Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ship_of_fools)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-19-2011, 5:30 PM Reply   
Check this out:

http://wimp.com/buildwaves/
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       02-19-2011, 6:46 PM Reply   
Thats a sick video. But you know there's a "Non-Wakeboarding" section right?
Old     (SafetyMike)      Join Date: Nov 2010       02-19-2011, 8:46 PM Reply   
Thats so beast this is really creative
Old     (captain_542)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-19-2011, 10:11 PM Reply   
the original flowrider! thats awesome. Is it a tide pool or a river or what?
Old     (epic1)      Join Date: Oct 2006       02-20-2011, 5:06 PM Reply   
1. this video is a great example of how crazy powerfull water is.

2. I thought the non wake section was just for bashing on others pollitical views
Old    Ron1xNautique            02-20-2011, 9:08 PM Reply   
It was worth it being misposted who wants to talk about anything that doesn't include wakeboarding anyways Nice find and a tight video
Old     (Erik2393)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-20-2011, 10:58 PM Reply   
This is a really cool video... I wonder how long it took to form? Be great for people that don't live near the coast!
Old     (mracrew)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-21-2011, 8:39 AM Reply   
Anyone else have the urge to rent a backhoe and dig a new channel in their lake? I don't think the DNR would be to happy if I did something like that.
Old     (wazzy)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-21-2011, 9:58 AM Reply   
Thats SICK!

When I was in Germany there was a river that you could surf on.... similar idea. I have a video somewhere....
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-21-2011, 11:41 AM Reply   
So is this a one time deal? Once you cut the trench and all the water goes does it ever fill back in that you can do it again at a later date? I've seen a similar video where people have done this.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-21-2011, 1:14 PM Reply   
Thats just about as cool as it gets. That would be so fun to be apart of something like that.

It looks like they knew what they were doing so my guess is its something they can do once or twice a season.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-21-2011, 7:41 PM Reply   
Ha...that's Waimea river. I've surfed those stationaries many of times. It's a lot of work digging the trench from the river to the ocean, but if everyone pitches in it goes pretty fast. I remember the tourist would walk over to see what we were doing and just stand there with a confused stare.

It depends on much rainfall there is, but you can dig it out and get enough flow to surf it every few months.

Hau'ula is the only other place on Oahu I know of that you can create stationaries from digging out the river, but Waimea definitely has a better flow.
Old     (leboeuf45)      Join Date: Feb 2011       02-21-2011, 9:20 PM Reply   
We went there in October for my honeymoon, that place is in between sunset and Haleiwa right? We stayed at the turtle bay resort, but that place was incredible the culture and the surfing.
Old     (bendow)      Join Date: Sep 2005       02-22-2011, 4:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by leboeuf45 View Post
We went there in October for my honeymoon, that place is in between sunset and Haleiwa right? We stayed at the turtle bay resort, but that place was incredible the culture and the surfing.
Yeah, you pass Sunset, Pipeline, and it's the turn that takes you left around the bay. That small bridge you drove over and the river to you right is what these guys in the video were surfing. Waimea as I'm sure you've heard of is where big wave surfing started (out on the point) I bodyboarded the shore break a lot there. It's a lot of fun, but had some close calls. Waimea is known for having 5-6ft surf, and then a freak set of 20ft comes rolling in all of the sudden. Waimea holds you under longer than any other break I surfed. Here's a video of same guys taking some gnarly closeouts at Waimea (same beach as the river stationaries) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aktPxKhfQHw

We used to surf at Turtle Bay too...and I spent a lot of time there since that's where the city bus made their transfers....I never had a car growing up in Hawaii, just a skateboard and bus pass...lol
Old     (jps912)      Join Date: Jun 2007       02-22-2011, 10:46 AM Reply   
Thats super sick. Looks like so much fun.