Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-05-2010, 9:00 PM Reply   
For the 2nd time this month at a local dock area we had to ask some folks to please change their music due to really bad language in the music due to our group's 5-8 year kids we had around. So I'm curious - do most folks just not give a crap when they see kids around while blasting profanity laced tunes? Both times there were 6-8 people with the boat. I was surprised at least one person wouldn't have sense enough to think maybe it's not cool to play that kind of music around young kids without being asked to turn the crap off. I might think I'm sounding old, but even in my 20's, I was respectful enough to watch it around kids. This goes the same even when cruising some lake or bay or whatever where you know families and kids are around.

Thoughts and comments?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-05-2010, 10:14 PM Reply   
leave the kids at home...problems solved.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-05-2010, 10:25 PM Reply   
i'm kidding, btw.
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       09-05-2010, 11:06 PM Reply   
what's your track record for getting them to actually change it once you ask them? are you 0 for 2, 1 for 2, or 2 for 2?

to answer your question though, some people just don't care and think they have every right to blast that type of music in any situation.

let me guess, one of those boats was a White X-80. Right? Oh wait, nevermind, Lon probably doesn't have 5-7 friends.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-05-2010, 11:35 PM Reply   
Do you also ask the guys bumping dirty rap songs in there cars to turn it down?

idk, i feel like it depends on the situation. If its out on the water and there are people with kids tubing or whatever, im not changing what i listen too...they can go to the other side if they dont want to hear it.

At the dock, if there are kids, i will change it or turn it down...i dont wanna be that guy. but it really depends on the music, if there are curse words that aren't obvious (you know what i mean) i wont change it...but if its a nasty rap song ill turn it down.

but dude, dont be that old guy causing problems....just teach your kids not to curse....that stuff is out there, they will see it/hear it either way... cant let other peoples music habits bother you too much.
Old     (brett564)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-06-2010, 1:58 AM Reply   
Its unfortunate there are so many inconsiderate boat owners (and renters) out there who think if they blast their own personal style of music loud enough it makes everyone around them think they're cool. Generally, these are the same people who roll around town in their trucks, blasting whatever music they feel is the coolest, with their windows down, elbow out the window, death stare directly ahead of them, and thinking "God, Everyone knows I'm awesome."

Please be considerate of those around you! Blasting your own music for every stranger around you to listen too generally has the opposite effect you desire. Douche bag...
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-06-2010, 8:16 AM Reply   
As far as the track record, we were very nice in asking about changing music, and the guys were cool about doing so. And these times, it was REALLY obvious as far as bad language in the music, which is why I was surprised non of these guys thought about it themselves and actually had to be asked.

As far as not letting other's music bother us - we were right there on a dock with these clowns and their crap blasting 5 feet away from us, so there is no way I was putting up with it. Some folks just need to learn not to be so self-centered and be at least a little considerate of others.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-06-2010, 10:47 AM Reply   
The fact that they are listening to that music explains why they lack the class to turn it down.
Old     (acerock88)      Join Date: May 2008       09-06-2010, 11:07 AM Reply   
I don't understand what the problem is. You asked them to mellow it out in front of the kids, and they did so. You also said that this has happened twice in less than a month, so I think you should take Joey C's advice. What is gonna be worse for the kids, hearing the explicit music, or watching you start a fight over it?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-06-2010, 1:03 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
The fact that they are listening to that music explains why they lack the class to turn it down.
so if i listen to that type of music, i have no class?
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-06-2010, 1:13 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
I like to bump Beethoven so it looks like I have class. Maybe we can have our own bump party with a sweet mix of classical composers to show everyone how classy we are...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-06-2010, 1:49 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakid View Post
It might be an indicator. Playing it without regard to others is another one.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-06-2010, 3:30 PM Reply   
then i guess it's up in the air whether denzel has class or not since he listens to that type of music as well.
Old     (JDubs)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-06-2010, 3:31 PM Reply   
The problem here is the different levels of maturity.
Old     (aliwake)      Join Date: Dec 2006       09-06-2010, 3:56 PM Reply   
To be honest, people without kids of their own often won't even click when music like that is playing, that it might be a problem. They may have been listening to something inoffensive, then the nasty song came on and they wouldn't even have noticed - I know I don't! You made them aware that it was a problem, and they were happy to oblige.
I just think parents have a whole different level of awareness, and that's how it should be.
I agree with Joey though - they will hear this stuff everywhere, and your best bet is just teaching them the right thing to do.
Old     (DealsGapCobra)      Join Date: May 2010       09-06-2010, 4:54 PM Reply   
As for these guys not knowing to turn it down because there are kids around, what about the adults or peers? This is just plane lack of class.

I had a similar incident when we were anchored in an area with about 5-7 other boats. A boat pull up into the pack and starts cranking "I'm on a boat" As we were just about to leave anyway, I just pulled up anchor and moved on.

I think it is very unfortunate that some on this list fall into the offender category.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-06-2010, 5:10 PM Reply   
I have a very loud stereo and often play it as such but I make a strong concerted effort to choose music that is non-offensive and or edited versions. I commonly have my 3 kids out with us and don't want to expose them to swearing anymore than they already are nor do I want to others children. If you're playing the right music most other boats are cool with it and rock along as you drive by on the contrary if you're playing crap expect a visit from a pissed off parent or the like.

As an aside, party coves that are out in the middle of nowhere are a different story. If you're a parent bringing your child into those environments expect it.

Last edited by hatepain; 09-06-2010 at 5:10 PM. Reason: grammer
Old     (Tloud)      Join Date: Aug 2010       09-06-2010, 7:14 PM Reply   
How do you consider someone classy or not just by the type of music they listen too? It sounds more like your fairly arrogant for saying that some types of music are better than others... And by the way I agree ACE i dont see a problem considering what happened. Its not just music thats out there influencing the youth and whether or not there around it parenting has complete and total control over how their kids grow up with or without these influences.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-07-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tloud View Post
It sounds more like your fairly arrogant for saying that some types of music are better than others
Sorry, I guess it comes from growing up during the greatest decade of musical innovation in the history of mankind. I can't relate to what it's like to grow up in the musical wasteland of the last 20 years. I should have more tolerance.

Now, get the $#@!$# off my lawn!
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-07-2010, 11:43 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by dealsgapcobra View Post
A boat pull up into the pack and starts cranking "i'm on a boat"

classic!
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-07-2010, 12:13 PM Reply   
Sometimes it's a learning process. I do not crank the tunes near the dock/launch ramp because I know that everyone has their own taste. If I blast my NVS's, they wouldn't be able to think straight.

I used to be that guy that wanted to share my great music with everyone... thinking that they liked it or were impressed. Not so much.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2010, 12:24 PM Reply   
i like to crank up the tunes in the morning when i go out to ride. but my wife will cut them down or tell me to if she thinks someone on shore could be affected. we don't have any kids[my wife has enough trouble making me responsible] but we are aware when kids are around and were more selective what songs we play.i mostly listen to country music. but i can't dance or wakeboard to it .
Old     (wakemikey)      Join Date: Mar 2008       09-07-2010, 12:57 PM Reply   
I always turn my stereo around when I approach other PEOPLE, not just kids. Unless we are actively riding that is.

However, for sake of meaningless arguement, do you think your kids dont listen to the radio when you are not around? They probably know more songs with bad lyrics than you do. The new songs dont even need to use profanity to be obscene.
Old     (paulieb)      Join Date: Feb 2010       09-07-2010, 1:40 PM Reply   
If you have the money to pay for the boat and your paying for the bills to fix it and put gas in it, I think you can play whatever you want. There going to hear it from somebody some day, and there going to use the words them selfs also when there at some get together or a party, so they mite as well learn it while there young. I don't believe its a big deal.. IT'S ONLY MUSIC, its not the end of the world.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-07-2010, 1:56 PM Reply   
when I was growing up i knew all the words to half of the sublime songs.....I knew which words I was allowed to say and which ones i wasnt, and i know when its appropriate to use these words...all cause my parents taught me about them. I feel like its the kids who didnt get exposed/taught are the ones who have the issues.
Old     (blaine4oh5)      Join Date: Mar 2010       09-07-2010, 2:06 PM Reply   
its 2010, your kids probably no more cuss words than you already.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-07-2010, 2:52 PM Reply   
I love it when people who don't have a grasp of grammer like to teach us the ways of the world. It's not a matter of what curse words they know. It's a matter of learning the maturity to be discreet in using them.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2010, 3:12 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by fly135 View Post
I love it when people who don't have a grasp of grammer like to teach us the ways of the world.
funny you mention that...
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-07-2010, 3:29 PM Reply   
LOL, always the devils advocate.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-07-2010, 3:52 PM Reply   
haha! you know it!
Old     (brettw)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-07-2010, 5:04 PM Reply   
I don't think my 5 year-old daughter knows too many curse words yet, and it's simply not appropriate to play profanity laced music around young kids. It can't be that hard for most decent people to find some music they like not lace with profanity, right? So just be cool and turn it down or change it. I was just complaining about people coming in playing that crap to start with and not one person in a fairly large group thinking about it. I'd be pretty surprised to come across ppl who wouldn't change or turn it down when asked.

With or without kids, though, I just think it's extremely inconsiderate if you're coming up on small area like a dock where there are a couple of other boats and several people, quietly hanging out, and you come in blasting your music. It doesn't matter if it's rap or Beethoven. You should be considerate and keep the volume down or at least ask if blaring your music is going to bother anybody.

As far as "you have the money to pay for the boat and your paying for the bills to fix it and put gas in it, I think you can play whatever you want". Are you kidding me? So you just don't give a damn about other people at all? Well you do have a right to play whatever you want - somewhere where you're not bothering the hell out of a bunch of other people. This is especially true when you're cruising into a small area or a dock where other folks are hanging out quietly enjoying their day. That's just not cool at all.
Old     (mike2001)      Join Date: Feb 2008       09-07-2010, 5:53 PM Reply   
This will be a losing argument, many of those boat owners are on this site. I used to have that attitude with my car stereo when I was 16, but then I grew up.
Old     (fullspeed)      Join Date: Oct 2005 Location: Santa Cruz County CA       09-07-2010, 6:00 PM Reply   
"you have the money to pay for the boat and your paying for the bills to fix it and put gas in it, I think you can play whatever you want". Funny Stuff.

It's all about respect, period. Some of us have it and some of us don't.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       09-07-2010, 6:25 PM Reply   
when i was coming up my parents taught me to RESPECT other people. please,thank you ,yes ma'am ,yes sir ,excuse me ect.they told me to put myself in others shoes would i like what i'm doing . then don't tread on others rights to peace and quiet. all that i pay the bills crap doesn't give you the right to offend others. you will learn this when and if you ever grow up. if you do learn it you will notice people saying he or she is a nice and considerate person and you will have gained the respect of others[which is earned].my 2 cents.
Old     (Cajun_Misfit)      Join Date: Jun 2010       09-08-2010, 9:08 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulieb View Post
If you have the money to pay for the boat and your paying for the bills to fix it and put gas in it, I think you can play whatever you want. There going to hear it from somebody some day, and there going to use the words them selfs also when there at some get together or a party, so they mite as well learn it while there young. I don't believe its a big deal.. IT'S ONLY MUSIC, its not the end of the world.
Are you serious? I understand what your trying to say but just because paid for the boat does not give you the right to pull up to a family (who has young kids) and blast your music. Whether it has explicit lyrics or not, its common curdicy to turn it down when people are trying to relax with their family. I'm a big metal head, so I like music that should be blasted when I'm riding, but only when I'm in motion. I will NOT pull up to another group of people, on dock or boat, and BLAST my music so others can bairly hold a convo... It may be "JUST MUSIC" but some people don't want to expose their children to some things at such a young age.

EVERYONE SHOULD RESPECT THAT!!!
Old     (nauty)      Join Date: Feb 2004       09-08-2010, 10:52 AM Reply   
So this past Sunday I decide to take my kids to Braum's (a family type ice cream place) for a burger and ice cream. While we're sitting there enjoying our meal 3 dudes come in and sit two booths over from us. One dude is telling a story from the night before about how he got pulled over and almost got a DUI. Every other word out of his mouth was F'this and F'that. I was on the verge of saying something, but from listening to his conversation I determined that this dude wasn't just oblivious, instead he just didn't care. Having a talk with this dude would have only caused a nasty scene in front of my kids. Fortunately he left after a few minutes.

It's obvious that there are people in this world that just don't care about anyone but themselves. Those of you in this thread who think you have the "right" to blast your music, cuss words or not, fit into this category. What is it that makes you think that people at a dock want to hear you play DJ? In most areas of the country there are laws against this type of behavior, it's called disturbing the peace. Just because there isn't a cop around to tell you otherwise doesn't mean you have a "right" to do so.

If you're in a cove by yourself cranking your tunes and some family boat pulls in after you, more power to you. You were there first and chances are a family boat won't want to anchor near you anyway. However, if you pull into an already occupied cove and decide to play stadium DJ, you're a douche!
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-08-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nauty View Post
So this past Sunday I decide to take my kids to Braum's (a family type ice cream place) for a burger and ice cream. While we're sitting there enjoying our meal 3 dudes come in and sit two booths over from us. One dude is telling a story from the night before about how he got pulled over and almost got a DUI. Every other word out of his mouth was F'this and F'that. I was on the verge of saying something, but from listening to his conversation I determined that this dude wasn't just oblivious, instead he just didn't care. Having a talk with this dude would have only caused a nasty scene in front of my kids. Fortunately he left after a few minutes.

It's obvious that there are people in this world that just don't care about anyone but themselves. Those of you in this thread who think you have the "right" to blast your music, cuss words or not, fit into this category. What is it that makes you think that people at a dock want to hear you play DJ? In most areas of the country there are laws against this type of behavior, it's called disturbing the peace. Just because there isn't a cop around to tell you otherwise doesn't mean you have a "right" to do so.

If you're in a cove by yourself cranking your tunes and some family boat pulls in after you, more power to you. You were there first and chances are a family boat won't want to anchor near you anyway. However, if you pull into an already occupied cove and decide to play stadium DJ, you're a douche!
I agree with that, especially the first thing you said.

I dont see anything wrong with blasting my music, i dont do it when dropping off/picking up/loading/unloading, but all other times its fair game. I dont listen to very much that has any REALLY offensive lyrics tho, the occasional F bomb is dropped but you would need to be listening for it to here it, make sense?

I wouldnt say the type of music you listen to shows weather or not you have class, I would say that when you choose to listen to a certain type of music shows it.
Old    mojo            09-08-2010, 3:05 PM Reply   
i personally never blare my music in my truck or my boat unless underway. i have a very loud system in my truck and i turn my music down when i get into a neighborhood or pull up to a place of business every time. i can't stand hearing people bump day or night driving by my house. my boat is full of wet sounds speakers and amps and i keep the towers off if nobody is riding. when someone is riding no overtly vulgar music is played. i'll admit when im in public sometimes i accidently curse, but usually realize it and feel bad if a little kid or elderly person is around. they are just words though and it's on you as parents to teach your children what is appropriate and what is not. in the long run, adjectives and adverbs are the least of your worries. if im at a get together and there are children there i disappear to smoke a cig. i think that's far more dangerous for a kid to do than curse. whenever i can't avoid it i immediately tell the younger folks i wish i never started, and that all it does is cost you money and health.
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       09-08-2010, 3:08 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
I wouldnt say the type of music you listen to shows weather or not you have class, I would say that when you choose to listen to a certain type of music shows it.
I agree 100%. My original statement was just poking fun.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       09-09-2010, 7:33 AM Reply   
i got in trouble this morning in class for laughing out loud when reading the title of this thread....

"Playing offensive music around kids" really? REALLY? this thread is almost as pointless as "Boobs for Ballast" ...but at least that one had visual gratification...

go watch the movie Old School and see how vince vaughn deals with his children hearing fowl language
Old     (malibupilot)      Join Date: Nov 2005       09-09-2010, 7:35 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ilikebeaverandboats View Post
I agree with that, especially the first thing you said.

I dont see anything wrong with blasting my music, i dont do it when dropping off/picking up/loading/unloading, but all other times its fair game. I dont listen to very much that has any REALLY offensive lyrics tho, the occasional F bomb is dropped but you would need to be listening for it to here it, make sense?

Ditto
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       09-09-2010, 9:15 AM Reply   
In a decade or so most of you that like to freely share your musical tastes, especially around people you know or suspect will be annoyed or find it offisensive, will probably realize what a douche move this is. Unfortunately when you come to this realization and find yourselves not really digging the other boats tunes you are now being forced to listen to, there will be another batch of persons lost in themselves to take your place.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       09-11-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
First amendment, granted it's been burned just like the second and fourth... Anyone is free do play whatever music they want. Personally I would be embarrassed to play offensive (vulgar language) around docks and children and either on the water or on land I keep my music at a modest comfortable level so I can enjoy it but no one else is has to listen to it. That's just me though, lots of others feel the need to blast their vulgar music around children or at all hours of the night. It annoys me but I just mind my own business, it's their right to do so, even if in poor taste.
Old     (imx)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-11-2010, 9:16 PM Reply   
Minding your own business is fine but that just encourages these neanderthals to chip the next piece off the cornerstone of decency, maybe taking a leak in full view of the public or something similar. I agree that by the time most kids are around 10yrs they have come across most of this stuff but does that make it OK to say to them 'sure go ahead and use it whenever,wherever'?This sort of behaviour lets the general public know that you no respect for anyone and care only for yourself. Glad I don't live in that kind of society - yet.
Old     (boardn197)      Join Date: Aug 2005       09-11-2010, 10:55 PM Reply   
Whether its blasting crappy music, cruising 10 mph in a no wake zone, or throwing rollers down a smooth cove with power turns, I'm always surprised with how clueless many boaters are especially those you'd expect to have a clue. I just expect those who can drop a ton of cash into a boat would have a true passion for water sports not just a status symbol. I understand the weekend warrior in an I/O, but if you've got a sport specific boat come on have a clue.
Old    mojo            09-12-2010, 12:44 AM Reply   
refer to the guy with a malibu with 20 tower speakers who doesn't ride. anyways, there's far more in life to worry about than vulgar music around kids. be good parents. outside influences will always be there. personally i don't want to hear anyone blaring country or frank sinatra at a stationary place like the boat ramp or parking lot or vulgar music for that matter.
Old     (ktm525)      Join Date: Mar 2009       09-12-2010, 6:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by boardn197 View Post
Whether its blasting crappy music, cruising 10 mph in a no wake zone, or throwing rollers down a smooth cove with power turns, I'm always surprised with how clueless many boaters are especially those you'd expect to have a clue. I just expect those who can drop a ton of cash into a boat would have a true passion for water sports not just a status symbol. I understand the weekend warrior in an I/O, but if you've got a sport specific boat come on have a clue.
Hey, We use an I/O and I take offense to the statement of being a weekend warrior. Don't lump us all into one category. We have a rocking system. We do not play offensive music at a dock or around a family atmosphere. We occasional;ly do will riding but usually turn it way down. Not trying to be an ass just don't want to lumped into a weekend warrior group. LOL
Old     (imx)      Join Date: Jul 2009       09-12-2010, 6:52 AM Reply   
Mojo, i think we have found some common ground.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       09-13-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
At least you're not in the Ozarks. I had to yell at someone to put out his "Godd&*() cigarette" while he was fueling his boat next to mine a couple of weeks ago.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-13-2010, 9:42 AM Reply   
So how do you handle a situation when you are in a friends boat, they have their kids on board, and they are blaring offensive music? That bothers me more than other people blaring offensive music.
Old     (acerock88)      Join Date: May 2008       09-13-2010, 12:43 PM Reply   
Not your kids, not your problem.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       09-13-2010, 1:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by gherk View Post
So how do you handle a situation when you are in a friends boat, they have their kids on board, and they are blaring offensive music? That bothers me more than other people blaring offensive music.
people with your mind set cause wars...just because you dont like it, doesnt mean they dont like it. If everyone just worried about themselves and the **** they can control, everyone would be happy. Not your kids, not your problem dude. thats how you handle it.
Old     (gherk)      Join Date: Aug 2001       09-13-2010, 1:19 PM Reply   
That's how I handle it. Just sparking conversation.
Old     (stephan)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-13-2010, 2:18 PM Reply   
I've said it many times on the WW forums, when people choose to be disrespectful and play vulgar music, fight fire with fire. I guarantee the last thing they want to hear is classical music blasted as loud as possible, another great mix is the Disney Classics or something like "Little Bunny Foo Foo". The conversation they start when offended by such magical tunes is great, and usually starts with a "why the F are you listening to that?", to which the appropriate answer is, "I like it and it just so happens my system is louder than yours, beeyotch!" Try it out.