Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Video and Photography

Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-13-2006, 9:18 AM Reply   
I just bought my wife a Nikon D50 for her birthday, it was a whole kit that came with a lens (bought it at circuit city). I don't know anything about cameras, but this one seemed to have some good reviews. The problem is that with the lens that came with it, it doesn't zoom as far as we would like. I wanted to buy her a new lens or two for christmas and was wondering what would be a good lens. We are looking to focus on people that are about 100ft away for action shots. She also would like a "fish eye" lens. I don't know what would be good or what a "fish eye" lens is, or even how much they should cost, so any help or links would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old     (bigdad)      Join Date: Apr 2002       12-13-2006, 9:25 AM Reply   
How much do you want to spend?
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-13-2006, 9:32 AM Reply   
I really don't know how much they cost to start with. So if you could give me a range of how much they cost to start with it would be great!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-13-2006, 10:10 AM Reply   
Daniel,

A VERY good place to look is http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/ It gives you some "real world" prices that people are paying and reviews of the different lenses.

I have found that site to be a wealth of knowledge, but also a bit stuffy when using the forums.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-13-2006, 12:01 PM Reply   
If you don't want to spend a ton of $ try the Tamrom 28-300. It's not bad given it's cost. Sigma and Tamron make fairly inexpensive fisheye's, if you want a real fisheye look with that body you'll need an 8mm.

http://www.tamron.com/lenses/prod/28300_di.asp

ignore the retail, should be around $300.

http://www.sigmaphoto.com/lenses/lenses_all_details.asp?id=3319&navigator=4
Old     (dbdb)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-13-2006, 12:20 PM Reply   
Thanks for the links guys, I really appreciate it. I guess I didn't realize how expensive of a "little hobbie" I got my wife into. I noticed that the off brands are a little cheaper. Is there a big difference between the Nikon brand and others. I realize in the end you get what you pay for, but she is really just getting into photography and I was hoping to not spend a small fortune (which would leave me more money to put into the boat)!
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-13-2006, 12:26 PM Reply   
Some of the non Nikon brand lenses are very good and can save you some $. As EJ pointed out FM is a good place to start. Anything rated 9 or higher there is probably pretty safe.

I would suggest not wasting your time with the sub $200 stuff like Quanteray or Promaster though.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       12-13-2006, 12:27 PM Reply   
I have a Nikon d70s and I wanted to wait until the prices on the 28-200's come down a little. So, I have a 28-70 Nikor which should be close to what you have in the package deal and I bought a 70-300 for zoom and macro. It's a little bit of a pain to switch back and forth, but until the prices come down a little, I can manage....
Old     (cmawsr)      Join Date: Nov 2002       12-13-2006, 8:06 PM Reply   
Daniel, If your wife is going to be sticking with this hobby you will be spending a small fortune regardless. It's a slippery slope...
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-13-2006, 11:33 PM Reply   
Daniel,

I had the D50 and just upgraded to the D80. I have had the 18-70 and a 70-210. After getting tired of changing lenses I dropped the bucks on the on the 18-200. Based on my experience I would recommend getting at least a 135mm lens to take pictures at 100' out.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       12-14-2006, 7:15 AM Reply   
You could replace a couple of cheap lenses at least if not 3 with that 18-200 so that's definetly a no brainer!

Chris is right though if you start chasing the holy grail of Image quality and shoot with a few prime lenses it could get real painful!