Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (xstar_mike)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-14-2004, 9:57 PM Reply   
After a great week at Tahoe, I managed to find some rocks near a pier where I was dropping off some friends. While I have heard about props and replacement costs, I haven't read anything on replacing tracking fins (see below). First question, since I am probably replacing the prop, should I stick with the stock prop (2002 X-Star) or change to something else? Second, what is the cost to replace the tracking fin? Shaft looks OK, but I’ll have it checked when I take it to the shop. Thanks

Fin
Old     (gitair77)      Join Date: Sep 2001       08-15-2004, 7:34 AM Reply   
I had the same SMALL damage. We ended up replacing one tracking fin, the prop, a prop shaft. The prop strut was out of alignment. And the rudder had a small bend. All total---$4500. Check you boat insurance. Mine paid for all but the small deductable.
Old    hockeynriding03            08-15-2004, 9:44 AM Reply   
My friend ran over a bouy (dont ask me how) and bent the strut out of allignment and destroyed the prop. $2000
Old     (cdm)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-15-2004, 10:31 AM Reply   
obviously check your insurance. depending on how much weight you run on a normal basis etc. and the other aspects of boating that are important to you, ie. top end speed, i would look into an ACME 13.5 X 16 4 blade or OJ's 14 X 16 4 blade. Call ACME, they are very professional. If you are having planning issue with the stock prop or just want more power, change props. I prefer the ACME.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-15-2004, 11:30 AM Reply   
This only applies if your insurance doesn't pay for everything:

I don't know how much they charge for those tracking fins but I'll tell you what...if I could get at it easily, I'd just take a grinder, then a belt sander with a 220-grit or finer belt, and remove the bent part from that fin. Five minutes and I bet you couldn't notice ANY difference.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-15-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
Hi Mike,

Depending on your financial situation, insurance situation, and mechanical inclination there are several different approaches you could take. Since I am very mechanically inclined and very cheap I would repair the fin myself and have the prop repaired. Total cost would be about $200.

Since you are in sales with kids the value of your own time is probably different than mine so you might want to just take it down to Bell Acqua and have them make the repairs and bill your insurance company.

In either case both the prop and the tracking fin are repairable in my opinion. I have seen pitchometer in Alameda repair props in much worse condition to better than new tolerances. The prop doesn't really look that bad since there are no tears in the blades, just bends and scrapes.

In my opinion the tracking fin could be massaged back into shape fairly easily. That repair could be done without removing the fin from the boat. It is sometimes difficult to remove the fin without damaging the surrounding gelcoat so keep that in mind when you make your decisions. If you go through the trouble to remove the fin then it should be replaced.

Here is another option especially if you have plans for the boat in the next 2 weeks. Buy a new Acme prop and cut the folded trailing edge off the fin with a grinder (or just leave it) and enjoy the rest of the summer. When winter comes around have the rear fin replaced and have your stock prop repaired to use as a spare if this ever happens again. I hate letting small issues like this getting in the way of my fun plans.

Save that prop.

Mike

(Message edited by mikeski on August 15, 2004)
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       08-16-2004, 3:49 AM Reply   
Let me know if you want a discounted Acme - any size. Also have prop pullers.

rider@boarditup.com
Old    tommyadrian5            08-16-2004, 3:32 PM Reply   
I agree with ST and mike, just grind off that bent part from the tracking fin, assuming the rest is still in order. If you want, move that fin to the back of the three and move the back one to the front, if you're worried about turbulence issues from it.
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       08-16-2004, 7:14 PM Reply   
I think the fin is in the back.
Old    stoked27            08-16-2004, 7:50 PM Reply   
Just get the prop rebuilt, costs a lot less. I'm actually in the process of getting mine fixed. It saved me about $300.
Old     (salmon_tacos)      Join Date: Jan 2003       08-16-2004, 9:16 PM Reply   
Mark,

Not that it matters but I think the fin is in the front. The first picture is from the prop, looking forward past the trailer axles. The second is from the front, looking back past the trailer axles.
Old     (xstar_mike)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-16-2004, 9:52 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the input. Salmon is correct, the tracking fin in the picture is in the front and pics were taken at the angles he mentioned.

I took it into the shop today, and found that the drive shaft may be tweaked as well. Decided to have them evaluate, and will probably fix the busted prop to use as spare, get new prop, and replace front fin (quoted approx. $80 for fin; I don't have a grinder). I would like to have the "spare" prop in case this happens on the first day of a future trip. I'll update when the work is complete. Thanks again.
Old     (joe_788)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-16-2004, 10:28 PM Reply   
Anybody know of a good prop repair shop in the Sacramento area? I need my Acme straightened up a bit.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-17-2004, 2:45 PM Reply   
Joe,
There used to be a prop shop on Elkhorn between North Highlands and Rio Linda but I don't know if they are still there or if they were any good. Pitchometer in Alameda is probably your best bet, just send it to them.

Mike,
Grab your prop and turn it by hand, if it turns with constant resistance throughout a complete rotation then the shaft is most likely OK. If it is seems to bind then it is probably bent. Replacing straight shafts are probably the biggest source of unneeded repairs being performed by boat dealers. If they do replace the shaft get your old one and roll it across a flat surface just to confirm that it was indeed bent.
Old     (tazz)      Join Date: Oct 2003       08-17-2004, 4:50 PM Reply   
Joe
This is a local shop over on the hwy 50 side.
www.thomasmarinepropeller.com
Old     (xstar_mike)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-20-2004, 9:00 AM Reply   
Just got word, it's gonna run me about $2700 to fix the underwater damage . Calling insurance today.
Old    zboomer            08-20-2004, 11:52 AM Reply   
$2700? @#@#*(#$#!!

Geez, if the cost to repair these boats keep's going up, so will insurance. Reminds me of when I used to own a sport bike. If it fell over standing still it was like $3500 damage. Ridiculous.

Is that a nibral prop? So much for the theory often offered that nibral is soft enough to save the driveshaft if you hit a rock!
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       08-20-2004, 11:15 PM Reply   
I'll do it for $2600...

Seriously Mike, take it somewhere else you are getting shafted (pun intended).

Worst case scenario:
Prop $350
Shaft $300
Fin $100
4 hours labor $500
Total: $1250

Please give us the itemized estimate... These are all just bolt on parts, were not repairing the space shuttle.

I completely folded a blade over when I sucked a log into the prop in reverse and that didn't even bend the 1" shaft on my old boat. That X probably has a 1.125" shaft...

I guess this is why our insurance premiums are so high.
Old     (bakerds)      Join Date: Feb 2004       08-22-2004, 9:20 AM Reply   
I found that there are "busy summer month premiums" to pay if and when you can get in somewher. Even so, in July I had my shaft (1.125), strut, prop and rudder replaced for $1500 and that included extra labor to pull the rear seat and gas tank.
Old     (dbjts)      Join Date: Nov 2003       08-22-2004, 1:37 PM Reply   
If you mention the word "insurance" when getting a quote for anything the price goes way up.