Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through March 24, 2008

Old    kidrik            03-17-2008, 10:24 AM Reply   
So if you've got a 70' minimum rope, and someone wants to ride 60' or 65', what the quickest way (other than buy another rope) to shorten the rope for them? Best knot, or loop, etc.....?
Old     (chpthril)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-17-2008, 11:14 AM Reply   
Figure-eight on a byte, if you wanted to use a knot. It can be untied.
Old     (bcmach)      Join Date: Apr 2007       03-17-2008, 12:24 PM Reply   
Find where you want to shorten it to- Loop the rope around your thumb and let both ends hang down your palm - wrap both sides around your hand and back down your palm once - make a fist and slide the rope from the back of your hand over your knuckles - you now have a new tow loop - hook it around your tower and pull it tight. No knots, and as soon as you take it off it undoes itself. I always use this to shorten my coated line, learned this from Dave Briscoe.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-17-2008, 2:23 PM Reply   
That's a pretty sweet trick. My rope has 5 foot sections in it that are looped at both ends, so you can add or remove them depending on how long you want to go. It's an Accurate Apex Four Section rope/handle.

Survived really well so far, the handle is getting a bit sad (it has been dragged down the road before though) but after 3 seasons of everyone on the boat using it every pull it's not doing too bad at all.
Old     (jtnz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       03-17-2008, 2:24 PM Reply   
Haha, must learn to read the whole post... Sorry dude I missed the "I don't want a new rope" part.
Old     (snowboardcorey)      Join Date: Jan 2004       03-17-2008, 2:54 PM Reply   
What Brian said, I use this trick all the time and it works awesome.

I'm glad he knew how to explain it because I was drawing a blank, I know how to do it just not in text form.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       03-17-2008, 3:09 PM Reply   
When I needed less than a 5ft adjustment I just looped both ends of the rope around the next section, creating a 2.5ft extension, then lopping the open end on itself and giving me 77.5ft, 82.5ft, 87.5 feet etc. Anything more than that is just splitting hairs IMHO.
Old     (joe_crawley)      Join Date: Jan 2007       03-17-2008, 3:23 PM Reply   
I use a standard slipknot
Old     (big_matt)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-17-2008, 6:15 PM Reply   
Brian's idea will work and is easier to tie. TigeMike's idea will work and is easier to untie.
Old     (duffy)      Join Date: Feb 2006       03-17-2008, 7:42 PM Reply   
Run over it with your boat! Sorry it was there had to take it...
Old     (rallyart)      Join Date: Nov 2006       03-17-2008, 8:19 PM Reply   
If you are tying a knot and plan on removing it after use a bowline. The bowline has more crosses and fewer tight bends than any other. It can always be undone and is the least damaging to the rope.
The bowline is the knot you should use for any line you have that needs a loop on the end.
If your rope wont tighten to a knot because of it's coating use Brian's idea.
Old     (johnny_defacto)      Join Date: Sep 2006       03-17-2008, 9:17 PM Reply   
USAR and rescue systems do not teach the bowline knot anymore (atleast on the west coast) because of the tight bends that cause damage to the rope... they are now teaching ONLY the family of 8's (figure 8, fig 8 on a bite, fig 8 follow through, inline figure 8...) because of the strength, mellow turns causing less wear on the rope, and easy to tie and untie...

so if you cant figure out Briscoes method then learn the 8's (plus they are great for dock lines and tying off your boat)
Old    kidrik            03-17-2008, 9:18 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the responses.........I think next time out, I'll try Brian's method first and see how it goes.

Jos, no worries!
Old     (garman)      Join Date: Feb 2005       03-18-2008, 7:34 PM Reply   
I personally use the bowline for the quick loop and the ability to untie it easily. I think it is fine for these purposes and thousands of others. I haven't heard that about it not being taught by some rescue courses. However, if I'm attaching a rope to my carabiner, it'll be some type of 8! As far the 8's go... my favorite is the MR-8.