Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through August 20, 2005

Old     (toolfan)      Join Date: Jul 2003       07-18-2005, 9:30 AM Reply   
I was so stoked when I got the new Wakeboarding mag in. The cover said something about the "GB Posse", Havasu, session, photos, etc, etc. I buy alot of wakeboarding dvds and still to this day, Harris is the ONLY one out there I really never get tired of watching over and over again. Simply stated...he is the man.

I thought to myself, "Kick Arse"! Finally some new pics of The Vandall.

WRONG!!!!!!!!

What is up with him? Is he riding anymore? Some people say he isnt, some say he is. Whats the deal? Did he just not make the shoot? WTF?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-18-2005, 9:41 AM Reply   
as far as I have heard, he is currently doing other things. That is it. If anyone else knows, chime in.....

Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-18-2005, 11:38 AM Reply   
Randall is in Cali and did not make the shoot. He also didn't make the GB catalog shoot last week. He is still riding and doing well. I'm sure you will see some new stuff from him this fall.
Old     (partydock17)      Join Date: Apr 2004       07-18-2005, 11:49 AM Reply   
The last thing I saw of him was that ad shoot for the mags.

And I second that. Randall Harris is never tiring to watch.

Danny T.
www.okcboardshop.com
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-18-2005, 11:58 AM Reply   
I saw a blinged out Team Gator RV pulling what looked to be an Orange Super Air going over Stevens Pass in Washington, anyone know if they had another photo/video shoot at Lake Entiat in Eastern Washington? Too bad I was going 70mph in the opposite direction, would have been nice to see where they ended up.
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-18-2005, 12:13 PM Reply   
We just got back from the 2006 catalog shoot at Lake Roosevelt. The new decks look sick!

(Message edited by solo on July 18, 2005)
Old     (airrantz)      Join Date: Jun 2004       07-18-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
Shoot I knew I should have went out to my cabin instead of Lake Chelan. What part of Roosevelt were you on? My parents built a cabin at Seven Bays and the riding at the bay near Hawks Creek is always amazing. What riders made it out?
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-18-2005, 12:41 PM Reply   
Just about everyone accept for RH. I can't remember the name of the inlet we were in? If you leave the ferry and take that first left up river? We were all the way up there on two houseboats.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       07-18-2005, 2:55 PM Reply   
thanks for the invite hahn.

by the way, hung out w/ ricky ephron last night. he told me to kick your ass. jk!
Old     (dirty)      Join Date: Jul 2004       07-19-2005, 12:34 PM Reply   
man I miss watching Randy ride, the most impressive people ever, never seen anyone that can touch his style and air time, daaaaaammmnnnnnn, the funnest person to film.....
Old     (autotunner69)      Join Date: Feb 2003       07-19-2005, 6:40 PM Reply   
Ryan, If your over here on Entiat give me a call 509-886-1026. A buddy of mine bought a Centurion and it's hotter then $%&* over here.

Hahn, what's the name of the vid going to be? I ride up there to.

And I third the motion that Randall is awesome. His is by far my favorite rider!

(Message edited by autotunner69 on July 19, 2005)
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-19-2005, 6:53 PM Reply   
It was mainly a catalog photo shoot but we had Dave from DPC films there and he shot all week. I'm sure you will see something video-wise this fall.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       07-20-2005, 11:28 AM Reply   
Dave is really getting around this year - does he have a real job???
Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-20-2005, 11:54 AM Reply   
We all have real jobs....
Old     (masonwakerider)      Join Date: May 2003       07-20-2005, 1:50 PM Reply   
I saw the RV and BOat in Shelton WA on last Sunday. I was on my way through town but could find them on my way back. Ive seen their boat at David Issacsons on Mason Lake before too.
Old    stormrider            07-20-2005, 6:29 PM Reply   
Here's my take on Randy and it applies to Darrin Shapiro, as well: their bodies can no longer take the pounding from wakeboarding but they don't want to formally "retire" for business reasons.

I've followed Harris for years and, frankly, from what I've seen and heard I'm amazed he's still moving!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-20-2005, 7:17 PM Reply   
cowen, you have it correct. I think the same. His body cannot take how big he rides much longer. He goes the biggest of anyone period. And probably always will. How's your neck and back doing?
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-20-2005, 7:51 PM Reply   
We were at the end of the finger just past "Keller Park"..

Rich - Thank god for cloning..

Old     (solo)      Join Date: Oct 2001       07-20-2005, 9:29 PM Reply   
You guys are not even close to correct. Yes his body like anyone else's will take it's toll from impact. There are many reasons Randall isn't in the "Wakeboarding Scene" right now and that has nothing to do with it. He has his own reasons and it's not my place to discuss why he isn't around. He is still riding, he's just not touring nor competing.
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       07-21-2005, 12:47 AM Reply   
Word!
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       07-21-2005, 7:23 AM Reply   
Thanks for clearing that up Steven, I think the last time i saw him ride maybe 2-3 years ago, next time he rides let me know so I can go watch. Do you know what the last vid he was is, or if any are coming up in the future?

I remember him riding Worlds at Elsinore with a cast on his arm. Now that was incredible!

(Message edited by slipknot on July 21, 2005)
Old    penny4urthots            07-22-2005, 8:49 AM Reply   
Congrats on the abundance of good input on this thread kidz!!! Here's some more for ya, oh yeah David your killin it this year bro keep up the good work!

I can't remember Harris' age when he really started blowin up on the scene but I do recall that he was a YOUNG buck, I want to say 14 or so?? Anyways that was a few years and an assload of double ups ago for him. Besides him acquiring a case of arthritis, I am sure he is pretty "over" the whole wakeboarding limelight and growing number of kooks that are popping up like weeds. He has left a HUGE GAUDY scar on the sport and now it's time for him to ride for fun and not for "work". (Trust me it's different).

*Randy Harris true story- About 5 years ago I was up at the Delta for an annual pro shop employee demo day that many riders would attend as well. Anyways Harris was bein Harris so he camped alone out on this little peninsula area @ Orwood like a hobbit. After he finally cruised up to the main camp area I stood amazed as I watched Mike Rogers riding a little trail bike pulling "The Vandall" on a DIRT BOARD through the campground. While we all were laughing at them goofin around, Randy decides all of a sudden to ollie a 45 gal plastic trash can... and of course he rode away like a hero... He IS the friggin MAN! That was a free Randy Harris tidbit for all of you bored enough to read my whole schpeel today.
-Lincoln

***I do not wish to imply that I know the reason why Randy is MIA, after all it's only for entertainment's sake and to drop a couple of pennies.

(Message edited by Penny4urthots on July 22, 2005)
Old    martini            07-22-2005, 9:36 AM Reply   
let it go man! the guy could take off 10 years and still be the rider everyone wants a piece of...

maybe thats why he's MIA?

Just be happy that Randall even embraced the sport at all! we should be thanking him for all he has given to the sport to date! not picking on him for what you think he is not doing currently!
Old    penny4urthots            07-22-2005, 10:11 AM Reply   
Hey martini, just to clear your angst... I have NOTHING to let go. I agree with your point on his mad skillz and timeless style. I am stoked AND thankful that he continues to help shape the industry and its legitimacy. I am, in no way picking on his current hiatus (sp?). Perhaps you were not referring to my post, if that is the case please excuse my rant. If you were however, maybe you could have done us all the favor of reading my last *denoted statement. Ahhhh, now I have officially let it go...
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-22-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
I've always believed that randy was a gift to wakeboarding. Skibored, you're right, he was probably a 14 year old little grom when he was getting some coverage in the mags. My first issue of WBM had that grom article back in 1995, and randy was the man. (how could you not love a guy that likes gleaming the cube?)

Anyway, I just wish randy the best with everything he decides to pursue in life. His sections in retrospect were amazing, and that cat stevens song was insane...insane to the point where I started to think about things and got slightly emotional. (sorry..now can someone hold my hand?) He's just an amazing rider and even though I don't know him personally, that song just seems to speak about him...or that's just my interpretation based on how he's approached his riding and career.

Oh, and he had said something about how he wanted to leave an impact on the world. Wakeboarding doesn't define anyone's worth, but I hope he knows that he did impact wakeboarding and he's influenced riders that span generations. He was just so right for it...if he was done now, I feel like he's made his mark, given us a lot of memories and just characteristics in wakeboarding that will be felt for a long time.

As for darin, I hope he heals as well (sorry, it's off topic). I'm amazed that his body has held up all of these years, and way back when, he took his position seriously and treated himself like a true athlete, at least when it came to eating right and physical fitness. It's crazy that he made it through all of the transitions wakeboarding has gone through...like the so-called "skiboarding era" in the beginning, to the skiboarder/raley fest in the late 90's, to a more...modern version of wakeboarding. He's like the only one that's held on and maintained so much respect. Anyway, I look forward to seeing more of him once he heals up.

I was looking through a recent skate mag, and how at one of the comps they had a "veterans" divison. I don't know if our riders will be able to hold up as well (and I know we occassionally have this division as well), but I hope we embrace them and remember them like our other board sports brethren have done to their forefathers. Respect...

Wha...where am I? who does number two work for?? WHO-DOES-NUMBER-TWO-WORK-FOR.

sorry...
Old    martini            07-22-2005, 10:57 AM Reply   
I wasn't referring to your post directly skiboardr4life...i appreciate what you said...i was referring to everyone who is a fan...myself included!
Old     (wakeworld)      Join Date: Jan 1997       07-22-2005, 11:01 AM Reply   
...I am not a number. I am a free man!

I never really took notice of Randy's riding in the early days. I think a lot of his antics kind of overshadowed the riding a little bit. That was a mistake on my part.

The first opportunity I had to watch Randy ride in person was out at Lake Mead in May of 2001. I knew he was a great rider, but I was not at all prepared for what I was about to see. Randy completely blew me away that day and has been one of my favorite riders to watch ever since. In fact, I've been telling people for years that if I had the opportunity to sit in the boat and watch just one wakeboarder ride, my choice would definitely be Harris.

I can't even describe the amount of air, distance, smoothness, balls and lack of fear that go into his riding. How his knees haven't exploded by now is beyond me! I was really bummed out on the pictures I took that day (http://www.wakeworld.com/Galleries/Gallery.asp?GalleryID=2) because, although they showed him absolutely flying, they didn't do justice to what I saw in person.

Short of Byerly, I can't think of another rider on which you could base an entire video and still have people (at least me) sit and watch the whole thing over and over again with jaws agape. However, I don't think that even video can do him justice.

My advice to anybody that hasn't seen Randy ride, if you ever get the opportunity, drive, fly, hike, swim or paddle to the location and get a good seat!
Old    martini            07-22-2005, 11:12 AM Reply   
Randall and Byerly are the reason i even like wakeboarding...
Old     (malibuboarder75)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-22-2005, 9:55 PM Reply   
You are right David. Everyone talks about Parks Bonifay for his contest riding and all his coverage, but Randy is definately one of the best free riders. No one rides as hard.
Old    penny4urthots            07-22-2005, 11:13 PM Reply   
Chef you know I always like what you have cookin in the kitchen. Haha honestly whenever I see ur name in a thread I get amped to read it, straight truth...

Martini I am glad we are straight now cuz I'm a lover not a fighter ya know?? I really respect your stance on the Byerly & Harris inspiration. I am completely with you but personally I have to include Schmaltz in my three amigo line up. He is not only a walking historybook for the sport, he also wrote many of the tales within it. Hehe I still laugh at all of the criticism he has recieved on his prior industry stances, that have recently been adopted as "wakeboarding fashion" by the big 3. Dare I mention names???

Finally, David I am glad you chimed in on this one because I think your take on this situation is well versed to say the least. I agree that seeing Randy flow in person from the boat can render you speechless.

*Note his section in Mayday is waaayyyy ahead of its time in many aspects. Toss it in and be reminded of all that is Randall! Bah nah na naaaaaah!
Old    wakemark            07-23-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   
I got to drive for Mr. Harris one day. I asked what speed as he was getting in the water and he said 28 mph......That took some getting used to!!! After about 10 minutes I had to push my friend in to the drivers seat because I couldn't handle not seeing what was going on behind the boat. Watching him ride, you get the feeling you are watching somebody hit the 80 foot gaps at a Tahoe Superpark....if you look at the pitures from David's gallery, you can see that he has a ton of slack in the line while in the air. The only time he needs the rope is on the way to the wake and once he lands again. It is the most unique thing you can see on the water and his style and attitude on the water are amazing. He was being photographed during this ride and his awareness of what to and when (thinking about the shot) was absolutely amazing.......
Old    stormrider            07-23-2005, 4:58 PM Reply   
Just got back from Paris. Saw Randy. He's hanging out with Elvis and Jim Morrison.

Glen, as to my neck and back: doctors want to fuse three vertebrae. Serious stuff, and, it appears, pretty much wakeboarding related. I may have a bit of a genetic weakness here but the discs between vertabrae are awfully, awfully fragile, especially as we age.
Old    martini            07-25-2005, 12:03 PM Reply   
skiboarder4life-schmaltzy deseves to be in there, good call!...i would also add Nelson...no one will or maybe ever! be as smooth as the nelly was in his prime!
Old    penny4urthots            07-25-2005, 12:24 PM Reply   
Thats hard to argue, I guess I was just trying to keep it to 3 amigos. Hehehe yeah I have spent a fair amount of time with Nelson over the years and you could say his "Truckee time" has definetly been good for his style on the water. As you mentioned, smooth is an understatement for him...
Old     (electricsnow)      Join Date: May 2002       07-26-2005, 8:29 AM Reply   
nelson, THAT'S a good one! For me, those smooth boards (like large popsicle sticks, I guess) he used to ride really added a nice aesthetic to his style...I can't really put it into words.

skibored, thanks for the compliment. Rest assured, the feelings are mutual. Oh, your first sentence was hilarious!
Old     (kybool)      Join Date: Aug 2004       07-26-2005, 9:23 AM Reply   
We love you Randy. Please come back!

I know this pic was just posted the other day, but I love it so much I had to throw it up on this thread.
Old    martini            07-26-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
that photo speaks volumes! that was a regular sight in the backwater back in the day...just another example of why we should be happy that Randall even gave Wack Boarding(his words)a go!