Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 15, 2005

Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       01-31-2005, 10:05 PM Reply   
I had talked to my dealer about a fusion 6-light bar, but he said it will be another few months. Anyway that got me looking and I saw the mako sid mount lights. Are there any benefits to these? Also are there any other lights that are better?
Old     (huski444)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-01-2005, 1:24 PM Reply   
I PUT THE MAKO 6-LIGHT BAR ON MY MC X2 AND REALLY LIKE THESE LIGHTS. IT'S A REAL GOOD QUALITY PRODUCT, SOLIDLY BUILT AND I HAD GOOD RESPONSE FROM MAKO THEMSELVES WHEN I HAD INSTALLATION QUESTIONS. I KNOW I WOULD GO WITH THESE IN THE FUTURE. IT'S REAL EASY TO ADJUST THE LIGHTS FOR YOUR SPECIFIC PREFERENCE TOO.
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-01-2005, 3:23 PM Reply   
Duane and us are both adding lights to our line. There are some low budget light bars on eBay. I saw the wake designs light, smaller but it was really nice looking. Check out www.wakeboat.com, the have a bunch of different lights as well.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-01-2005, 3:49 PM Reply   
Mike,
How are the makos wired and can you face them all back? Also, Have you surfed or docked with them how do they work? I am thinking about maybe the side mount ones instead of the 6 bar, but worry they will not project the light the way i would want.

Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-01-2005, 8:14 PM Reply   
Bill,
Why did you choose the piaa lights over the other styles and will you have any bars or just individual lights?
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-01-2005, 9:32 PM Reply   
We have been using Pilot Automotive for our single lights where each light has it’s own clamp. We are going direct on lights now and getting ready to roll out several “configurable” light bars early next month. Should have all the parts in early next week and still need to figure out the assembly details.

Technically (IMHO) all lights are created equal; basically they’re an outer case, a reflective surface, a light socket, a bulb and a clear or tinted cover. The bulbs are what rate a light (and nearly all have 55W Halogens), the rest has little impact on lumens. Plus, light bars are great for docking, arguably good for wakesurfing, and that’s about it. OH, And they look sweet!

Outside of going with the new HID $1000 lighting systems, if your doing a DIY project, get the best deal you can on a outer case you like the look of, and has a 55W Halogen bulb.

Sorry if I pissed anyone from a lighting company off, please correct me as I could be wrong but I don’t understand a $100 pair of driving lights.

Lastly, buy lights or a light bar based on how it looks more than anything else. If they have the same number of lights, they will do about the same. Advantage Titan, they use some pretty big light cases and the larger reflective surface can aim the light better, I think.

Rant Complete! That's my opinion, I officially know enough about lights to be quite dangerous now.

Naturally, I could be wrong.
Old     (wkerat)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-02-2005, 1:10 PM Reply   
Does anyone know what benefit the side lights bring you? I can't drop any down off the top of the tower because I have a speaker box so I need either top mounts, a bar on the back of the tower (parallel to the back bar on the tower) or on the side. I like the looks of mako's side lights and am thinking they may work on the top of the tower if needed as well.

Bill,
How do you plan on having your lights configurable?
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-03-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
Give me a few weeks to get the final parts in and put some together as a picture would help a ton. Basically we are using an extrusion with offset bracket rails that let the lights face front or back and stay centered under the main tube. Basically we can cut the extrusion to any length and add lights anywhere along the tube. Not that huge a deal, but if wanted you could easy change the light from front to rear facing without changing the look of the light bar. Confused yet?