Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-25-2011, 1:45 PM Reply   
I think i might need new batteries. So when my speakers are all the way up they seem to be surging a bit. more like cutting in and out. No one else notices it but me and my buddy. My batteries are 3 years old.. Deep cycle basic batteries powering 3 amps..... should i just pull those and put in two blue blue tops? or add the two blue tops? Or is this even my problem?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-25-2011, 2:01 PM Reply   
And how many beers have you had when the "surging" starts. I am totally kidding.

Sure, start with the batteries but don't just go off and replace them. Take them over to your local Sears or Auto Parts Store and have them load tested.

If they are bad - replace the ones that you need to replace.

There are some better alternatives out there when is comes to dollar spent per amp hour. Nothing wrong with Optimas though if you like em. The Interstate SRM 29 is pretty popular but you may have to also purchase larger battery boxes.

What type of AC charging system do you utilize to charge and maitain the batteries
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-25-2011, 2:07 PM Reply   
Probably a few beer.lol

I havnt really been charging them, i have just been letting the alternator do the work. should i be charging them? bc thats a pain. i think my main problem is that that amps are drawing to much power and not enough battery.
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-25-2011, 2:16 PM Reply   
2 smaller blue tops total should be ok with your stock alternator. The problem occurs when you have those days where you deplete the batteries and your alternator does not have the balls to charge them back up to a fully charged state. I think that you will find that most guys here do employ and AC shore charger when the boat is not in the water. The place where you store your boat - do you have access to an electrical outlet or a light socket.

You can setup your charger so that all you have to do is plug it into the wall and be done. You just unplug it next time you take the boat out.

What amps are you running?
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-25-2011, 2:30 PM Reply   
so i have 2 crap performance technique amps,one running a sub an interiors i think and another running 4 polks. I have no idea how they wired them, then i installed a ARC KS300.2. thats what pulls a ton of power. Id like to replace the rest of the amps with ARC. But i just want this set up to work fine because im more concerned about the wake then the audio.

Well i have power at both locations were i keep my boat. In a storage unit and on a hoist in the back yard.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-25-2011, 3:13 PM Reply   
Should i justkeep my batteries and buy one of these?

http://www.earmarkcaraudio.com/Xcart...cat=261&page=1
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-25-2011, 4:46 PM Reply   
Bump
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-25-2011, 7:43 PM Reply   
Michael,
Your battery scheme will decide for you which charger will be the best. And you should have a charger. 6+6 amps would be minimum for two group 24 or 34 batteries but not up to the job with a couple of larger batteries. So put that decision off for just a bit until you have a final solution for your batteries. Its not particular healthy for your alternator when you try to run your batteries past their time. Its at the beginning of the season so its the perfect time to address this. You've got to get your batteries load tested to really determine their true condition.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       04-25-2011, 9:04 PM Reply   
Michael if you do end up buying new batteries your dollar will go way further on something other than Optima's and you'll get alot more playtime too.
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-26-2011, 9:10 AM Reply   
David,

Thank you for your response. If they fail the load test what batteries would you recommend or solution to fix this?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-26-2011, 12:03 PM Reply   
Michael,
For a small block in warm weather I would think a group 24 dual purpose or deep cycle would be fine for starting. In a std lead acid most prefer the group 29 Interstate deep cycle (same basic size as a group 31) as their dedicated stereo battery. If you have the space for a couple of group 27 cases or trays then you can run a group 29 on both banks and alternate their function every other weekend. This scheme will give you a little longer lifespan. A single wet group 29 should give you around 100 amp/hours or roughly the playtime of two of the Optima group 34s.
If you would like an AGM you might consider the Deka SeaMate series rather than the Optimas as they provide around one third more capacity in a similar size of battery.
That's adequate for most people. Your total amplifier wattage, amplifier efficiency, how hard and long you expect to play your system at rest, will collectively determine how much battery capacity you need. A fully charged 50 amp/hours might equate to a 1000 watt total system run hard for one hour, as a crude example.
Then you want a dual-bank three-stage charger that has a total amperage capacity that is at least 10 percent of your total (both) batteries' collective amp/hour rating.

David
Earmark Marine
Old     (Michael)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-26-2011, 12:37 PM Reply   
David,

Thank you for the options. It sounds like load test (probably fail) then i will purchase two new batteries. do you have a charger you recomend on your site?
Old     (david_e_m)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-26-2011, 1:24 PM Reply   
Michael,
Yes, but not until I know exactly what batteries you are going with. Then PM or email me. It'll be a breeze.
Thanks.
David
Earmark Marine