met maybe 10 people that are diehards. most people that come in think going w2w is too crazy and extreme and is for pros.
this boat is going to sell to families that want a great family boat that handles well(we all know i/o are nicer to drive), has a head( ive seen many women refuse to buy a boat without one), and for a family that has kids that want to wakeboard.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-14-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
Well said Mitch!
Old     (marshk344)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-14-2007, 10:00 PM Reply   
I ride chapparal, only took me about 4 years to get the wake dialed in (relatively speaking ofcourse). But I don't see anything wrong with what they're doing. You have to make profits somehow right?
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-14-2007, 11:41 PM Reply   
I don't understand spending that much realestate on the back yard where you put your board on and climb out of the water. Call me old fashion, but I prefer a spacious cabin, a sun deck, and a modest swim platform.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-25-2007, 10:37 AM Reply   
Dane ~ You are old fashion, but there is a market out there for this type of boat and Chaparral hit the nail on the head!
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-25-2007, 10:50 AM Reply   
Yes. Probably true.

I wonder if people will start wakesurfing behind that boat? With the IO mostly hidden one may think it OK for wakesurfing.
Old     (notsobueno)      Join Date: Dec 2004       09-25-2007, 10:53 AM Reply   
Ant Bug....demo the damn thing with pictures and shut some of these people up please.
Old     (breakz77)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-25-2007, 7:59 PM Reply   
Ant... you know we're Demo'n that loaded down from my dock in the Dirty D.. company training... hell let's even invite Scott AAA