Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       05-03-2011, 11:19 AM Reply   
So I am on a College Ski and wakeboard team here in California and we recently recieved a brand new 2011 ski boat. We have had nothing but problems with it since we picked it up. We should have never picked it up from the dealership in this condition but being a bunch of college students stoked with a new boat we looked pass some things. (stupid of us)

What i would like to hear from you guys is what are some steps that we can take in order to make sure this boat is takin care of by the boat company and free of charge for us.

Heres the list of things broken on our boat.

1) windshield not bolted down all the way
2) coolant hose disconnect caused impeller to burn after service
3) start code changed, not told after service (not able to start boat when put into the water had to swim it back)
4) bow light broken and given back not fixed
5) low voltage warning constintly flashing
6) service now warning constintly flashing
7) boat delivered without port side decal
8) Wedge goes down automaticly in a middle of a ski run or when parked at dock
9) boat auto-starts with no one in it
10) engine box smells like gas
11) transmission fluid in bottom of engine box
12) fuel gauge does not work
13) tower racks not installed upon delivery
14) USB port on radio doesnt work
15) Condensation in all screens and gauges
16) boat died in middle of lake 2nd time in the water, had to be towed back to marina
17) battery not holding charge
18) 2 trailer lights dont work

We have novice boat drivers and skiers on the team, so having a poor quality boat makes it increasingly difficult for them to gain confidence skiing and driving. Its hard for me to feel comfortable driving the boat with problems like the wedge going down for no reason, and the boat starts with no one in it.

any feedback on how to get this boat fixed or bought back from us by the company would be awesome! thanks for all of your help!
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       05-03-2011, 11:36 AM Reply   
Good lord, it starts on it's own? That's a major problem! Have you contacted the manufacturer directly?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-03-2011, 11:36 AM Reply   
Why would you prepare a post like this and not identify the name of the company, model of the boat, etc., and yet state that the boat has a "wedge"?
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-03-2011, 11:41 AM Reply   
Sounds like you have a bunch of problems that arent easy fixes. @chattwake it seems likehe is trying to be as professional as possible with out throwing a manufacturer under the bus, Wedge or not. He wants his schools boat fixed.
When i bought my boat I had many problems as well. It was brand new. Its eventually got fixed but was not easy and I had to do a lot myslef. I would go back to the dealer with the list above and ask what they can do. If they cant do anythign then I would get in touch with the schools lawyers and have them draft up a letter. Sometimes a threat from a lawyer goes a long way.

Was this boat purchased or given to you. I would assume purchased. Who paid for it? School or was it a gift? If the school shelled out the coin then I would assume they would want their investment working properly.

Hope this helps.
Old     (lifetimewarranty)      Join Date: Oct 2008       05-03-2011, 11:47 AM Reply   
I'm with Ian. I'd add that number nine should be NUMBER 1!!! YIKES!

Did they buy it from Lucifer?!

I'm guessing you aren't in charge of the boat, so hopefully the person that is, has already gotten in touch with the dealer/mfr and is trying to get these issues resolved?

What school is it

And yes, what mfr is it?
Old     (slipknot)      Join Date: Aug 2001       05-03-2011, 11:49 AM Reply   
Malibu right? Lemons are lemons, sometimes you just have to make lemonade
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       05-03-2011, 11:54 AM Reply   
Quote:
and yet state that the boat has a "wedge"?
Could be any company..... but probably not.

I would hope for a whole new boat and not settle for just repairs.... that things sounds like a POS
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       05-03-2011, 11:56 AM Reply   
Ian- yes it starts on its own and i have contacted the dealer but they have not been much help the boat has been in the shop numerous times. next step is manufacturer.

Chattwake- there are several boat companies that have a "wedge"

Rob- Thank you for noticing me trying to address this in a professional way. The boat was bought by the School and we are trying to get in contact with the right people at the school. we are coming to the end of the school year and our counsel members are ending their terms so we are trying to get this solved quick. Thanks for your help!!
Old     (2007_x2)      Join Date: May 2007       05-03-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
Tim- yes i agree, the list is in no particular order. I would like to keep the manufatuer unknown at this moment.

hate2party- im hoping its not a lemon but it sure sounds like it

Nick- we are hoping for a new boat we arelosing a lot of money having to rent boats for our tournaments and not being able to practice.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-03-2011, 12:04 PM Reply   
What boats come with a "wedge", other than Malibu/Axis?
Old     (bcrider)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-03-2011, 12:07 PM Reply   
If your dealer isn't being any help I would go straight to the manufacturer and talk to them.
Old     (ottog1979)      Join Date: Apr 2007       05-03-2011, 12:10 PM Reply   
Forget #9, I'd start with #10 first on the list!!
Old     (Jeff)      Join Date: May 2010       05-03-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
You should have said "The mechanical wake enhancer goes down automaticly in a middle of a ski run or when parked at dock" to keep it more generic.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-03-2011, 12:41 PM Reply   
I can only assume it's a malibu, since it apparently has a power wedge. If it had a manual wedge, and the retaining pins were messed up, there is no way it would spontaneously drop on only one or two occasions - especially while the boat was sitting still. If this guy's going to mention the fact that the boat has a wedge, why not just tell us what specific model we are talking about here? Perhaps some people could help make more knoweldgeable suggestions that way.
Old     (newty)      Join Date: May 2005       05-03-2011, 12:44 PM Reply   
Maybe #9 combined with #10 will fix all your problems and you can get a new boat.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-03-2011, 12:46 PM Reply   
A lot of these issues seem to be dealer related. However, if gauges are not working, that should have been picked up on during laketest. You may want to check to see if your batteries are any good. Sounds like you're having a lot of low voltage issues, which can make a boat go crazy. Dealers put batteries in these boats, so I'd definitely look to the dealer to see what's going on there. Also, boats usually ship winterized from the factory, so if a hose popped off, that also may very well be a dealer issue. Sometimes dealers install racks as well. I don't know what's up with the decal missing. That's crazy.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-03-2011, 12:49 PM Reply   
Sounds like you need to talk to your dealer. If that doesn't get you anywhere I'm sure the manufacture would like to know about it. The dealers are there to represent them as a company. It doesn't take much for a dealer to make a company look bad.

Trust me.... I've been around the block with lot's of boat companies. Some are better at customer service than others, but they all have problems. Breaking in new boats is one of my least favorite times of the year. There seems always to be something that's not right.

That said... You're relationship with your dealer will make/break your boating experience. Contact them directly and ask to speak with the manager. Sit down face to face if possible and voice your concerns. Posts on the internet will just get you negative attention. Use it as a very last resource.
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       05-03-2011, 12:51 PM Reply   
Heck.... If you want to discuss it personally, shoot me a PM. I might be able to help you guys out with some contacts.
Old     (shawn_scott)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-03-2011, 12:52 PM Reply   
Has to be a Malibu or could be a Axis. With the trouble they are having at the plant Send a letter or email to Malibu. If that does not work send one to the people that own Malibu (Black Canyon Capital).
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-03-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
Just my opinion, but almost all of those issues are on the dealer. Some fall under issues that should have been found and handled when the dealer prepped the boat, others are warranty issues the dealer should handle now.

One thing to understand, boats are not cars. Even the best made boats (insert your favorite brand here) have many little issues that are consistent with low production volume and manual labor processes. Most of the time it takes a year or so to work out the bugs of new boats, which is why many people prefer to buy a year or two old. (The issues have been sorted, the manufacturers warranty still remains) Does your boat have more than the typical amount of problems, yes probably. Does it make it a lemon? Not really, I have actually dealt with worse. What is painfully clear though is your dealer is not helping; I would suggest going directly to the manufacturer and detailing all of your problems thus far.
Old     (migs)      Join Date: Aug 2006 Location: SF Bay Area       05-03-2011, 1:08 PM Reply   
"Breaking in new boats is one of my least favorite times of the year. There seems always to be something that's not right"

AMEN!!!
Old     (shawn_scott)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-03-2011, 1:17 PM Reply   
I do not think that most of those issues are the dealer. Yes some of them should be caught at the dealership when they are getting it ready. But a lot of his issues came from the factory.
Old     (lfadam)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-03-2011, 1:20 PM Reply   
Man that sucks, thats a lot of stuff to go wrong on a brand new boat. That insane that your school paid for a brand new boat though, I thought our school giving us a few grand a year was nice...
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-03-2011, 1:21 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn_scott View Post
I do not think that most of those issues are the dealer. Yes some of them should be caught at the dealership when they are getting it ready. But a lot of his issues came from the factory.
Boats are always unloaded with issues. That is the point of paying dealer prep. The dealerships I work with would have never let a boat like that get delivered, and I am sure most on this site that have worked in a service department would admit these kind of issues are common before prep is done.
Old     (shawn_scott)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-03-2011, 1:30 PM Reply   
How would the dealer know about a boat starting on its own. How would the dealer know about the wedge going down on its own. How would a dealer know about the window. Dealer does not install decal on side. Yes the dealer should fix these issues. But the boat should not come in looking like this. I have bought 14 Malibu boats and now have an axis. I help prep the boats when the come in. The boats coming from Malibu right now are not the best.
Old     (Brett_B)      Join Date: Sep 2010       05-03-2011, 1:31 PM Reply   
#3 combined with #8 and #9 means it has to be a Malibu, since they have a power wedge, with a 4-digit code on a touchscreen to start the engine. That is the really the only feature I don't like about the new 'Bu's, as that touchscreen being the only way to start the engine can lead to #16 happening anytime that the screen has an issue. Why can't they let the screen control all the accessories but offer a standard keyed ignition to start the engine? Touchscreens are cool and all, but I think they took it a bit too far with the keyless ignition.

As far as your problems, as others have mentioned it sounds like the battery install may be suspect. Improper grounds or fluctuating voltage levels can cause all sorts of havoc on these types of electronics. I'm sure California has lemon laws and any student legal body could draft up a letter for you. In my state, if they can't fix it after the third trip back for the same problem in a given period of time, you get a new vehicle.
Old     (tampawake)      Join Date: Mar 2008       05-03-2011, 1:35 PM Reply   
Dear gawd you guys pay freaking 70 plus and you get problems dear gawd!!!! Your dealer sucks bypass them go directly to the manufacturer. Also name them here. Chatt is right or go to the malibucrew, tigeowners, mcteamtalk and start screaming!!!!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-03-2011, 1:49 PM Reply   
I'd just bring the boat back to the dealer. Describe all of the problems. See what they are willing to do. Most of these issues sound like a combination of small things and battery/voltage issues. I've bought a new boat every year for the past 5 or 6 years and I've had small issues, like loose screws, etc. with EVERY boat I've gotten new. The TPS sensor went out on one of my 230's within a week of owning it. I just went back to the dealer and they fixed it.

Much of this stuff (like the decal) should have been handled by the dealer from the get go. Now that you've had some issues, the dealer should fix what needs to be fixed.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-03-2011, 2:06 PM Reply   
Quote:
How would the dealer know about a boat starting on its own. How would the dealer know about the wedge going down on its own. How would a dealer know about the window. Dealer does not install decal on side. Yes the dealer should fix these issues. But the boat should not come in looking like this. I have bought 14 Malibu boats and now have an axis. I help prep the boats when the come in. The boats coming from Malibu right now are not the best.
Starting on its own, that would be hard to determine before delivery, same thing with the wedge. I completely agree with you there. The dealer should double check things like windshields though. (Because often times they are loose or mis-aligned from the factory) The dealer might not install the decals, but they shouldn't let a customer leave without a replacement installed.

Say what you want, but if I bought a boat that a dealer let go with most of those issues and refused to fix the others that popped up, that would be the last boat I bought from that dealer. Malibu might be turning out crap boats right now, but its on the dealer to make things right. (To clarify, I used the term "might," I have no window into what Malibu is currently turning out compared to what it was in years past)
Old     (shawn_scott)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-03-2011, 2:24 PM Reply   
They know they have a problem with some of the stuff that they are using right now. My VLX was doing the same things. If the customer wants the boat right then we would let him take it and up the decal on when it comes in. Now that might take a few weeks or a month. But should it even leave the plant that way? Yes the dealer here should fix the problems and I feel for the buyer. I also would not go back to the dealer for another boat. I guess they should have bought a Axis. No power wedge and a key Just don't look at the gelcoat real good. Plus it's only 65,000 Ha HA
Old     (kstateskier)      Join Date: May 2002       05-03-2011, 2:29 PM Reply   
Was this boat bought straight through the dealership or was it part of some college team buying program? If so, I would get with the Regional rep? What do you mean renting boats for tournaments? Are there not any promo team members in California?

I'm not saying this is fishy, but there are some questionable info here. I was in charge of a major college ski team for multiple years, and first I would say any school that bought a club a boat without a better set of guidelines of who was in control, who could drive the boat, etc. has a lot to learn.

If a club is going to have a boat, the club needs to have 1-2 members or a coach/advisor that is going to take the reigns of both responsibility and service issues when it comes to the boat. When a club doesn't have that one contact person, dealerships are going to get flooded with calls from multiple members, which will often agitate said dealer, especially when clubs are usually getting a boat at a discounted price and the dealer is already flooded with service issues from other customers.

I'm not doubting that you are having some issues, as I've been associated with promo boats in the past, and as others have said, the first year of boat ownership can be quite frustrating. But I think you need to have the President of the club get in contact with the dealer and if that doesn't work, get in contact with the companies Western Region rep. I would also ask the rep who the nearest promo driver is so that you are not having to "rent" boats for tournaments.

I also think the said club has a lot of other issues to get in line which may be off topic but having inexperienced drivers pulling inexperience skiers, especially on small private lakes, can be very dangerous and even deadly. Putting people in these situations with equipment that they are not familiar with is just asking for both risky situations and problems with boats, gear, etc. as most of these people are not familiar with high end equipment. I know in the Midwest that probably only 4 in 10 ski club members had ever driven a tournament ski boat when they joined the club. So once you do get the boat issues in line I would really work on setting a number of guidelines so that the boat is safely taken care of and in top order when it comes time to sell it at the end of the year.

Sorry for the rant...
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-03-2011, 2:37 PM Reply   
man, to me that is unacceptable for any product you pay that kind of money for.. A brand new boat should work just like a brand new car.. I could see minor things but it sounds like he has some serious electrical night mares. I to would first check grounds... wow.. missing decals from day one as well??? something sounds off here..
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-03-2011, 3:00 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarFanatic5 View Post
man, to me that is unacceptable for any product you pay that kind of money for.. A brand new boat should work just like a brand new car..
Never going to happen. The manufacturing process and smaller build numbers create a much more "problematic" product. Anyone that has bought a new boat has dealt with issues. More automated processes with less human involvement would lead to better product, but because of the small build cycles it is not cost effective to manufacture the same ways cars are.

Last edited by MattieK27; 05-03-2011 at 3:02 PM.
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-03-2011, 4:06 PM Reply   
I would have never accepted delivery if the boat was missing the port side decal. I'm not trying to implicate any company, but if they missed that detail, what is to make me believe that they didn't miss other details.

Screw going to a boat owner's forum, I would contact the manufacturer (someone high on the ladder) and if they didn't immediately suggest a solution to remedy the situation, I would contact an attorney.
Old     (shawn_scott)      Join Date: Aug 2003       05-03-2011, 4:38 PM Reply   
They do need to send a e-mail to the manufacturer they will get back to you. Send me a email and I will give you some names. I had to send several about my 2011 Axis and last years LSV and VLX.. I love Malibu maybe they will make some changes. I do not understaind why people would think that a smaller build number would mean more problems. I would think that being built slower would mean that nothing would be missed ( just me though ) Just like some cars that are hand built and cost big money. For what you pay for these boats now days they should not have any problems.
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-03-2011, 5:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
They do need to send a e-mail to the manufacturer they will get back to you. Send me a email and I will give you some names. I had to send several about my 2011 Axis and last years LSV and VLX.. I love Malibu maybe they will make some changes. I do not understaind why people would think that a smaller build number would mean more problems. I would think that being built slower would mean that nothing would be missed ( just me though ) Just like some cars that are hand built and cost big money. For what you pay for these boats now days they should not have any problems.
Smaller build number means more manual labor, which can cause variation and flaws in the finished product. Cars and boats are very different in terms of manufacturing, and the engineering that goes into them. Cars can be manufacturing at a higher percision, and the cost for the assembly methods can be spread across a larger production run. A large production run for a boat is still smaller than most exotic car production runs. Manual labor also drives up cost, and given the economic climate boat companies have been reducing plant staff to help make ends meet. That also can contribute to a slip in quality.

I definately don't disagree that for the cost their quality control should be better, but it isn't. The boating industry has always been this way, and it is something new boat buyers have just come to accept.
Old     (jdhart73)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-03-2011, 8:45 PM Reply   
Old     (skyski1)      Join Date: Jan 2008       05-03-2011, 9:28 PM Reply   
There are enough problems here to warrant bypassing the dealer and going direct to the mfg. You seem to have a good head on your shoulders and know how to convey your thoughts without any jackassery. That is an asset. Use it.
Old     (chexi)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-03-2011, 9:48 PM Reply   
Check the lemon laws in your state and contact a lemon law lawyer. Many states have statutory damages / replacement remedies and attorneys fees on top, so the lemon law lawyers don't charge you. This is not true in all states, but I would google lemon law lawyer in your state. This is all assuming that they won't replace the boat for you without a fight. I'm really glad that I have never bought a new boat if this is par for the course.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-04-2011, 5:48 AM Reply   
Why is everyone here taking this matter straight to Deafcon V, threat alert orange, terror level Bravo?? Does it sound like the boat has issues? Yup. However, the dealer very well may be able to rectify all of this guy's concerns. The quickest and easiest route, hands down, is through the dealer. Do you guys think that you can just drop off a boat at a factory and they'll be able to immediately squeeze it into assembly and rework an issue like a loose screw, crooked windshield and missing decal? I have yet to hear that the boat was taken back to the dealer and the dealer told the kid "I'm not fixing it".

As to the list of concerns, here are my thoughts:
1) windshield not bolted down all the way (should have been bolted down correctly at the factory - however, this is an easy DIY or dealer fix)
2) coolant hose disconnect caused impeller to burn after service (sounds like the dealer did not de-winterize the boat)
3) start code changed, not told after service (not able to start boat when put into the water had to swim it back) (Sounds like the dealer changed the code - should have been a simple fix by calling the dealer and finding out what the new code was)
4) bow light broken and given back not fixed (should not come broken from the factory, but was this damaged during shipment or at the dealership? Either way, this is a simple dealer repair)
5) low voltage warning constintly flashing (sounds like bum batteries - dealers install batteries, not the factory)
6) service now warning constintly flashing (same as number 5. If that's not the case, then the dealer needs to figure out what is going on with its diagnostic software)
7) boat delivered without port side decal (factory should have put the decal on; however, the dealer should be able to easily put a decal on when it comes in)
8) Wedge goes down automaticly in a middle of a ski run or when parked at dock (same as number 5 and 6)
9) boat auto-starts with no one in it (same as number 5 and 6)
10) engine box smells like gas (do you run the blower before and for a little while after you start the boat or after you fuel up? - may be normal)
11) transmission fluid in bottom of engine box (not sure what's going on here, but if there's not a leak, the dealer should be able to easily clean this up).
12) fuel gauge does not work (dealer should be able to trouble shoot this and replace a gauge)
13) tower racks not installed upon delivery (sometimes racks are not installed from the factory - depends on how the boat was ordered - the dealer should have put them on. However, how hard is it really to throw a set of racks on the boat?)
14) USB port on radio doesnt work (not sure what's going on here. Are you using the right input? Are you trying to play an ipod or pandora? There are tricks to make pandora work on the BU or Axis systems via the usb).
15) Condensation in all screens and gauges (how new is the boat? Sometimes condensation happens and will burn off quickly? Have you let the boat sit out in the sun and see if the condensation goes away?)
16) boat died in middle of lake 2nd time in the water, had to be towed back to marina (sounds like 5 and 6 again)
17) battery not holding charge (5 and 6 again)
18) 2 trailer lights dont work (who made the trailer? Malibu does not make trailers.)

Here's what I'd like to know: Who's your dealer? What efforts have already been made to address these issues? Is this a school boat, or does it belong to some kid who's dad bought it for him? Do you have any pictures of the problems you are having? What batteries are in the boat? How about describing some of the issues you are having in greater detail? Was this a cost/promo deal or something where you cut a dealer out of the equation and got a boat direct - and therefore you bypassed the normal channels through which issues like the ones you are experienced get worked out before the consumer ever gets the boat?
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-04-2011, 5:55 AM Reply   
One other thought about condensation. Sometimes weather/climate changes chan cause condensation issues. Depending on where the boat was stored/constructed, if there were any drastic changes in humidity/temp before the boat was first used, you can get some condensation certain places But, if you're in a hot climate, like, say, California, I would think the hot/relatively dry climate would cause the condensation to evaporate.
Old     (iliketowakealot)      Join Date: May 2011       05-04-2011, 8:17 AM Reply   
Welcome to the wonderful world of boat ownership! All of those things can happen, unfortunately, and it frustrating that it’s a new boat. I had issues with a newly purchased Mastercraft and called them for resolution. Mastercraft gave me the best piece of info I’ve ever heard…”The Hull and Engine are warranted separately by the manufacturer” meaning they are two seperate items addressed differently. Anyways, Mastercraft stepped up, payed for everything and solved the problem. 850 engine hours later, still running strong – knock on wood. Here are a few tips for boat managment

1. Educate yourself about the boat. Get as many manuals as possible, go online, ask the dealer, etc. Look at these to see how the water flows thru the engine, understand which fuses are connected to what, etc. Then, spend a little time studying the engine so you know what it looks like and how it sounds/feels when its running.
2. Find a good, honest mechanic if possible. The dealer may not be your best choice.
3. When having a mechanic work on the boat, provide an action list and follow up on them before leaving the shop, i.e, did you fix that light? Turn the lights on and confirm. Whenever I get my boat back and start doing maintenance, I always find where the mechanic didn’t place all the bolts back where they were. No one loves your boat like you do.
4. Network with people that know how to fix boats. When I have a problem that I don’t know how to diagnose, I’ll call around the country to multiple Mastercraft dealerships and talk to someone in the service department to see if anyone has had a similar problem. If nothing else, it’s a starting point and I’ve been able to solve most issues. Also, I belong to a boat club and ask around if anyone knows how to resolve an issue, whereas people have years of boating experience and are quick to help. Also, Google is your friend. Search and research your issues.
5. Finally, keep your engine clean.

Good luck and I hope things improve. Remember, boats need constant attention. I think that’s why boats are referred to as female!!
Old     (illini88)      Join Date: Oct 2007       05-04-2011, 12:22 PM Reply   
I'd think the engine starting on it's own randomly could be catastrophic, as it could start when it's out of the water and overheat. Be sure to disconnect the battery when it's out of the water. Sounds to me like this thing could have a bad touch screen in it. I'm assuming the wedge is controlled by the touch screen, as is the start code for the engine. Some of the warnings also likely come from the screen. The screen seems to be the common thread here. There appears to be fault on the parts of both the manufacturer and the dealer here. Frankly, both should be embarrassed by something like this. Good luck getting this figured out.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-04-2011, 1:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by slipknot View Post
Lemons are lemons, sometimes you just have to make lemonade
I believe what you're suggesting is insurance fraud.
Old     (CarFanatic5)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-04-2011, 1:43 PM Reply   
I would think that lower production would mean more attention to detail... Besides the issues he is having all seem to be electircal, which is not manufactured by the dealer, those parts are most likely made by the same company's that make car in dash controllers. I would be pissed if a new boat did half of the things on his list!
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-04-2011, 1:58 PM Reply   
Bad batteries and voltage issues can make boats, cars, etc. do crazy stuff. Before everyone jumps the gun and assumes that the entire electrical system in this boat is jacked, maybe we should wait and see what the OP has to say once he has spoken to the dealer and/or done some legwork to figure out what the real story is with this boat.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-04-2011, 6:27 PM Reply   
This type of stuff is the exact reason I avoid fuel injection and electronics in my vehicles that I have to drive every day, and prefer not to have it on my toys. I like my stuff to just work, and I don't really need all the fancy luxuries and amenities. I would be livid if I dropped $75k on a boat and it wasn't ready to go. For that price it should just work.
Old     (Bolo)      Join Date: May 2011       05-04-2011, 6:47 PM Reply   
Why don't you want to tell the manufacturers name? Don't you think someone thinking about dropping 80 grand on a new Malibu (or whoever the unknown manufacturer is) would want to know about problems like this? Besides if you start throwing the manufacturers name around I guarantee whoever the manufacturer is (probably Malibu) will get that thing fixed real quick.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-04-2011, 8:37 PM Reply   
You know what's funny about the OP... he thinks he's protecting people by keeping names out of it. Anybody who knows anything about power wedges and socal dealers knows exactly who he's talking about.

If he really wanted to protect folks, why did he bring it to the internet instead of to the dealer like Chattwake suggested?

I swear, these millenials need to learn... some things in life are best left "offline."

I also find it interesting how the OP hasn't posted a response in over 24 hours. Since then over 5,000 words have been written, yet nothing from the OP.

I'll be the first to say it... Smells like a troll to me.

Old     (buluver)      Join Date: Jun 2004       05-04-2011, 9:06 PM Reply   
Tilly's?
Old     (fman)      Join Date: Nov 2008       05-04-2011, 10:32 PM Reply   
On a more positive note, I just clicked 10 hours on my 2011 VLX with no problems, boat has been running great. I have a couple very little minor items to be taken care of at the 20 hr service but overall far less problems with my Malibu than I had with my Supra at 10 hours.

After reading his list of problems, I cant imagine Malibu (assuming thats the brand) releasing a boat with partial decals on one side of the boat, trans flud leaking, fogged up screens, boat starting with nobody in it, etc etc.... seriously, that is crazy?!?!? it just does not make sense to me. I hope he can get it worked out and go through the dealership. Malibu is a great builder, and I cant imagine them not taking care of all these issues on a brand new boat.

There is a reason they are not taking any more orders on some Bu models this year, it is not because they are releasing boats with a laundry list of issues.

Best of luck to you.... please keep us updated on your progress with your dealership and Malibu.
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-05-2011, 5:33 AM Reply   
I have 20 hours on my 2011 A22 with zero problems (other than a loose screw in the driver's footwell that I took 3 seconds to fix myself).
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-05-2011, 6:27 AM Reply   
Jesus Chattwake - you buy a ****ing boat and all of a sudden you would think your'e the owner/operator/engineer/lifeblood of Malibu/Axis.. Step off their nuts a bit homie
Old     (MattieK27)      Join Date: Mar 2010       05-05-2011, 6:53 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
Jesus Chattwake - you buy a ****ing boat and all of a sudden you would think your'e the owner/operator/engineer/lifeblood of Malibu/Axis.. Step off their nuts a bit homie
He does? I have read his posts on here and other sites, I guess I don't see it...
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-05-2011, 7:38 AM Reply   
jeff, I would say the same things I'm saying about BU if this guy had bought a nautique, mc, etc. I've got a bunch of friends who are dealers. I know people who work at a variety of plants. I've bought a bunch of new boats (mc, cc, bu, etc.) - some of which were promo's. I've got friends who get promo boats. I've seen situations like this before.

The OP (his dad or his school) may very well have bought this boat the traditional way, through a local dealer, paid full price, the dealer may have received the boat, had an opportunity to make it ready and fix all of the small stuff, install racks, install good batteries, de-winterize, clean up any spilt fluids, etc., and just dropped the ball - and/or there may be some electrical issues that the dealer could not have discovered until they manifested themselves - but now that they have - the dealer should resolve. I don't know what the heck's going on with the decal, but certainly the dealer can get one in and put it on. It would be nice to see a picture of the boat so we know what's going on with that.

Alternatively, the OP may have gotten a promo deal through his school or through some other connections. Those deals have the potential to sometimes cause issues like this because if you are getting a promo boat and it's not run through a dealer the same way as a normal purchase, all sorts of little things(like loose screws, decals, small things that are damaged during shipment, good batteries, correct de-winterization, etc.) may not get worked out on the front end by the dealer. In my experience, if a dealer doesn't make money on a boat, they sometimes don't "make the boat ready" like they do for a normal purchase. On several prior promo boats I've gotten, they were unloaded by the shipper, I cut the white cover off, signed the bill of lading, and took the boat straight home. I had to install batteries, speakers, de-winterize, fix loose screws, make sure I had all the parts I needed, etc. The dealer didn't help and I didn't expect him to. I knew what to expect, and I wasn't surprised that I had a few issues to sort out myself. We don't know what the deal is with this boat.

It just seems to me like this guy, and some others, may be overreacting a bit about what's going on here. We don't know the details as to how the OP wound up in the position he is in. Seems to me that it is unfair for someone to come online, to a public forum, and start a thread like this, which implies that a particular company produced a lemon boat that basically starts itself, is falling apart, and is a ticking time bomb, without giving all of the backstory. Look what's happened. People are assuming this guy paid full freight, that the boat was manufactured with all sorts of problems (as opposed to problems being caused by bad batteries, damages during shipment, etc.), the dealer had a full and fair opportunity to get the boat ready, sent a boat out with serious issues, and that no one is willing to fix anything now.

There is no doubt that he is experiencing some significant problems. However, as I've explained earlier, many of those problems may be resolved through new batteries and/or may have been caused by a dealer and/or a dealer may not have even had an opportunity to "make this boat ready" before the OP picked it up. Again, for all we know, this could have been some promo boat that was purchased via bypassing a dealer. There are many scenarios that should be considered here, as opposed to just that this boat is a complete piece of garbage and the dealer/manufacturer are being unreasonable. My suspicion is that this boat will get fixed and we'll never hear fromt his guy again. Perhaps, this boat would have been fixed in the first place, and someone coming on here and striking a match and causing a wildfire of speculation and criticism was not necessary.

Flame me all you want. I'm simply trying to offer a different perspective of what's going on because I've seen situations like this come up before. Keep in mind that all we are hearing is bits and pieces of one side of this story.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-05-2011, 7:42 AM Reply   
Malibu's very own white knight
Old     (chattwake)      Join Date: Jan 2010       05-05-2011, 7:49 AM Reply   
And for the record, if this guy comes on here and says that his dealer is refusing to help and the factory slammed the door in his face, and the boat's electrical system is completely jacked, that's absolutely B.S.!!! If the real facts are that bad, they should be posted up here.
Old     (jmanst15)      Join Date: Jun 2010       05-05-2011, 8:06 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff_mn View Post
Malibu's very own white knight
sounds like somebody is jealous they cant be the white knight.
Old     (jeff_mn)      Join Date: Jul 2009       05-05-2011, 8:16 AM Reply   
LOL..

I'm just trolling.

OP hasn't posted since the initial thread.
Old     (clayton191)      Join Date: Apr 2006       05-05-2011, 10:04 AM Reply   
lol - chattwake has done an excellent job at enticing me to buy an axis...
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       05-05-2011, 11:14 AM Reply   
So you buy a 2011 boat, and all sorts of stuff is messed up. I look at is as there is no one else to blame other than the dealer of the manufacturer. If the dealer dropped the ball then they need to fix it. If they wont you go over their head to the manufacturer. If the manufacturer messed it up I would hope thay would take care of you. If not sink the b1tch and collect and get a mastercraft or nautique. Bottom line is you have a 2011 brand new boat. It doesnt work and steps need to be taken to get it to work or a new boat should be issued. Not everyone can get "promos" like chattwake but no matter how you obtain it should work like any boat off the assembly line. PERIOD/.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-05-2011, 12:57 PM Reply   
I would hook that boat up, haul it to the dealer and refuse to leave until its fixed. If they refuse, I would camp out across the street with a big sign on the boat that says "This guy will rip you off on a $$$ boat. Don't buy from him"!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       05-05-2011, 12:58 PM Reply   
Oh, and the BBB is your friend.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-05-2011, 4:22 PM Reply   
If you haven't already done so I'd do as others have said. Bring it to the dealer with a list of everything you've found wrong with it. Tell them you understand sometimes things slip through, but you are out a lot of money on a boat you can't use and you want it fixed as quickly as possible. Give them a week and if it's not fixed ask for your money back or a replacement boat. If they won't take the boat back (they won't, but you have to ask), contact the BBB and a lawyer. Get ready for a fight.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-05-2011, 4:25 PM Reply   
Oh, and since this is a ski team/club boat that sounds like you intended to be used for training and competitions, I would ask for a loaner until it's fixed. Doesn't have to be brand new or the same model... But something reasonably new that you can ride behind. If they do this, give them more than a week to fix yours if they need it. Tell them to take as long as they need to fix and test it, but when you get it back you want it to work 100%.
Old     (ixfe)      Join Date: Aug 2008       05-05-2011, 4:33 PM Reply   
I think it's funny that you are all still replying to this dude...

He's long gone...
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       05-05-2011, 5:06 PM Reply   
He joined May 2007 and has 573 posts... He'll be back. If not, all the advice here may help anyone else who gets in a similar bind.
Old     (wakebrdr94)      Join Date: Jul 2010       05-05-2011, 5:14 PM Reply   
Calling BS on the part of the dealer not helping him here in so cal. I have bought a boat from both dealers and they both have been top notch, especially in the service departments. I'm on my second vlx and based on my experience with malibu, and their dealers, I'm a loyal customer to them. I've had issues on my boats, and pretty much had them fixed same day if possible and if I was willing to wait a few hours. Yes, he probably has some serious issues going on, but if he dealing with either shop, he'll be taken care of
Old     (wake77)      Join Date: Jan 2009       05-05-2011, 5:36 PM Reply   
Since the original poster is obviously a troll, maybe you guys can help me out...Just bought a 2011 _________ VLX. Man this thing has been a nightmare since I bought it.

1). The steering wheel came off in my hand when I was in the middle of driving the double up.
2). The tower fell off the other day.
3). It sank yesterday.

Any suggestions???
Old     (NoahSS)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-07-2011, 9:59 PM Reply   
Just gonna throw this out there since Im a college student and this guy said he was on a college team.

I would probably guess he is dealing with final exams and probably not spending a lot of time browsing the net...Might be why he hasnt responded! Just a thought, because that list was pretty detailed for someone to be trolling
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       05-08-2011, 8:15 PM Reply   
Nice one Jeremy ha. Got a laugh out of me