Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (phillywakeboarder)      Join Date: Sep 2008       06-24-2013, 12:36 PM Reply   
Does anyone know what size wrench will fit on the packing nut of my 1999 x star? It has a 1 inch drive shaft. I can just barely get a pipe wrench on it, but the location of my ballast valves in the bilge makes it really, really difficult to turn. (Note to anybody getting ready to install a ballast system in an older boat - take the packing nut into consideration!) I'm thinking that a proper size wrench will be narrower, which is what I need.
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       06-24-2013, 6:14 PM Reply   
West Marine and others have adjustable packing nut wrenches. You need two to make the job easier. You can also find some short handle adjustable wrenches that go up to 2"
Old     (dhcomp1)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-24-2013, 9:47 PM Reply   
Its 1 7/8" .

Don't get the adjustable packing wrench.

They suck a$$. The nice wrenches are $$$, but are worth their weight in gold. The lock nut on the packing setup is often TIGHT, you need to have the right tools.

You need 2.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=WRENCH

You can buy a combination 1 7/8" open ended wrench on ebay, and cut it in half, but i just sprung for the packing wrenches.

They rock.