Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through November 07, 2006

Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-11-2006, 5:43 AM Reply   
the evolution of wakeboarding?
its called riverboardinghttp://www.bansheeriverboards.com/
you use the river current to stretch out a bungee cord, and then ride the board being pulled by the bungee cord
no boat
no gas
no fun?
Old     (gdillyfunk69)      Join Date: Nov 2003       09-11-2006, 5:52 AM Reply   
no
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-11-2006, 6:32 AM Reply   
I dont think so....
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       09-11-2006, 6:54 AM Reply   
Where do the tower speakers go?
Old     (howakeboartder)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-11-2006, 7:05 AM Reply   
No fun? Well if there is no fun then there is no wakeboarding.
Old     (drewdown)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-11-2006, 7:15 AM Reply   
Hahaha, please, where are the chicks in bikini's and the cooler filled with beer?
Old     (wakeboard19)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-11-2006, 9:36 AM Reply   
All that in a river i live right next. And town i live in and never heard of it. I have done it on a round ply wood with a rope. But never with a bungee.
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-11-2006, 12:54 PM Reply   
Uhhhhh.... What happens when you fall? Bye Bye board down the river? =(
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-11-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
here is the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4vk3i0ww0vk
no speakers
no chicks
no bikini
no cooler
no beer
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-11-2006, 12:56 PM Reply   
OK, nevermind I got the video to load but lets just say I dont see this taking off - LOL...
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-11-2006, 1:04 PM Reply   
Seems like a lot of waiting to get ready and not much payoff, I liked when he said huge air and the guy got about 2 inches of air of that kicker, I don't really see anything coming from this.
Old     (bear)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-11-2006, 2:05 PM Reply   
el stupido!
Old     (denverd1)      Join Date: May 2004 Location: Tyler       09-11-2006, 2:09 PM Reply   
i think running and throwing down a skate and riding it for 2 seconds would be more fun
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-11-2006, 2:11 PM Reply   
Pretty cool, but I would say it's more like skim boarding than wakeboarding.

PS...those guys need to build a real kicker instead of that little wussy thing.
Old     (bigpapaf1f)      Join Date: May 2005       09-11-2006, 2:23 PM Reply   
uuuuhhhhhh Sick Dude?!?!
Old     (just_board)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-11-2006, 2:56 PM Reply   
lame.
Old     (rodmcinnis)      Join Date: Sep 2002       09-11-2006, 2:57 PM Reply   
What do you suppose will happen if you stretch a bungee cord out 200 feet, and then let the handle slip out of your hands?????
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-11-2006, 3:09 PM Reply   
You would still look GAY, and you would be swimming a lot....
Old     (dreambig)      Join Date: Jul 2006       09-11-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
ALl in All it looks pretty cool and you have to give these guys credit for even thinking this up. i think the bungee should be like 5000 ft though. What happens when you fall drift down the river and your board rockets toward shore killing the hundreds of lookee loos. IMO if the river moves that fast the water is just way too cold. What if the bungee snaps at the tree or rock and is hurled in your direction at 1 billion mph. That might hurt a lil
Old     (ryansgt)      Join Date: Aug 2006       09-11-2006, 3:41 PM Reply   
i love how they say go big because water doesn't hurt on the diagram.
Old     (brad24)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-11-2006, 3:52 PM Reply   
now while this is actually pretty sweet (to screw around with for like an hour), think about the name "wakeboard" - what do you need. yes, a WAKE ladies and gentleman. So no, this idea will not turn into a sport, but its still pretty cool - ya have to give them credit for a good idea at least.
Old     (kristian)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-11-2006, 4:02 PM Reply   
so its pretty much just a slingshot.

Why does a wakeskate and a winch seem so much more appealing? hmmmmm.
Old     (brad63)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-11-2006, 4:47 PM Reply   
wow that is the stupidest thing i have ever seen looks so boring
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       09-11-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
but you can do BIG ollies
Old     (kid_a)      Join Date: Sep 2004       09-11-2006, 4:58 PM Reply   
doesn't going against current defeat the whole purpose of riding? i know they use it to get the bungee out but all that to go against current doesn't seem very appealing to me.
Old     (otiswunguy)      Join Date: Apr 2002       09-11-2006, 5:00 PM Reply   
Id like to have the sling to use with my wakeboard but it is a lot of effort unless you can slingshot forward and grab the rope again while you are drifting down current. It would be fun for hitting a slider i think. I'm just not a fan of the whole skimboard deal.
Old     (bensk8in)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-11-2006, 5:10 PM Reply   
what happens when your board gets away from you and you get sucked down river. And what am im going to do with all the money I spend on gas? If any sport could bring back florescent colors with neoprene, its this.
Old     (monroeyd)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-11-2006, 5:52 PM Reply   
What the hell. Back in the day of skurfers, people would do something similar in canals. I concur though, no boat, no gas, no girls, no fun.
Old     (brian_l)      Join Date: May 2006       09-11-2006, 6:05 PM Reply   
i just want a bunjee cord so i can wakeskate up the river next time i go and not have to worry aout pissing people off with a winch. as for the whole "riverboarding" no
Old     (kenteck)      Join Date: Jan 2005       09-11-2006, 6:32 PM Reply   
So when it is all stretched out if the rider lets go for some reason, you will have to buy at least 20 of these to protect the people at the other end.
Upload
Old     (joshugan)      Join Date: Apr 2005       09-11-2006, 8:15 PM Reply   
We used to do this in high school except we used a garage spring. It was kind of fun but didn't hold a candle to wakeboarding. Plus hanging out on the side of the river is not as fun as chilling in a boat.

A while after I quit doing it a girl I knew took a date to go and do it with some of my other buddies. The date fell and somehow got stuck under the board and they didn't realize it. He died. Unfortunate stuff like this is totally possible in wakeboarding too but I will never riverboard again.
Old     (schmo)      Join Date: Oct 2003       09-13-2006, 6:56 AM Reply   
Only one thing nice about the video... a white bikini.
Old    riverboarder            09-27-2006, 9:59 AM Reply   
Wow - A lot of missunderstanding here. Riverboarding is really more like Wakeskating and skimboarding than wakeboarding. We can do all the tricks that Wakeskaters can do. ---"Uhhhhh.... What happens when you fall? Bye Bye board down the river? =("
When your ride is done, you paddle back to the bungee and hook the board to the bungee and ride again. We do not hold the handle in our hands. The bungee is attatched to the board by a release mechanism. Once the bungee is done pulling the board, it releases from the board. ---- "Hahaha, please, where are the chicks in bikini's and the cooler filled with beer?" There is a lot more room for Bikinis and beer on the beach than there is room for in a boat. Riverboarding is much more convienant than wakeboarding. Most people live closer to a river than to a lake. Takes 2 minutes to get set up. No Loading the boat, gasing the boat, unloading the boat.The jump used in the video is a crappy wakeboard jump that we borrowed, we are building jumps that will launch us much higher and farther. People see the video and think that Riverboarding is easy. It takes most people at least 2 or 3 sessions before they can even begin to stand and ride. Riverboarding is such a new sport, there is LOTS of room to grow. If you saw a snowboarding video from 1979, or a skurfer video from the early 90's you would probably think that sucks too? Riverboarding is now at the point where those sports were in the very early days.

(Message edited by riverboarder on September 27, 2006)
Old     (hal2814)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-27-2006, 10:23 AM Reply   
"Most people live closer to a river than to a lake."

True, but most of those rivers are in deplorable shape. I'm sure not getting in the Trinity River in Dallas or anywhere near the Chattahoochie south of Altanta (north maybe).

Personally, this looks pretty insteresting and when it gets cheap enough I'd be willing to try it out but I don't think it will ever catch on as much as a lake or ocean based watersport.
Old     (woohoo)      Join Date: Jun 2006       09-27-2006, 12:16 PM Reply   
It would be better I think if you bought 5 or 10 of the bungee cords and hooked them all together, then you could go really fast and get some serious air off kickers.
Old     (ssteele013)      Join Date: Feb 2006       09-27-2006, 1:10 PM Reply   
no
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       09-27-2006, 2:45 PM Reply   
WOM.
Old     (magellan)      Join Date: Feb 2003       09-27-2006, 2:49 PM Reply   
Anyone ever drank a full glass of gay?
Old    jolly_roger_wake            09-27-2006, 3:02 PM Reply   
i think its ridiculous that anyone would even compare this to wakeboarding, but i think its pretty cool in its own right.
Old     (joeshmoe)      Join Date: Jan 2003       09-27-2006, 3:17 PM Reply   
Wow robert, i don't think there is ANY missunderstanding here, the sport sucks, don't ever compare it to snowboarding, wakeskating, or anything. oh, it is sorta like when i trained my son to ski, i tied a rope to his skis and dragged him around the lake, now, take a wakeskate and tie a rope to it and drag that person around the lake and you have your riverboarding!
anyway, you can't really call it riverboarding, because you know that term is allready being used by another x-treem sport that uses a body board and goes through white water rapids.
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia,
Riverboarding is a boardsport in which the participant is prone on the board with fins on his/her feet for propulsion and steering.
so, take your 1 post, find another name for your new sport, then post it on "another name".com.
Old     (cweb)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-27-2006, 3:29 PM Reply   
"We can do all the tricks that Wakeskaters can do"
I wanna see a kick flip or a bigspin on one of those behemoth boards. NOT HAPPENING and there definintly wont be any W2W action.
Old     (crack)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-29-2006, 7:25 AM Reply   
Maybe if I had a load of money to waste. $600 is kinda high for some plywood and a stretchy rope.
Old    riverboarder            10-04-2006, 11:35 AM Reply   
More Missunderstanding - Joe Shmoe - "Tie a rope to it and drag that person around the lake" Did you understand that the bungee releases from the board once you are traveling at about 30mph? The boards are not plywood, the high end boards are foam and fiberglass. Chris Weber - Did you see the video gallery at Banshee Riverboards.com? Plenty of Big Spins there. Behemoth boards? Our boards are 48" long and 19" wide - Same as a large skimboard. Steve - Low end package for 2007 will cost $300.
Old     (seansmitty42)      Join Date: Apr 2006       10-04-2006, 12:51 PM Reply   
WOW ok ur sport is different i will give u that its like redneck skimboarding. we do it all the time in oklahoma. the truth is most people can do this with their own stuff not three hundred bucks for a cheap skimboard with a release. granted u did come up with something different but dont try to tell us that we should give up our boards and boats because this is cooler

(Message edited by seansmitty42 on October 04, 2006)
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-04-2006, 1:08 PM Reply   
- What happens if you fall / slip 250 feet back, that things gonna tear up river n take someone out?

- 600 - 700 is a hefty price point to break into something like this ( not including helmets, life jacket , etc ) .

- What about warranty, it seems like you are much more likely to hit objects / land / etc in a river enviroment & being tied off to a tree?

- You Illustration says KickFlips & Rails & Massive Ollies but I just dont see it happening?

- Not the best title ( end of wakeboarding ) coming to a wakeboarding forum to introduce your sport or idea...

Not trying to rain on your parade, Props for thinking of something new & having fun but in no way this wont be the end of Wakebaording. It does look like it could be fun, I would give it a shot, just not something I would look to go out & purchase but best of luck to ya...

Lzy
Old     (cweb)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-04-2006, 1:22 PM Reply   
Ok, a bigspin was a bad example....heres another one....i wanna see a David Hanson-esq "shuv it to late flip." All i am saying is dont make a claim that everyone knows isnt true. theres no way that riverboarding will ever come close to wakeboarding or wakeskating. NEVER!!! the video is boring.
Old     (tentcitygoon)      Join Date: Mar 2006       10-04-2006, 3:26 PM Reply   
You thought the Kitetube was a dumb idea, check out http://www.wakekite.com/ Might as well attach this to the riverboard setup and fly around.
Old     (wakebrdr38)      Join Date: Sep 2006       10-04-2006, 4:00 PM Reply   
and i thought riverboarding was dumb! wake kite? are ya serious, the only thing they got goin for them is a really nice web site. proper edging technique will get you the same height! if people wanna improve on the sport they need to take a look at what epic has done with their new boats, that kind of improvement in wake size is appreciated.
Old     (jktx21)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-05-2006, 1:27 PM Reply   
Weak Sauce!
Old     (waterzomby)      Join Date: Aug 2006       10-05-2006, 6:19 PM Reply   
Yaaa have fun with that....