Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through July 28, 2004

Old    lforcerider            07-16-2004, 3:38 PM Reply   
I am 6 feet tall and 165 pounds. I ride a trip 33.5 and was wondering if that is too small and if i should step it up to a 138 or so. I am comfortable with this board and just landed my first invert on it. Will a bigger board limit manueverability in the air or would it make no difference? Would I get more pop off the wake with a bigger board? Any opinions would help out.
Old    jonnyrotten79            07-16-2004, 4:29 PM Reply   
My cousin weighs 140 and has a trip 33.5 also same exact board as u do and hes moving to a 138 but thats just him maybe u can go to a dealer and test a board out or one of ur buddies to see wat u prefer alright hope i was somewhat helpful bye!
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2004, 5:32 PM Reply   
You likely would get less pop with a bigger board (the physics behind this assertion have been discussed on previous posts); however, a bigger board will land softer. In general, a smaller board will spin and flip more easily, but a bigger board will give you more stability to pull out sketchy landings. If you are happy with what you've got, then I would advise not paying money for something different unless you have a chance to demo first.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-16-2004, 5:48 PM Reply   
Bigger board gives you more pop so long as the bigger board is still in your weight/height range.... it definently lands a ton softer and will be easier to ride because you will stay on plane easier with more surface area underneath your 165 pounds. I weight 142 and am 5'9".. I ride a TFD 136 but switched to the Trip 133.. I wish the Trip came in 135/136 because I still want the bigger board, I just can't step all the way up to a 138 though. I can't think of anything negetive about a 165 pound person thats 6 feet tall stepping up to a 138 from a small 133.... Just give it a try, its all preference.
Old     (dococ)      Join Date: Mar 2002       07-16-2004, 7:43 PM Reply   
Paul, I respect your opinion, but that has not been my experience. I ride a Byerly 142, and when I tried the 137, I was getting more boost and a more abrupt pop with the same cut, I believe because the deck was sunk in a bit deeper as I approached the transition (BTW, I'm 5'10" 165 lbs, with tired old knees). Couldn't take the harder landings, though, so stuck with the 142. In past discussions, others have described similar experiences. Maybe we are both right... maybe it depends on a rider's style and the particulars of a certain board. I agree with you that it is all personal preference. That's why I recommended that he demo, it's the only way to be sure. Peace.
Old     (wakeriderixi)      Join Date: Jan 2004       07-16-2004, 8:14 PM Reply   
Yea you may be right... but with this guy... 133/139 are way different....... for his weight/height I think the 139 will be much better. I went back to a 133 from a 136 and love it so much better now, landings suck though...