Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (k59)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-26-2011, 3:10 PM Reply   
Hey guys, I'd like to introduce myself to the club! As of this past week, I became the proud owner of a gorgeous 2007 Sanger v215! I'm happy to finally be a boat owner and am ready to make it perfect! The previous owners didn't quite take care of the speaker system, and it appears that there's car audio speakers in many of the speaker spots... Some of which have significant damage. So, I'm looking to UPGRADE! What's the best bang for the buck at Best Buy or Crutchfield? I think the deck is in decent condition (it's a marine audio Sony), and it comes with a few amps already hooked up with some (4) tower speakers, but those too are in poor shape.

What do you all recommend for the best bang for the buck on tower speakers, (possibly) amps, new deck (possibly) etc.?

And it's being stored outside (street parking) right now, so any idea on how to safeguard the audio from theft would be great. Thanks!

P.S.- I'm not trying to break the bank or have the loudest system on the lake; just want a great sounding system for a great price. If I do get a new deck, I definitely want one with either an AUX out jack or iPod hookup, and HD Radio.

Last edited by k59; 09-26-2011 at 3:18 PM. Reason: Add
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-26-2011, 3:20 PM Reply   
Welcome.

First of all, congrats. Sangers are hard to beat. You will love that boat.

As far as speakers...you need to define what you want the speakers to do. If you are surfing, then just get a good outdoor speaker to put in the cans and you are good to go. The polk audio db651's sound great and are very durable and only a hundred a pair.

If you want to hear music when wakeboarding, there is no cheap option. You HAVE to put on HLCD's and they are 8 or 900 bucks a pair to start and require a ton of power to push them.

You can search this site for an unlimited amount of tower speaker info. It normally would be the better place to start than starting a whole new tower speaker thread

As far as theft proofing them....tie a pit bull inside the boat at night...?
Old     (SteveO)      Join Date: May 2011       09-26-2011, 6:04 PM Reply   
I've got the Exile tower speakers that are removable. They were super easy to install, you only have to hold up a little bracket instead of the whole speaker. Mine were $1800 for two pair and a 1000watt amp. Give Brian at Exile a call, he was super helpful.
Old     (k59)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-26-2011, 6:44 PM Reply   
Yikes! That's a pricey pair! Right now there's two Bazooka tubes up there, but the cones are cracked. They seem pretty expensive (maybe not according to some of the options on here), hopefully they can be repaired..? Maybe that's just wishful thinking.
Old     (matt75)      Join Date: Nov 2010       09-26-2011, 6:47 PM Reply   
If you look around, the db651's can be had for 60/pair. For a cheaper 4 speaker solution, look into the kicker 6500.2 HLCD setup. Comes with 2 HLCD horns and 2 midrange speakers. Yes, by the time you add cans/pods you're going to be 700-800 into the set. Add a kicker ix 500.4 to power the tower speakers and you'll hear it 60+ feet easily. I have this setup and sounds great!
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       09-27-2011, 10:54 AM Reply   
Travis, you may be able to fix them locally for super cheap. There is a guy near me who fixes speakers in his garage. I've had him re-cone and re-surround a couple of speakers for about 20 bucks each.

Just look for speaker or stereo repair or call a local shop - normally they will "know a guy".

40 bucks vs 800 (or 1800!)....Hmmm. Not really apples to apples, but it will get you some sounds back up there.
Old     (k59)      Join Date: Sep 2011       09-27-2011, 11:42 AM Reply   
Awesome. Thanks for the advice!

Since we're on the topic of tower speakers, what are your thoughts on a company by the name DBG Concepts? They're a local company, but according to their Yelp! page their well known in the industry.

http://dbgconcepts.com/index.php?opt...&id=15&Itemid=
Old     (SteveO)      Join Date: May 2011       09-27-2011, 6:45 PM Reply   
Yikes! That's a pricey pair!

K59 - That's for two pair (4 speakers) and a 1000w amp. It came out to be about $700 per pair for the speakers.
Old     (k59)      Join Date: Sep 2011       10-04-2011, 9:20 PM Reply   
Steve,

Which one were you referring to?