Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Trick Tips

Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-28-2005, 7:04 PM Reply   
I have been boarding for about 3 months. I am still having trouble with my height on jumps. This is a video of last summer. Can anyone help me figure out what I am doing wrong? Last year I rode behind a I/O Glaston 20 ft. Rope length is at about 65ft and the boat has a tower. I am roughly 5'11". Any assistance would be great.

Mike

http://www.wakepics.com/view_single.php?medid=13834
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       02-28-2005, 7:19 PM Reply   
First, how fast are you going?
Second, are you backing off your cut before the wake?
Third, you need to jump more. Just slam your feet on the top of the wake. It looked like you're just lifting up your knees.
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-28-2005, 7:23 PM Reply   
Lloyd,

Thanks for the reply. I am going right at 20 miles an hour. I don't really know if I am backing off my cut before the wake, I was hoping the video would be able to show if I was and you guys could tell me.

When you say "Slam" my feet on the top of the wake, do you mean "Push" the board down into the water like I am trying to sink the board at the top of the wake?

Again, thanks for the reply, I really appreciate it.

Mike
Old     (nlitworld)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-01-2005, 12:15 AM Reply   
Mike

Yeah, when I said slam your feet, I mean push the board down and jump. The video did make it look like you were backing off of your cut early. I used to ride almost exactly like in that video, even down to the 180s. I've found if you hold your cut all the way up the wake and jump at the top of the wake, it will keep the line very tight and naturally pull you upwards with the rope. It might take a little getting used to idea of holding the cut and not jumping too late (that could cause you to nosedive. ouch!) Basically, practice makes perfect so just ride and have fun with it.

p.s. 20 mph is just fine.

(Message edited by nlitworld on March 01, 2005)
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       03-01-2005, 8:37 PM Reply   
Thanks for the help Lloyd!
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       03-11-2005, 2:14 PM Reply   
personally I thought you were riding fine compared to the speed you were going.I know you said you were going 20mph which is fine but seemed to me like you were going 30mph.

I noticed lately that it's how tall you stand up is how high you are gonna go.Definetly need a progressive cut at the wake!
Old     (ridn9high)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-14-2005, 12:39 AM Reply   
It's hard to tell by just that short vid. Progressive through the wake, keep handle at hip and don't absorb wake with knees. At the top of the wake(like already said) stand tall.

Also if you are ever up in the Dallas area or S. Oklahoma let me know. Will be more then happy to take you out for a pull or 2 and help you help. Just shoot me an email if you will be around that area.
Old     (stevegattuso)      Join Date: Mar 2005       03-16-2005, 10:27 AM Reply   
mike,
i tried watching the video but my computer wouldnt play it...anyways, Is the wake washy where you are hitting it? i/o's introduce alot of air bubbles into the wake which make is soft and mushy- so when you hit the wake you basically just crush it and you dont get as much air. the wake is usually alot harder closer to the boat...so try shortening your line. also try experimenting with different trim settings to see if you can get rid of white wash or possibly make the wake a little bigger. one other thing that can be limiting your air is your board. Surface area provides lift, and if you are riding too small of a board will definately limit you. one last thing is the rocker of the board. if youre board has a continuous rocker, you dont get the pop of a board with a 3 stage.

when your coming into the wake keep the handle in by your lead hip keep your knees bent. make an aggressive cut to the wake. about 5 feet out side of the wake let off your ege a LITTLE bit. if you stay real hard on edge ull slice through the wake. keep your knees bent. when you hit the wake dont EXPLODE off of the wake. just extend your legs from the bent position. and remeber to keep the handle in your lead hip the whole time.

i hope i help you out a little

steve gattuso
End of the Line wakeboard school
Old     (ponyh8r)      Join Date: Dec 2004       04-05-2005, 8:38 PM Reply   
Thank you very much steve.

I took a lesson last week with Gabe Lucas at the Texas ski ranch. He basically told me exactly what you just typed and it helped out a whole bunch. Now to tackle some 180's,3's, and inverts!

Thanks again for the advice.
Old                04-19-2005, 9:30 PM Reply   
What it looked like to me is that youre letting off in the trough right before the wake. Think of it like a pendulem. You want to keep your shoulders open to the boat, as you cut in start off light then cut harder as you get closer to the wake(progressive edge), the hardest at take off. Keep your legs stiff riding up the wake to get pop rather than ollieing at the top(its a habit skaters like me have). Load the hell out of your heel edge and it will catapult you out to the flats. Same for TS LOAD THE LINE. Do this and become a rockstar.
Old     (cool_dude)      Join Date: May 2004       05-15-2005, 12:06 PM Reply   
I'm not sure what to say, but I like what your sayhing on that thread against bush.
Old                06-28-2005, 9:56 PM Reply   
yea listen to what they said. All i have to say is that this isnt slalom skiing. Slow the boat down. i have an I/O and i never go by the speedometer cause they are usually wrong on i/os. go by the tac. Its hard to get a good progressive cut when going that fast. i could be wrong its just looked that way from the vid
Old                06-29-2005, 9:13 PM Reply   
well i go slow and hav a progressive cut and everything but whenever i cut for the wake the rope always slacks and i get jerked while im heading for the wake. could someone please help!?!?!

o and about rope legth I have it short but as u get better do u make it longer ? and why do u make it longer?

could someone please awsner all my questions lol
thx
Old                06-30-2005, 1:23 AM Reply   
Tom,
you need to let the boat pull you back onto your edge, then lock in your edging position. if you are making an aggressive switch to your edge while you are in the flats it will cause the rope to have some slack.