Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (sscott0203)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-11-2008, 5:12 PM Reply   
I need some help picking out some audio stuff and how to make everything work. My setup so far is:
kenwood KDC-232MR cd player(Same as 07 Mobius LSV)
1 pair of Wetsounds Pro 80's

ya i know its not much so far. For cabin speakers i planned on going with polk audio db651.

What i want to be able to do is use my ipod,(headunit doesnt have aux in) i want to be able to shut my cabin speakers off if i have the tower speakers all the way up.

Also looking for an amp to power my tower speakers,and possibly my cabin speakers but i dont want to go crazy on expensive amps. Thanks in advance
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-11-2008, 7:00 PM Reply   
sony stuff from walmart has worked well fo us so far, its cheap too
Old     (sscott0203)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-11-2008, 7:28 PM Reply   
anyone...

Thanks Nick but ill pass on that.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-11-2008, 8:21 PM Reply   
Here's what you need:

- Wet Sounds EQ - This is like having two EQs (or go with 2 EQs if you want) so you can control the tower and in boat speakers independently. There's usually an AUX RCA pair in an EQ, and you can use your iPod there with a simple RCA-->1/8" headphone cable.

- Massive Audio 400.4 for your Wet Sounds - you'll get 200 watts to each Pro80 and they will scream).

- Any other 200/4 Class AB amp to run your in boat speakers, since 6.5" speakers are typically 50-60 watts RMS. If you don't amp your in boat speakers, your WetSounds will dominate the boat and you won't have a balanced sound. Trust me, you won't like it.

Good luck.
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-11-2008, 8:28 PM Reply   
Your wetsounds will dominate ANY interior speaker on the market, so trying to balance them seems like a foolish venture to me.

A much cheaper way to control the tower speakers independently is to use an LC-1. It is a separate controller that installs on the RCA cable. I have them for the sub, tower and interior speakers and they are terrific.

If you have $400, then go for the wetsounds EQ, it is the real deal.
Old     (uofamox)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-11-2008, 8:58 PM Reply   
David's has some great points. Since you are going to get rid of your CD player just go with the WS420 unless you actually still listen to the radio or CDs. I am pulling out my sony POS and putting in the Wetsounds 420. My ipod will be directly wired in.

Talltigeguy solution also works but dont forget the WS420 is also a 12 volt line driver for your amps and has the PA.

I was looking at the new Alpine with fulspeed ipod but WS420 is the way I am going....lots more control and tweaking.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-12-2008, 7:43 AM Reply   
I would just like to suggest that you do not use your iPod headphone (mini) jack as an output into a headunit/eq. There are several docking solutions available for the ipod now such as the simple Peripheral PXOD or the fancy HK drive+play system. Using the dock connector provides a fixed volume line-out and will provide much better sound quality over the headphone jack.
Old     (bkoz)      Join Date: Dec 2005       02-12-2008, 12:03 PM Reply   
This will work to control all of your amp volumes and allow you to plug you ipod in directly.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/CLARION-EQS746-7-BAND-ROTARY-GRAPHIC-EQUALIZER-EQ-2007_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ38643QQihZ011QQite mZ320216244137QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
Old     (talltigeguy)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-12-2008, 12:13 PM Reply   
My headphone jack on the ipod sounds as good as any of my CD's.

That Clarion unit might be the ticket for someone on a budget.
Old     (tparider)      Join Date: Aug 2003       02-12-2008, 12:28 PM Reply   
I have that Clarion EQ along with another (different) Clarion EQ and they work great.

My iPod headphone connection works great too. Although I've never heard the difference in using the dock connector.

Is there such a thing as a dock connector-->RCA cable?
Old     (sscott0203)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-12-2008, 3:51 PM Reply   
Massive Audio 400.4- I have heard of the company, but are they any good. I like the price of them but don't know much about them. I also looking to buy an amp for my cabin speakers so i would like to go with the same company. So anyone have any good feedback for these amp's?

I really don't want to spend 400 on the wetsounds eq, plus i do still plan on listening to cd's and the radio. So the Clarion Looks like it would be my best bet.

I confused a little on how this would get hooked up though. Headunit i would run 1 set of rca's to the eq. From the eq i would run set of rca's of one of the outputs to cabin speaker amp. One set of rca's from output of eq to input of tower speaker amp. Then if i run a sub, output of eq rca's to input of amp. For the ipod i would just run to aux input of eq and then does the eq just send the signal from the ipod to all my speaker's?

Last question If i am running 3 amps tower,cabin,and a 10in sub. Will i be able to get away with just my stock battery and alternator?
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-12-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
Wouldn't you just hook everything (all speakers) to the EQ then run the EQ to the head unit?
Old     (sscott0203)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-12-2008, 6:47 PM Reply   
Also another question. If i have an amp on my tower and cabin speakers, one eq will not do it for me right. I will not be able to shut cabin speakers off and leave tower speakers all the way up
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       02-12-2008, 8:30 PM Reply   
I'm able to use my Kenwood to power and control my Ipod via a midi cable made for them. I also run the cabin speakers to the front and the tower speakers to the rear so that solves the problem of control as far as I'm concerned. This allows me to fade as needed I can still have the cabin speakers on at say 25% and the towers full. To control my sub I simply use a bass knob.
Old     (bremsen)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-13-2008, 6:27 AM Reply   
Using the headphone jack is like hooking up an amplifier with speaker-level inputs. You'll get better SQ with an unadulterated line-level input.