Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 23, 2004

Old     (bond)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-15-2004, 3:48 PM Reply   

..I have sold my VLX and looking hard at the LSV, Has anyone out there gone up to the bigger boat and what are your thoughts.

Thanks,

Mike
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-15-2004, 4:13 PM Reply   
I am getting the new VLX. But the LSV is awwwsome. It is just too big for me.
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-15-2004, 4:18 PM Reply   
vlx = super nice, clean, (kinda) steep, solid wake. small interior compared to lsv, but still roomy.

lsv = clean, super rampy wake. need a shiatload more weight to get it even close to vlx wake. big ass interior.
Old     (tommyc)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-15-2004, 4:25 PM Reply   
Joe, the new VLX interior is almost as big as the LSV. The boat is 6" longer, 6" wider and the engine box was shortened by 6". You can hardly tell the dif.
Old     (buzz_grande)      Join Date: Mar 2004       09-16-2004, 3:28 AM Reply   
I have been tossing between the same two. After seeing the new 05 VLX, I have decided it has enough interior room for my regular crew. Unless you are taking 8-10 persons, the VLX would be much better, and take less weight to get a hot wake. The 05 VLX is a nice change from the 04 as far as interior space. Like I have always said, 6 inches can really surprise you!
Old     (buffalow)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-16-2004, 8:19 AM Reply   
I have been told by guys like Ricky G and Darin S. that the LSV is the boat to have. All of the pros weight their boats, so they are compareable in terms of what they use for weight. I personally am wanting the LSV. If you can deal with the bigger boat, the pros say it is hands down the best boat on the market.
Old    cdubs            09-16-2004, 12:02 PM Reply   
Ive ridden behind Ricky's new lsv a bunch and once you ride that boat with like 6000 lbs you dont really want to ride behind a normal wakeboard boat anymore. Plus just the normal double ups without even throwing triple ups are all shoulder high. but then again the new vlx sounds pretty sick too with the new hull shape.
Old     (antbug)      Join Date: Jul 2004       09-16-2004, 12:11 PM Reply   
6000lbs that's just SICK.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-16-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
I have an 03 VLX and a friend of mine has an 03 LSV. He is now looking at buying a new VLX. he only reason I would choosed the LSV over the VLX is if room in the actual boat is your number 1 priority. Not sure on the 05 models, but no amount of weight in his LSV will make a wake like our VLX. The LSV is longer which makes it harder to put out a wake. In my opinion I would stick with the vlx. To my understanding the new 05 will be a little bit wider and longer anyways.
Old     (hyperlitenrd)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-16-2004, 2:56 PM Reply   
I heard all the ballast tanks are under the floor in the 05s even in the back. We got the LSV b/c the extra room is awsome, 14 people with room to spare, then ballast, thats an awsome wake, the only problem is when all 14 people want to ride...
Old     (garyw)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-16-2004, 5:56 PM Reply   
The 05 VLX is 21'6" about 1 foot longer than the 04, not sure on the width. All 4 of the ballast tanks are built in, 3 under the floor and the 4th in between the front seats. the boat has a lot of the lsv features in the way that it is laid out on the inside. The hammerhead engine has gone from 380hp to 415hp. Malibu is still making the 20'6" boat (in 05 its the vride, in 04 it was the vlx) There are some changes in the dashboard. Its built into the display, but you can tell the capacities in the ballast tanks. Those are the major changes that I can think of off the top of my head. THE BOAT IS AWESOME.
Old    cdubs            09-16-2004, 7:24 PM Reply   
Hey Ryan the new lsv is totally different then the previous 23 footer. Basically i guess its like a big vlx hull. Anyway though i ride a normal vlx fully loaded and the wake size isnt that big at all anymore. Either way around the wake is huge on the new lsv and if you wanna use the wedge, it gets even bigger and not to lippy. We use the wedge. Putting gas in that boat sux though. if i remember correctly the last time we rode we got like ten rides to a full tank and that tank holds alot of gas.
Old     (jnewcom)      Join Date: Mar 2003       09-16-2004, 9:42 PM Reply   
I understand that it might be different. So is it shorter than it used to be? I still think that the VLX would have a bigger wake. I would like to hear from someone who has been on both of the new boats. Even if it is 1 to two feet longer it still makes a big difference. This first picture is my 03 VLX with 5 people, ballast, wedge and a 400# sack. The last picture is my friends LSV with 8 people, wedge, and the same ballast minus the sack. I think that its a pretty big difference. The new ones might be different but even if its a little longer it can make a difference on the wake,.

Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       09-18-2004, 6:57 AM Reply   
ive ridden both and most here are correct the VLX while a smaller boat has the best wake IMO its real vert and hard pops like a mother...Ryan that wake is sick one of my favorites...

Im more into that type of wake
On the flip side the LSV has a rampy wake ,it is hard and big but you have to woprk harder on your pop then on the VLX...
Old    cdubs            09-18-2004, 10:09 AM Reply   
Yeah guys since the lsv is a bigger boat you need alot more weight to sink it down in the water so unless you weight it super heavy the vlx is obviously going to sink easier and throw a bigger wake. I run a vlx with 4000 lbs that takes a quarter mile just to get to speed and his boat made my wake honestly not feel so big anymore. And for sure you need the big engine cuz Jerry Nunn got his without the big engine and you cant run enough weight to sink the boat and still make it to speed. But for sure the lsv is the boat the malibu team wants thier hands on. Ricky said Shapiro is going nuts over the lsv also. The advantages me and Ricky G notcied is the wake is alot bigger but alittle more rampy so you have to wait alittle longer on your pop off the wake. His wake is also like 5 feet wider than mine which is awesome so you can go alittle bigger on certain tricks yet still get the downside if you want it. Plus since the wake is just like a king size version of the vlx we can ride 90 ft lines now instead of 85 so its even more of a floaty feeling on tricks. Lately on Ricks boat the wedge has been down and heres how we weight it. Wedge, stock ballast, 500 lb sack on the rear seat going across, 500 lb sack on the floor right below the seat one, 500 lb sack in front of that then in the bow 2 more 500 lb sacks plus usually like 5-7 people. thats how it gets weight when the wedge is down and if the wedge is not down just add another 1000 lbs of lead. trust me the wake is so good like that. oh and hes got probably another 500 lbs of audiobahn sterio equipment they threw in there for him.
Old    angels5            09-18-2004, 7:59 PM Reply   
I'd decided on a 05 VLX, then saw some of the pricing on the 04 LSV and the fact they appear to have the same hull. Pros/Cons of getting a 04 LSV vs the 05 VLX.
Old     (wakehype)      Join Date: Dec 2002       09-18-2004, 10:04 PM Reply   
Right on -- you can't go wrong with either boats.

I love my VLX.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       09-20-2004, 6:04 AM Reply   
Hey Mike,

Jeff and I demoed the 04 LSV with the new hull about six months ago. Although it didn't have the exact wake that the VLX has, it is a vast improvement over the old LSV hull. The wake is a little less vert and I had to ride five feet shorter to land comfortable on the transition due to the width. The boat is huge inside and really comfortable.