Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old    surfdad            06-01-2007, 7:43 PM Reply   
I swear it seems like just yesterday that I ordered my custom Fat Sac from the folks at Barefoot International. It arrived today, long before I have my actual pump system figured out.

This is the Fat Sac out of the shipping box.

Upload
Old    surfdad            06-01-2007, 7:49 PM Reply   
There are a few folds in the picture above, but you can see the "step". On my '03 Tige 23V the starboard side aka darkside has a short length up from the rear locker, it measures only 24 inches in length. Compared to my port side which is open under the bench seat from the rear locker up to the observers seat.

The step in the picture above, will fit into the space in front of the rear locker on the darkside.

This is what the fat sac looks like in the darkside locker.

Upload
Old    surfdad            06-01-2007, 7:58 PM Reply   
Since I don't have my pump situation figured out yet, I have attached two quick disconnect fittings to the two ports that I ordered with my fat sac.

I intend to use a reversible positive displacement pump in my system, so I only needed two ports on my fat sac and they are both on the top of the tallest part of the bag.

The port at the back of the fat sac will be the fill/empty port that connects to my pump. The port at the front of the fat sac will be the vent. I placed the vent here, because when my fat sac fills, the rear of the boat sinks, causing air to travel to the highest part of the fat sac, which is the forward most part of the tallest part of the bag. That port will be connected to a thru hull overflow.

As I mentioned earlier, I don't have my pump system figured out yet, so for the time being, I have attached a few spare parts to the fill empty line that connects to the lake or water source.

One part is the hose barb for 1" id tubing, the other is a quick disconnect that attaches to female end of the quick disconnect fitting on my fat sac. These are the parts before I connected them.

Upload
Old    surfdad            06-01-2007, 8:07 PM Reply   
The hose would normally connect to a thru hull/sea cock below the waterline, now has the two fittings pictured above. Typically we fill the darkside fat sac(s) first and then when we are done surfing the darkside, we empty the darkside and fill the port side.

I believe I will get a two pump remote control system from make-a-wake. Until then, I will fill the darkside with a tsunami pump, OR if the port side is full, I will connect the hose described above to the darkside using the quick disconnect fitting.

If I am transferring from the darkside to the port side, I will connect this fill hose to the darkside fat sac and it will empty the darkside fat sac while filing the port side fat sac.

Again, until I get the pump situation in place, when I just want to fill the port side and the darkside is empty, I will toss the hose and quick disconnect over the side and fill from the lake.

A picture showing how I will connect to the darkside fat sac.

Upload
Old    surfdad            06-01-2007, 8:12 PM Reply   
As folks start to improve their skills, one of the first things that people can learn to improve their skill set is riding backside. Also, a signficant number of my crew now includes goofy folks :-) Not all boats throw a decent darkside wake, but fortunately my Tige does. I can see that a quick and easy system that allows filling and emptying two large surf fat sac's will be a welcome addition to serious surffolks. I like that term: surffolks. :-)
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-01-2007, 9:28 PM Reply   
Jeff,
Wow that looks like fun times are ahead. Us "goofy folks" appreciate the effort that you have put into our enjoyment. Would we now be goofy surffolks? Can't wait till Sunday. Will this sack full weigh more than the old system?
Old    surfdad            06-02-2007, 6:13 AM Reply   
Hey Dennis,

Goofy surffolks or "just plain goofy" :-) The old combination of the two bags had a theroretical maximum weight of 900 pounds, This fat sac has a theoretical maximum of 1,136 pounds.

My guess is that we never got the full theoretical maximum and we won't with the custom fat sac either, but we will get MORE weight than before.
Old    surfdad            06-02-2007, 8:49 PM Reply   
Hey Dennis - just the sac, me driving and Judy under the bimini. It'll be sweet with you in the darkside rear corner. :-)

Upload
Old    surfdad            06-03-2007, 6:28 PM Reply   
All filled up. I still have all my seats available and there is nothing in the cockpit area but people ballast. PLUS, my port side wake is a little nicer and I can get either side like this in 15 minutes.

The folks at Fat Sac do a great job, fast and IMO the sac's they make are the best. I've wasted money on cheap alternatives, nothing beats a custom Fat Sac for wake shaping, durability, quality of the final product and timeliness of delivery.

Upload
Upload
Upload
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-03-2007, 7:05 PM Reply   
What's in the top left of two of those pictures?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-03-2007, 7:28 PM Reply   
Ed,
You have something against my hat?
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-03-2007, 7:51 PM Reply   
Oh, that would explain why it's not in the frame while you’re surfing. I thought maybe you had another boat running side by side taking pictures and your hat was a Bimi top.
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-03-2007, 8:24 PM Reply   
Wow Ed,
I've been told I'm big enough to eat hay and pull a wagon, But my hat looks like a bimini top. Please
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-03-2007, 8:28 PM Reply   
Come on, only your hat is in the first picture, and just a scant fraction of your glasses near the hat and your arm at the bottom of the frame. On top of that your not wearing your hat when your surfing, how could I possibly know?
Old     (dennish)      Join Date: May 2005       06-03-2007, 9:18 PM Reply   
Just ask the question: What's in the top left of two of those pictures? And you have the answer with a little extra thrown in. How's you quest for a 3 going. I almost got one today. Maybe next week.
Old     (bigshow)      Join Date: Feb 2005       06-04-2007, 4:56 AM Reply   
Still no 3, seems like I've been close for a while.