Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old    focsyblonde            12-31-2004, 5:37 PM Reply   
i need sum ideas on how to get used to riding switch??! i'm fine at goofy but cant get used to regular.. is it all muscle memory?
Old     (wake_eater)      Join Date: May 2003       12-31-2004, 6:05 PM Reply   
practice, practice, & more practice
Old     (dallas141)      Join Date: Jun 2004       12-31-2004, 6:21 PM Reply   
what chuck said, i haven't been on the water in like 5 months, but I just started to ride switch near the end. The first time up was a nightmare, I could only go for about 50 yards, it just felt so damn akward. But just like anything, the more I did it, the more comfortable I got. Just cant get frustrated and keep working at it. Good luck.
Old    focsyblonde            12-31-2004, 6:43 PM Reply   
sweet thanks!... i figured.. i didnt know if i was like deformed or sumthing.. hahaha..
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-31-2004, 7:01 PM Reply   
Devote every other set to riding switch
Old    alanp            01-01-2005, 6:36 PM Reply   
snowboard and skateboard
Old     (rodeo)      Join Date: Apr 2002       01-01-2005, 8:03 PM Reply   
I always start the first set by getting up switch. I ride goofy so regular was really strange. Getting up switch seemed to be easier in the beginning than a surface 180. riding switch first also means that you're not tired and less likely to develope a bad habit while learning something difficult/different. just seems to work for me
Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       01-03-2005, 7:05 AM Reply   
break your other arm
Old     (malibususpect)      Join Date: Mar 2003       01-03-2005, 7:20 AM Reply   
yeah what toolfan said, break your lead arm so you have to ride swtich all the time. its almost a good idea!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       01-03-2005, 9:48 AM Reply   
Break your arm???

In that case just tie it up!!

But really just practice and you'll see it's not that difficult.That's what I did snowboarding and now I can go down the mountain any which way with the best of them SWITCH!! Just need to do that in WB now!!

YOU NEED WATER TIME!!
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       01-03-2005, 11:03 AM Reply   
If you don't have a skate board, buy an old one or borrow one. Ride it switch up and down your street when you are not on the water and it will start to feel natural. The more practice....the easier it gets
Old     (mvda)      Join Date: Dec 2002       01-05-2005, 10:58 PM Reply   
Learn to chop switch on a skateboard.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       01-06-2005, 7:31 AM Reply   
I got pretty good a switch by taking one switch session each time I ride. I just take one whole set and ride switch. The more I did it the better I got, now I can almost do everything switch that I can do regular. And some stuff I can only do switch.
Old     (toyotafreak)      Join Date: Sep 2003       01-06-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
Yeah, if you think wakeboarding switch feels awkward, try skating switch. WAY tougher for me. "Now, which leg do I push with", and "as long as I don't have to turn".

Wonder how it feels surfing?
Old    cdubs            01-06-2005, 9:52 AM Reply   
Ive found that the best way to learn riding switch is by doing it in rougher water. The whole time ur trying to keep your balance and work on edging back and forth, bunnyhops, etc. Once u get back in smooth water and ride switch itll be alot easier.
Old    wakegal02            01-06-2005, 9:59 AM Reply   
I think that all you need to do is practice a few times every set. Cut out 1st on your heelside a few times then your toeside. I'm not to sure if this is the same with anyone else but I couldn't use a skateboard to help with my switch rideing bc on a wakeboard my natural stance is goofie but on a skate board it's regular so maybe I'm just weird or w/e but my sugguestion is to try a friends and see if your wake/skate board stances are the same before you spend your $ if you haven't already
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-06-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
My crew and I have decided that once we all get back ito riding (new boat in about a week), we will occasionally have a "switch" day, where we will all ride switch for most of the day. Also trying to get a "naked" day. Wish me luck!!
Old    boofhead            01-07-2005, 2:22 PM Reply   
If you can get to a cable park and just go switch for the day. Maximum water time.
When you can surface 180 both ways, then bunny hop, then bunny hop back, then do each switch really quickly etc etc, till you dont notice any difference either way.
Old    dana25miller            01-07-2005, 5:43 PM Reply   
Buzz,

Too funny! Please don't post those pics hahaha
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       01-08-2005, 5:50 AM Reply   
a really good way is if you have a slalom course you can use, just go through it switch. Its gets you really used to using your edges switch.
Old     (mango)      Join Date: Mar 2004       01-08-2005, 7:55 AM Reply   
Once you get up out of the water switch 2 switch as quick as possible than ride like that for awhile until you get your balance. It comes with time.
Old    wsrmatt            02-03-2005, 11:53 AM Reply   
i just try and ride switch as much as possible each time i go riding. i do alot of switch runs also
Old     (craiger)      Join Date: May 2002       02-03-2005, 2:22 PM Reply   
I agree with skating switch. If you're not used to skating, buy a longboard skateboard, they are much easier to ride. This has helped me immensely, plus it's fun to bomb hills and cruise around in the winter when it's too cold to get in the water.
Old     (greatdane)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-03-2005, 3:37 PM Reply   
I got this from Kyle Schmitt...

Start every set with warm-up including 4 edges (reg/switch x heel/toe), 4 surface 180s (inside-out/outside-ine x heel/toe) and wake crossings.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-03-2005, 7:57 PM Reply   
I agree with Chris,

When the water is too choppy to ride, instead of calling it a day, we will usually practice riding switch all day during in the rough conditions. Then when you get back to smooth water, switch is no problem.
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-09-2005, 11:14 AM Reply   
Hey, I had the same problem getting used to riding switch. What does help a tremendous amount is to set up your bindings duck footed, so that both toes point outwards. that way you always have your lead foot in a fairly natural position... exept it could hurt your ankles if the tounge of the binding twists, and you ride hyperlite spin bindings like i do. when i ride switch, the top corner of the sides is fairly sharp, and it will cut into my ankle literally digging a hole. it sucks... but yeah just adjust your bindings a little to make it more comfortable