Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 24, 2009

Old     (air_senio)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-15-2009, 1:26 PM Reply   
so i can clear the wake heel and toe side. but heelside is my stronger side and more comfortable. so im try to get some grabs in and for the life of me i just cant do it. the only one i have down is grabbing with the left hand and holding on with the right. i would like to grab more with the right hand. but the right hand is just way more comfortable to hold on to the handle with.
Old     (boardn197)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-15-2009, 1:43 PM Reply   
I'm guessing you are goofy foot. If this is the case it is just the easier way of grabbing. When you let go of the front hand you will rotate unless you have good handle position. Practice jumping and controlling you body position and handle placement with just your left hand on the handle, then move on to grabbing with your right when you have that down.
Old     (air_senio)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-15-2009, 2:31 PM Reply   
no i ride reg.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       07-15-2009, 2:49 PM Reply   
sometimes grabbing the board in different positions while floating/balancing in the water waiting for the rope is good practice
Old     (somebuddy)      Join Date: Jun 2009       07-15-2009, 2:51 PM Reply   
You ride left foot forward? Just practice jumping holding on with your left hand until you feel comfortable. Same concept, just feel comfortable holding on with each individual hand and you will be able to grab with each hand.
Old     (thomas_arballo)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-15-2009, 3:22 PM Reply   
If you ride regular (left foot forward) then whenever you take off from the wake don't think about it as reaching down to grab, bring your knees up and bring the board to your hands.

That really helped me with being able to grab with both hands. You stay way more solid in the air too b/c you're not shifting your upperbody too much...

Good luck man
Old     (wake1823)      Join Date: Dec 2005       07-16-2009, 5:59 AM Reply   
You ride regular and your having a hard time grabing with your giht hand???

I'm surprised your not rotating around to switch in the air?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       07-16-2009, 7:41 AM Reply   
Are you letting the handle get away from your body? Focus on placing the handle at your left (front) knee, then go for the grab. Don't let the handle out.
Old     (air_senio)      Join Date: Nov 2007       07-16-2009, 8:36 AM Reply   
no i no problem grabing with the lift hand and not letting it rotate me around. but from what
j-rod said i am letting the handle get away from me just a little bit.
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-16-2009, 8:45 AM Reply   
too much line tension?
Old     (skidaddy)      Join Date: May 2008       07-16-2009, 9:40 AM Reply   
arson: I have the same issue. I saw a picture of me grabbing with the front hand, and I am letting the rope out with my right. I am going to give j-rod's tip a try this weekend (not sure I be able to grab anything then, but that will surely make the right hand easier).
Old     (lfrider92)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-16-2009, 9:59 AM Reply   
too much line tension might be part of it. there are several ways to clear the wake, when going for a grab, cut out really wide, almost as far as you can without being leaned over on the water, and take a really mellow cut toward the wake. use your legs to pop more then speed. it will make much easier to grab. i find that tail grab is the easiest, give that one a try, when your in the air, just pull your right knee up and the board practically hits your hand
Old     (eas)      Join Date: Nov 2001       07-16-2009, 11:58 AM Reply   
the cut is the key....and david has it right.