Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old    ScottRobinson            05-08-2010, 7:43 AM Reply   
Hey I need help guys, got a 8 year old girl and 6 year old boy (along with a 4 and 2 year old too) so I have a boat full, and I want to teach the 8 and 6 to board this year. What boards should I look for? Can anyone help find a few for me to choose from that might work for both on EBAY? I would like to buy one used first and get them riding for a year before I buy them each their own. Thanks!!
Old    ScottRobinson            05-08-2010, 8:36 AM Reply   
I would take any suggestions? I can find them on Craigslist or ebay...just bindings and boards?
Old     (cccbuilders)      Join Date: Jun 2007       05-08-2010, 9:16 AM Reply   
I would go with an 09 Hyeprlite state 125. It is big enough for the 8 year old depending on weight and just big enough for the 6 year old depending on size. Just search it, and see what comes up. Good luck!
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-08-2010, 11:02 AM Reply   
I don't think you can go wrong with any board for learning. We started out 8 year old last year on a closeout Liquid Force board. The deciding factor in the brand decision was the price and of course that it was the right size. Look around for closeouts at you local dealer or from the online places. Get a package deal they are usually cheaper.
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-08-2010, 11:19 AM Reply   
The longer the board the harder it is to turn the board over if they are face first in the water. Hyperlite Motive 119's are a nice starter board. My son's first board was a O'brien Buzz 140 at 7, But I quickly found a juvi 131 for him & he's still riding it at 11.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-08-2010, 11:32 AM Reply   
So the shorter the better? They are 61 lbs and 43 lbs....so a 125 board? Hard thing is bindings too, getting something that they both can use may be impossible. 6 year old boy and 8 year old girls don't have same size feet. =) She wears a size 1- 2 and he is size 13...so...gonna be hard I think...any other HELP is appreciated. I like the Hyperlite State, but would love to find something with bindings and isn't $300..
Old     (otown_dave)      Join Date: Dec 2007       05-08-2010, 12:02 PM Reply   
You should be able to find a setup around $100 on Craigslist or pawnshops. My son's X-small Hype Belmont boots seem to fit every small kid that comes out with us & his foot is a size 4 .
The state 125 is good up 130 lbs

Last edited by otown_dave; 05-08-2010 at 12:08 PM. Reason: More info.
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       05-09-2010, 1:35 PM Reply   
My daughter is about 60 lbs and uses a 118. Liquid Force rates it to 85 lbs. Hopefully it will last her a couple more seasons. My wifes 125 Eden sitting next to the 118 seems too big for my daughter.
Old     (ferral)      Join Date: Sep 2007       05-12-2010, 10:47 PM Reply   
I picked up a CWB Charger 119 to teach my 6 year old niece this summer
Old     (mcvols)      Join Date: Aug 2009       05-13-2010, 12:00 PM Reply   
try overtons. Just saw a special on a liquid force 118 with bindings for $99.

http://www.overtons.com/modperl/prod...1&merchID=4006
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       05-13-2010, 12:06 PM Reply   
If they still make the mini squirt, go with that! its what i learned on!!!
Old     (2lilwakeboarders)      Join Date: Jun 2009       05-13-2010, 2:40 PM Reply   
Both my boys learned on a Hyperlite Motive 119. My youngest is 7 years old, 58lbs & wears a size 1 or 2 and is still riding the same board. His binding size is a mini. The 119 should be great for both your kids to learn on.
Old     (supratweaked)      Join Date: Aug 2005       05-13-2010, 6:28 PM Reply   
The CWB Charger is a great board for the young ones to learn and progress on. My youngest daughter went from the Motive to the Charger and liked it better her first set on it. The charger has a more defined molded fin than other boards of this size. It allows the young ones to learn without the center fin which can help develop bad habits andlead to improper edging to control the board. Both of my daughters could do one wake jumps and surface tricks on their first board before we removed the center fin. With the fin removed, they had a hard time even getting outside the wake. Many people now comment how fundamentally sound they are on the water.

Another advantage is CWB makes a larger board that is the same shape so when your little rippers are ready for a larger board, they can move up in size and still have the same feel.

The graphics are cool too. That's what all the cool kids tell me! That is except for Jason's kids who are super cool!
Old    ScottRobinson            05-14-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
Jay that is $199 and don't know if my son would want to rock the pink board. =) Thanks for all the help here. I am lookin at the 125 sizes but now I guess I should look even lower? 119? Binding size then should be mini. Thanks
Old     (NuBu)      Join Date: Apr 2010       05-14-2010, 9:30 AM Reply   
my son started on a CWB Surge 124 when he was 8 and probably weighed in the 50's . He got up on his first try and is still riding that board today at age 11. He is a small kid, weighs 70lbs now at 11 but he is very athletic. We got him some new Vapor bindings this year and he loves them and is doing great. i would recomend that board to anyone.
Old    ScottRobinson            05-14-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
Thanks Steve.... mine are 8 and 6 so this will be year one for both of them. Both very athletic so I think I should be able to get them up. Does anyone have a great video or something on how to help them get up? I was thinking of being in the water and showing them correct position then sorta as the boat leaves pushing the back of the board down and get them up on top of the water? thoughts on that too? would love to see a video on how to teach it.