Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through April 01, 2005

Old     (mdiddy)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-20-2005, 11:44 AM Reply   
I am thinking of buying some property on a small private lake, since I typically only ride on state lakes I'm wondering how big the lake really needs to be to have a good time boarding on. I have the opportunity to buy about 6 acres of water front property on a 60 acre lake for a very,very cheap price. The lake is for the most part a big oval, (no center island)and should be deep enough 7-8 feet on average except by the dam which is about 20 feet deep. That is where the land for sale is too. Does any one else live on a lake like this? And should this be big enough to board on with a boat like a X-2 or something that size. One more thing only about 5 houses are on this lake and really only 1 other person uses the water. The only bad thing is that I would have to drive about 40min to work every day. Any comments or suggestions are greatly appreciated. Also please show pictures if you have any. I will be adding picts shortly Thanks

Old     (tigeal)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-20-2005, 2:39 PM Reply   
As long as boat traffic is no factor the next thing that comes to mind is the shore, is it slopped or steep? Ideally you want a very shallow slope at waters edge to disapate wakes, You can't allways be looking for new water if there is no were to go.
Next thing might be wind, is the area known to be windy?
As far as the depth goes, 7-8' is fine. Our lakes are being dug out this spring and will be 7' when completed. They were only 4' down the center before we drained them, Pretty crappy for boarding but the skiers like it because there is less wake when this shallow.
These lake are about 250' wide and 3,000' long.
Obviously only one boat at a time but works fine.
Old     (mdiddy)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-21-2005, 8:06 AM Reply   
Picts of 60 acre lake
Old     (fox)      Join Date: Jul 2002       02-21-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
60 is pleanty. Ours is about 150 or so, and about 4 boats can share it without a lot of problems.
Nice place...where's it at?
Eric
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       02-21-2005, 9:13 AM Reply   
Go for it. 40 minutes to and from work (IMO) isn't really that bad. when you can drop your lift (eventually...) and be on the water an hour after leaving work. Its great compared to: leaving work, rounding up your crew, loading up your gear and boat, driving to the ramp, launching the boat... then riding. I used to get so frustrated when I would try to leave work early (pulling teeth to start with) to squeeze in an afternoon ride and it get screwed up because of something stupid. Your boat at your house on your (well you and the other person's) lake. pretty much takes all the b.s. variables out of it.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-21-2005, 4:08 PM Reply   
I am sure you know your lake, but just in case....
be sure you consider the summer depth. I know one lake in eastern CO that we used to use can be dry for boating by about mid July.
7-8 feet does not leave much margin for dry years.
Old     (troyl)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-21-2005, 4:10 PM Reply   
oh and a 40 minute commute from a lake house is a dream for most of us on this site!!!!!!!!
Old     (mdiddy)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-22-2005, 7:49 PM Reply   
Thanks for the input guys, I found out that the other main boater had the lake dredged for skiing/wakeboarding. He also has an ag irrigation well with water constantly running into it, which I think I'll put one in also to help out the water level. The water is currently about 2 feet lower than its fullest normal point, which still is not a big deal. I think I'll be purchasing the land later this week. I will post more picts when I can get some. later...
Old    murrayair            02-22-2005, 8:08 PM Reply   
That is really cool, M! I would kill to live on a private lake. Even living on a public lake wouldn't be so bad. Like Nacho said, it sucks to have to take a whole afternoon and evening off just to ride.
Old     (dirwoody)      Join Date: Apr 2003       02-23-2005, 9:04 AM Reply   
M, what's up, where is that at, I'm a fellow nebraskan too, which is hard to come by on this site, but we should hook up. Shoot me an E-mail, address is in my profile.