Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through January 05, 2009

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2008, 11:51 AM Reply   
This is kinda Non-Waken but seeing as how Beer is somthing lot's of people have on their boat I thought it should be here. The water is down at our lake right now. Its like 10-15 lower than the normal winter low. We were out for a Thanksgiving boat ride. We went down to one section of the lake that is the normal summer time party spot. There is almost no water in this section right now and its super muddy. There is a big island in the center. We hadnt planned on doing a garbage day but thought that we better try and pick up what ever we could while we could still get back there.
Just for laugh's we took notes on how many of what kind of beer can's/bottles we would find.
Upload
Upload
Upload
Here are our result's LOL

Bud/Bud Lite=120
Coor's/Coors Lite = 78
Miller =27
Corona=19
Keystone=17
Heiny=6
Tecati=4
Pepsi=2
Redbull=2
Coke=1

Old     (greers_ferry_boats)      Join Date: Dec 2007       12-01-2008, 11:54 AM Reply   
Nice! And good job cleaning up.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       12-01-2008, 11:58 AM Reply   
Good man.

My guess would have been Coors / Coors Light for sure.

Cool thread
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2008, 11:59 AM Reply   
Well I didnt clean up all the way! I left 9 bag's of garbage on the island. We wanted to doubble bag the garbage but ran out of bag's next time we are out we will finish picking up and take the rest. Or mabey someone will pick up where we left off
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2008, 12:01 PM Reply   
Question: How do you think most of these end up in the lake? By accident or people just throw them in/sink them?
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-01-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
I would like to say that most end up by accident.....but that is just being lazy, so it doesn't matter.... If you dropped a can or an empty flew out on the fly....you can go and get it.

So in the end, just lazy people.

As far as your numbers. AB has 48% of the beer sales market, to 11% of Coors. So you add those 17 Stones to the Coors market...same brand and those dirty Coors drinkers are littering at a HUGE rate compared to the AB drinkers.

I always knew Coors drinkers were trash....but if you figure in the Grupo Modelo drinkers(Corona, Pacificio, Modelo).....talk about a bunch of drity ba$tard$.....
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       12-01-2008, 12:23 PM Reply   
Good job!! Major major wake karma there bro!!!
Old     (deuce)      Join Date: Mar 2002       12-01-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
Oh...and let me add, a BIG pat on the back to you Grant.

Good karma....
Old     (fletch_tx)      Join Date: Aug 2003       12-01-2008, 12:25 PM Reply   
There are plenty of losers out there who have no problems tossing their beer cans/bottles and cigarette butts into the water. I've even witnessed it with people who I would normally associate with being good people who care about Mother Nature.
Old     (tyler11boats)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-01-2008, 12:36 PM Reply   
Haha I agree with E.J.! and again.. thanks to you Grant for helping pick up the trash! My family and some friends try to make it over to our beach on Sunday evenings to try and pick up what has been left over from the weekend
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       12-01-2008, 12:40 PM Reply   
Yup, for sure.... Nice moves Grant.

I'd love to say they ended up there by accident, but that's a pretty serious concentration in a known party spot. I think people get drunk and shortsighted about the fact that they're polluting their own spot.
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-01-2008, 12:52 PM Reply   
Unfortunatly, I don't think it was an accident. It looks like the stump is a tie up area, and a bunch of lazy a$$ people trash the area, and leave it to the locals to pick up their trash.

Good job G !!
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-01-2008, 12:56 PM Reply   
Easy on the good karma your a good guy and care about the earth crap LOL. The only reason we did this is because its our home lake and don't like swimming in a trash dump. I always will lean over out of the boat and pull floating can's/bottles out of the water. If you don't care about the water quality or the lake you call home then I think somthings wrong with you.

There is a aera of the lake behind the bridge that people with no boats go to. They park their car on the street and walk along the shore line to a rock jump section. They haul in beer and food. When they take off they leave all their trash on shore. broken bottles and can's. Its a bunch white trash looking roache's. I wanna go ask/tell them to pick up but I know it wont do any good and would most likley result in a unpleasant situation. I wanna pick up after them but just cant bring myself to do it. Picking up after thoes dirty bastard's and then seeing it all messed up the next weekend would just send me over the edge. Thank god I don't own a gun! J/K. We were thinking of things we could do to solve the trash build up in that section of the lake. What do you do? Install trash can's. Then who's job its it to empty them all the time?? Any Ideas ??
Old    mendo247            12-01-2008, 1:05 PM Reply   
Cool thread! I recycle all my Coors Light! That alum is worth some money!
Old     (wakekat15)      Join Date: Jul 2005       12-01-2008, 1:14 PM Reply   
It is sad to see such low water, but even more so to see people treating the Earth/Lake as their personal garbage can! It makes me so angry to see people throw trash in the lake, out of their car window, etc. Who raises these people to think that is okay? They generally aren't the type to use trash cans even if they are conveniently staged.

Thanks, Grant for your efforts to leave the area you love better than you found it AND for sharing this thread...nice to see how many others on this forum care as well!
Old    pdxWAKE.com            12-01-2008, 2:14 PM Reply   
Yeah good to see people helping clean up other people's mess. Thanks and pat yourself on the back for a good deed!!!
Old     (bpenosa1)      Join Date: Jul 2008       12-01-2008, 2:17 PM Reply   
Grant,
There is nothing that can be done to stop the low lifes at the rock jump. There has to be thousands of broken bottles on the rock next to the jump. All those assclowns just throw their bottles against the rock to watch them break. We've yelled at them a few times but it does no good because they don't care and its not worth it for me to swim off my boat and get in a fight and ruin my day. We always anchor by the rope swing at Tulloch, we're there almost every weekend in the summer and we always pick up at least two bags full of empty bottles. One day i pulled 32 empty bottles of bud lime out of a foot deep water by the rope swing. Those bottles are clear too. could have really hurt somebody to step on them. Thanks for helping keep our lake clean.
Old     (pierce_bronkite)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-01-2008, 3:03 PM Reply   
Did you find anything else? Watch, sunglasses, etc? Kind of neat to see the bottom of your local lake.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-01-2008, 4:17 PM Reply   
pack it in? pack it out!

major props to you Grant for caring enough to do something about it.

The penalty for littering should be public flogging. And it should be applied liberally.

I still think fishermen , in general, are the worst litter bugs.

Its a bummer that breaking bottles is such fun for stupid people lacking an IQ larger than their shoe size.
Old     (bftskir)      Join Date: Jan 2004       12-01-2008, 4:24 PM Reply   
once at my old "home lake" Calero, the water level was dropping, we hit bottom out in the main lake tore off part of the skeg on the outboard and wasted the prop, it was never marked as a hazard, water dropped more over the following weeks exposing the rock outcrop, we went out and found the pieces of our engine and prop...along with about 50 other jagged torn pieces of props and lower units...yikes
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       12-01-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
It's bad enough these losers litter, but broken glass is just dangerous! Partying on the river behind the bridge is definately one of my highlights of my summer. It is absolutely beautiful back there.
Old     (mcwakerider)      Join Date: Dec 2006       12-01-2008, 4:57 PM Reply   
tulloch is so low. can you even launch boats there. we launched at south shore a couple of weeks ago and the trailer was in the river rocks and the docks were sitting on dry land.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       12-01-2008, 5:34 PM Reply   
People get black eyes for that up here
Old     (nick_scorny)      Join Date: May 2007       12-01-2008, 9:05 PM Reply   
You can still launch at connor. I found a cell phone this weekend by our dock.

Heres just a picture of how far away the boat is from the house now.

Upload
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-02-2008, 2:28 PM Reply   
" I found a cell phone this weekend by our dock."
Is it your dads I Phone?
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-02-2008, 2:30 PM Reply   
Nice slider pic in your profile Nick. (Eagle Lake?)
Old     (dscorni)      Join Date: Aug 2006       12-02-2008, 2:38 PM Reply   
Yo Greg, does Tina know you changed your profile pic.....? damn.
Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       12-02-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
Dave what are you talking about that is Tina in Greg's profile pick
Old     (leaks)      Join Date: Oct 2005       12-02-2008, 2:50 PM Reply   
G - Now I just figured out why you keep inviting us to the lake. And I always thought it was because you wanted to ride :-):-):-)
Old     (peter_c)      Join Date: Sep 2001       12-02-2008, 4:25 PM Reply   
The last year Boardstock was at Shasta Lake I saw the most disgusting thing and probably the main reason it was NEVER invited back. The entire lake was a floating trash can. There were beer cans floating every few feet.

What is wrong with people? It is not the one piece of trash but all of it combined that destroys our earths beauty. Good to see some people taking ownership. Whenever I can I always stop and pick up at least one piece of trash and call it my good deed for the day. If only people would...
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       12-02-2008, 5:22 PM Reply   
Yeah I fully agree, we always always take our bottles and cigarette butts home with us and pick up whatever we see that shouldn't be there when we're riding. When the king tides come there is so much crap floating around where we ride. Not to mention the broken bottles at the boat ramp. It's hard to believe these idiots can't see the harm they might cause, especially when the water is dirty with stirred up mud like it is there and there are bound to be people in the water launching and retrieving their boats.

Way to go Grant, nice work.
Old     (nick_scorny)      Join Date: May 2007       12-02-2008, 9:43 PM Reply   
Yo Greg, yeah that is at Eagal Lakes in the Squirrel Jam!
Old     (mammoth)      Join Date: Apr 2005       12-03-2008, 7:14 AM Reply   
Greg - Thanks for the compliment on Nick's slider shot. Nice profile pic yourself!

Good going on the cleanup G.
Old     (canucked)      Join Date: Jun 2007       12-03-2008, 8:01 AM Reply   
Last summer I stepped on a broken glass bottel that was underwater.

I can't even describe how mad I was. It sliced my heel wide open. 5-6 stitches a tetnis shot and 3 week with no boarding at the height of our summer.
Old     (nick_scorny)      Join Date: May 2007       12-03-2008, 5:04 PM Reply   
Thanks Nate!
Old     (bfnaci)      Join Date: Dec 2008       12-04-2008, 8:54 PM Reply   
Grant,
Your the man, I wish more people were like you.
I live on a SoCal lake and the summer partyers (not wake boarders) are the worst. Fishermen are right there behind them. I've noticed Bud Light cans are number one around my place as well.
I'd like to take mud filled bottles and cans to the partyers homes and drop them at their doorsteps.
I think most people don't want to get caught by the rangers or sheriff boats with all of the empties, it kind of tells the story about how drunk the partyers are, so they toss the empties in the lake. Sad!!!