Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-08-2012, 5:41 PM Reply   
I have noticed that more and more riders are bringing Osmosis spins back into the game and that is awesome. I have always liked the look and envied the skill of osmosis spins.. Now my question is.. Is anyone doing orbital spins any more.. I don't think I have ever seen one done besides Shapiro and I think it would be cool to bring orbitals back out... Thoughts??
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-09-2012, 6:51 AM Reply   
I'm pretty sure Shapiro was the only one who could do orbitals....
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-09-2012, 8:14 AM Reply   
I think orbitals should come back because they can actually be very stylish tricks. Sure they're extremely difficult, but when done properly they're silky smooth. Check out the orbital 540 Darin does @ 2:49 of this legendary video:

Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-09-2012, 9:20 AM Reply   
I LOVE ORBITALS!!!! I have been trying to get someone to do them for years. I have never seen anyone since the SCUD do them. A few years back I was asking on wakeworld if anyone is doing them. So I decided to try them myself for about a week. HOLY difficlut! I would get over the rope and get stalled out and totally stuck. I would love to see this trick come back.

I would also LOVE to see someone start doing HS Frontfilps to Blind like Shapiro! That is like my favorite trick of all time, SO difficult.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-09-2012, 9:26 AM Reply   
Front flip to Blind

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4CQ05NB-sE
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-09-2012, 6:08 PM Reply   
Vandall still does front to blinds doesn't he?! I think more boarders should try.. If i wasn't almost strictly a cable rider I would give it a shot but not with the line in the air like that.. I figured Dirty Mike or Harley could probably figure it out... Would LOVE to see them come back..
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-10-2012, 5:06 AM Reply   
Mitch Langfield does a dirty stale front to blind.
Old     (DatTexasBoy)      Join Date: Aug 2012       11-10-2012, 5:49 AM Reply   
Yeah, I thought Vandall went big. This guy is sick.
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-10-2012, 7:31 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
Vandall does go big.. but nobody went bigger than Shapiro. Sad that he's sitting in prison now.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-10-2012, 7:42 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by DatTexasBoy View Post
This comment makes me sad for our sport. did you seriously not know who Shapiro is or was?
Old     (westsidarider)      Join Date: Feb 2003       11-10-2012, 9:28 AM Reply   
^your mistaken Andy. It's making you sad how old you are. Lol. The sport has finally reached an age at which noobs are coming in and don't know much history. Go ask some of the young skater kids if they know who Rodney Mullen is. Or daewon song. Guarantee most will have no clue who those guys are
Old     (King12)      Join Date: Jul 2012       11-10-2012, 2:16 PM Reply   
I didnt know who Shapiro was until about a week ago, it was unfortunate, but I mean im new to the sport and theres just know way I can learn everything immediately, unfortunately I wasn't around when these guys were throwing down, I came in with Harley and Raph being the big stars, however, through research and looking around on wakeworld, vimeo and youtube video's and finding more and more riders I had never heard about its really impressing me the different styles that around today, and the advancements being made. The dude was insane, as were orbitals and osmosis spins, i think osmosis spins are to me some of the most entertaining tricks to watch.

If only my college offered wake classes LOL
Old     (MrShelley)      Join Date: Apr 2012       11-10-2012, 3:18 PM Reply   
Watch the Shapiro segment in Switch 22 if you want to learn what big is.
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-10-2012, 3:41 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by andy_nintzel View Post
This comment makes me sad for our sport. did you seriously not know who Shapiro is or was?
Andy, I felt the EXACT same way after reading that
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       11-11-2012, 12:22 AM Reply   
cant start a thread like this without mentioning Shapiro or this vid
matt sims 009
Old     (Readyaimfire)      Join Date: Jun 2012       11-11-2012, 1:42 AM Reply   
I went to his camp back in 2000 when it first opened and Travis Moyer was running it with him. Stayed at his house for a week and watched him ride every day. If You think he goes big on video, try watching from the boat. It's insane how he can pass the handle with all that line tension. Still think Randall wins because of his ability to mix insane style with huge airs, but Darin deserves more credit than he gets.
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-11-2012, 5:04 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by biggator View Post
Sad that he's sitting in prison now.
You got a source on that, buddy? What's his sentence and when does he start?
Old     (bboozer)      Join Date: Apr 2007       11-11-2012, 6:53 AM Reply   
i always loved his riding. And the amazing thing, for those that are too young and don't remember, is the stuff he used to do in the beginning on a directional board with sandal bindings (look those up if you are too young) behind a tournament ski boat with a regular pilon (before extended pilons and then towers) and i don't even know if they had added weight back then. In tournaments, there was Darren and then everyone else no one was close to him....
Old     (biggator)      Join Date: Jul 2010       11-11-2012, 7:19 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHebrewHammer View Post
You got a source on that, buddy? What's his sentence and when does he start?
He and his family got busted for running a pill mill. Google is your friend.

http://thegardenisland.com/news/loca...871e3ce6c.html
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-11-2012, 7:34 AM Reply   
Too much skill. I love seeing tricks like orbitals that nobody seems to do anymore. My favorite one though has to be a slurpee...I've always wanted to try one but have never built up the courage. Has anyone here tried any of these older tricks? orbitals/osmosis/slurpees/6pack? what's a front flip with a backside 3 called? is that a fat chance?
Old     (TheHebrewHammer)      Join Date: Jun 2011       11-11-2012, 7:49 AM Reply   
Nah Vin, a fat chance is a switch slim chance, or a front flip with a frontside 3. A front flip with a backside 3 is called a front blind mobe. They're rarely done. A real treat to see!

Other than the blind pete, I think the front blind mobe is the only mobe that hasn't been taken to 540!
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-11-2012, 4:14 PM Reply   
I think Gabe Lucas does front blind mobes... In Drive if I'm not mistaken.. Zane Schwenk is still dropping slurpees.. I actually think he is the only person to do them.. So.. CALLING ALL PROS!!! BRING BACK THE ORBITAL!!!
Old     (Mikhale)      Join Date: Dec 2011       11-11-2012, 4:42 PM Reply   
dave brisco can still bust out a slurpee
Old     (jrich)      Join Date: Oct 2009       11-11-2012, 7:57 PM Reply   
Dean lavelle can throw a nice slurpee too. Seems like the old school riders were way more creative when it came to inventing new tricks. These days it's all ab doin an extra 180 or grab. Also I have been wondering lately if anyone has ever done a tantrum to fs 3? Seems like it would be possible but never seen it done before..
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-11-2012, 10:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich View Post
Dean lavelle can throw a nice slurpee too. Seems like the old school riders were way more creative when it came to inventing new tricks. These days it's all ab doin an extra 180 or grab. Also I have been wondering lately if anyone has ever done a tantrum to fs 3? Seems like it would be possible but never seen it done before..
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZ7fioadh_g

Tantrum to Front 3... first trick.. this was also right when bob started trying the Trifecta
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-11-2012, 10:40 PM Reply   
He called the Tantrum to Front 3 the Billion Dollar Baby.. Someone else had claimed to already had done it but idk if the footage ever surfaced
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-12-2012, 5:06 AM Reply   
^ That tantrum fs3 was dirrrrrrty!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-12-2012, 7:17 AM Reply   
All these tricks are sick and edits are fun to watch but just look and feel so hucked...
I'd much rather ride like/watch trev-mo, twelker, Trask, the ennens, than some of these. The tricks themselves drop your jaw but everything else feels rushed/thrown
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       11-12-2012, 7:36 AM Reply   
Nothing Shapiro did looked hucked, everything is pure power.
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       11-12-2012, 7:39 AM Reply   
Yes watching the Shapiro edit shows powerful riding with stomped trick. That comment is directed more towards Phil's tantrum fs 3.
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       11-12-2012, 8:39 AM Reply   
Well the tantrum fs 3 isn't 'smooth' because you are changing your body's tragectory mid flight. Also, wasn't it bob who did the tantrum mobe?
Old     (wakeviolater)      Join Date: Sep 2004       11-12-2012, 12:34 PM Reply   
back to the topic...orbitals, anyone?
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-12-2012, 3:55 PM Reply   
^^^^ YES!!!! WHERE ARE MY ORBITALS!!! AT LEAST SOMEONE WITH A BOAT TRY ONE AND POST IT.. I only ride cable and its too close to not possible with rope height.. If I had boat access.. I would try
Old     (JamesHawk101)      Join Date: Sep 2012       11-12-2012, 4:57 PM Reply   
Did anyone see Rathys Osmosis 720 I believe, in the Indmar trick of the year video?
Old     (waketx05)      Join Date: Feb 2008       11-12-2012, 5:26 PM Reply   
^^ Yes.. Super Gnarly!!! OOOOO new thought... BACKSIDE OSMOSIS?!?
Old     (greg_smith)      Join Date: Sep 2006       11-13-2012, 3:40 AM Reply   
What is that trick at 1:12 of the Shapiro video? He does some kind of air invert.
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-13-2012, 5:12 AM Reply   
it started out like a raley, legs out back, but then he went over the top and landed regular.....Soooo air front roll? lol
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       11-13-2012, 6:17 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by greg_smith View Post
What is that trick at 1:12 of the Shapiro video? He does some kind of air invert.
air front flip
Old     (VinnyA)      Join Date: Aug 2011       11-13-2012, 6:26 AM Reply   
Slurpee at 3:40 ^_^