Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through February 04, 2005

Old    jmo52            01-03-2005, 10:50 PM Reply   
I'm lookin to go houseboating for a long weekend in April(thurs thru sun). We go to Trinity every year in Aug. I cant wait that long. So I wanted to take advantage of off season rates and try a new lake. What do ya think about Bullards Bar?
Old     (hillbilly)      Join Date: Aug 2002       01-04-2005, 2:48 AM Reply   
Water might be cold still. But it is an absolutely beautiful lake. And there should not be alot of people there yet.
Old    walt            01-04-2005, 4:36 AM Reply   
I've only heard good things about Bullards.
Old     (rdiestler)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-04-2005, 5:37 AM Reply   
You will definately love the lake, but the house boats they have to rent are not that nice. You can check them out http://www.bullardsbar.com
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-04-2005, 7:06 AM Reply   
B-Bar is my home lake, us locals have done a crummy job of keeping it a secret...
Jeff is right, the water will still be cold, and the debris from the winter run-off down the North Fork of the Yuba will be pretty extreme, considering the winter we seem to be having.
If you are wanting to hit the off-season, I would do it in the fall. Our gang has done several rentals at that time of year. The lake is awesome in Sept. early Oct. as long as they don't pull the plug too early.
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-04-2005, 7:08 AM Reply   
It is the BEST lake in California hands down! It will be cold as hell. I can remember a trip a few years back there and the water was like 39/40.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-04-2005, 7:34 AM Reply   
I went in May of 2003. The water was comfortable. The lake was completely full. It was awesome.

I agree. BB is the best lake.
Old     (pureliquid)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-04-2005, 8:20 AM Reply   
Ahhhh, Bullards Bar. I love that lake. My absolute favorite.

You'll love it.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       01-04-2005, 1:06 PM Reply   
That time of year I might consider something at a lower altitude, just because of water temp. If it is 39/40 like Jason said it's gonna be really cold. I don't like to ride anything under 48ish, with 50-52 usually being the lowest, but I guess it really depends on air temp (and how much of a baby you are...WA/NW riders insert comments here). 70-80 degree air can make cold water soo much more tolerable.
Old    jmo52            01-04-2005, 1:08 PM Reply   
Thanks for all your input. So what I gather is kick A$$ lake and bring my drysuit.
Old    wake_101            01-04-2005, 6:28 PM Reply   
Are you sure about that Buffalow. My home lake is Shasta Lake not a far pace from BB. And if you ask me ( I've never actualy been to BB just seen pics ) it looks a lot like Shasta...I say everyone sends in requests for Shasta Lake to host Boardstock again... I loved it when it was here.....Although I didn't board at the time was still sooo fun..
Old     (pureliquid)      Join Date: Feb 2004       01-04-2005, 9:27 PM Reply   
Aaron - That's funny that you say that. Whenever someone asks me about Bullards Bar, I always tell them to picture a Mini Shasta and that will give you an idea of what Bullards looks like. Beautiful emerald green water surrounded by tree-lined shores.

Anyway, I've been out there in mid to late April the past three years, and have trunked it with no problem. Some people may need a spring suit to tolorate it, but it really was not that bad.
Old    jmo52            01-04-2005, 11:52 PM Reply   
Hey if any of you guys got some pics BRING IT!! Do you think it would be better to houseboat it or stay in the local motel, considering the time of year? Is there any lodging near by?
Old     (sacdeep)      Join Date: Aug 2001       01-05-2005, 1:25 AM Reply   
I dont think the houseboat scene is that great at Bullards Bar, but In my opinon I would rent a RV and stay at the camp grounds or go 20 minutes up the road and go to Oroville where the houseboat scene is better
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-05-2005, 7:17 AM Reply   
Oroville houseboats really went to shiat this last year too. We had the mechanic out three times. Coupla batteries, a starter, and some other stuff. No credit for down time either. After three straight years, I'm done with them. Bullards is a much nicer looking lake.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-05-2005, 8:43 AM Reply   
Monk...

The closest motels that I know of are in Nevada City / Grass Valley, about 40 min. drive from the dam. The RV type campgrounds are five min. from the dam, about 3 min from the Dark Day Ramp.
The rental houseboats on the lake are not that fancy, but they do serve the purpose. We've rented them at least three or four times, even tho we can be on the water one hour from pulling out of the driveway.
All my pics are 35mm, no scanner. Sorry.
Old     (wakehound)      Join Date: Oct 2003       01-05-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
God I love that lake. It's gotten really crowded the last few years.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-05-2005, 10:05 AM Reply   
Here are some shots I found off of google.

BB
bb1
bb2
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-05-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
More Shots....

Camp/Lake/Map/Fun

Marina
lake2
lake3
PAIN
HAHAHA
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-05-2005, 1:54 PM Reply   
Aaron, looks like you got WORKED on that raley! ouch!
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       01-05-2005, 2:09 PM Reply   
Worked is an understatement... LOL

DEDICATION - still holding on 1 foot off the water, LOL.... That weekend @ Bullards Bar was the wekend I first landed the raley... Needless to say it wasnt on that attempt but my persistance paid off.

BTW - seen some shots of you killing it this year - got some more tricks under ur belt bro - good job!

Bullards Bar overall is an amazing lake, Shasta is my fav, then Bullards, Pedro, Orville and so on...
Old     (sup208)      Join Date: May 2004       01-06-2005, 11:56 AM Reply   
We like Bullards as well. Last year when we where there the USFS, or who ever is in charge, was handing out a flier that says the 320 boat limit will be enforced in 2005 and beyond. They told me that that is usually only a problem on holiday weekends.
Old    whitechocolate            01-06-2005, 2:13 PM Reply   
rock jump
Old    oshensurfer            01-06-2005, 4:45 PM Reply   
Bullards is a cool lake (both ways). No doubt.
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-06-2005, 5:46 PM Reply   
The lake is a joint venture between USFS/Tahoe Nat'l Forest and the Yuba County Water Agency. Yuba Co. sheriff is the lead Law Enforcement Agency on the water, and in the campgrounds they have a joint-powers agreement with USFS.

For many years the parking limitations were sort of a self-limiting tool. The locals (like me) will tell you that the lake got "discovered" by the folks from the large towns in the valley back in years when Folsom dried up regularly.

For the last several years, the concessionaire has advertised like crazy in Nevada, and now many of the vehicles in the parking lot are from Reno. Don't ask how I know, but many of the houseboats are owned by folks out of Reno, too.

There were many years back in the early late 70's early 80's when you could pull in to Dark Day at 10:30 am on a big weekend and recognize darn near every vehicle in the lot....

All 20 or so of them....
Old    jmo52            01-06-2005, 10:23 PM Reply   
Thanks for the pics. It looks nice there. I like all the trees.

ARY DAD. I live north of the Bay Area whats the pull like. I would'nt think it would be to bad.
Old    jmo52            01-06-2005, 10:26 PM Reply   
OPPS!! Here's your M ARMY DAD.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       01-07-2005, 6:19 AM Reply   
you guys have inspired me. I'm going to book a houseboat today!
Old     (sam8)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-07-2005, 8:20 AM Reply   
Not bad. The best way for you to come would be via Marysville/Yuba City, then Hwy. 20 east towards Grass Valley, then left on Marysville Road up to the lake.
The area is around 2000 ft. elevation, the last fifteeen or so miles are the climb up into the foothills. If you pull with a full size rig it will be a piece of cake. A smaller SUV and a full size boat will take longer and you'll be downshifting a little more, but you will still make it.
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       01-07-2005, 8:27 AM Reply   
I have heard from other people as well that BB is an awesome place to spend the week. I was hoping to hit it up this summer, but decided on Mead instead. meeting family from AZ, and it was more in the middle for everyone. after reading this thread, I am definitely heading up there next summer!
Old    jmo52            01-08-2005, 11:48 AM Reply   
With all this info now April seems like it's to long to wait! Thanks guys.