Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through October 30, 2005

Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-09-2005, 5:16 AM Reply   
Here are the results from Perth.

RESULTS - MEN

1st - Phillip Soven, USA - 100.00 points
2nd - Daniel Watkins, AUS - 88.89 points
3rd - Rusty Malinoski, CAN - 77.78 points
4th - JD Webb, USA - 66.67 points
5th - Josh Sanders, AUS - 55.56 points
6th - Danny Harf, USA - 44.44 points
7th - Tino Santori, USA - 33.33 points
8th - Parks Bonifay, USA - 22.22 points
9th - Brett Eisenhauer, AUS - 11.11 points

1st - Emily Copeland-Durham, USA - 100.00 points
2nd - Lauren Loe, USA - 83.33 points
3rd - Dallas Friday, USA - 66.67 points
4th - Hayley Smith, AUS - 50.00 points
5th - Melissa Marquardt, USA - 33.33 points
6th - Sally Grice, AUS - 16.67 points
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-09-2005, 7:32 AM Reply   
finally someone may beat friday...
Old     (nuckledragger)      Join Date: Jun 2004       10-09-2005, 10:12 AM Reply   
It looks like 2 people did beat Friday!

(Message edited by nuckledragger on October 09, 2005)
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-09-2005, 1:36 PM Reply   
ya - what happened there? dallas got third??

and parks got eight? from what i remember he never seems to do well down under, perhaps he doesn't take it too seriously?

any run descriptions?
Old     (twitch)      Join Date: Dec 2004       10-09-2005, 4:02 PM Reply   
atta boy rusty... represent for us canucks
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-09-2005, 4:31 PM Reply   
nice to see lauren loe on the podium, she deserves it.

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (dcervenka)      Join Date: Sep 2002       10-09-2005, 10:03 PM Reply   
Anyone know the tricks that Soven and Emily threw in their winning runs?
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-10-2005, 7:25 AM Reply   
Soven & Emily w/ a 100???

Do they give a 100 for first place even if the run wasn't perfect - anyone have a trick list or 411 on the comp?

Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-10-2005, 7:54 AM Reply   
i think the top person gets 100 and everyone else is subjected to comparaison to them.....do u really think ike could do a 11.11 in a comp?
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-10-2005, 7:54 AM Reply   
i think the top person gets 100 and everyone else is subjected to comparaison to them.....do u really think ike could do a 11.11 in a comp?
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-10-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
"finally someone may beat friday..."

Riiight. She obviously had a bad pass.

The top person doesn't always get 100, unless the scoring is different in the GGs.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-10-2005, 9:25 AM Reply   
the scoring is based on position (100 for first, 88.89 for second, etc.). if you see the scores in the heats it's the same thing.

http://www.wakeworld.com/getarticle.asp?articleid=412

it's still amazing to me that a description of at least the top runs isn't given out by the organizers of the event (it's not dave's job to conjure one up). go to a team's sport's site and you'll see game write-ups and analysis, or espn.

why wouldn't the gravity games site try and put up as much info about the event as they could? you'd get lots of hits just from folks wanting to know what happened, who threw what, etc.

(Message edited by deepstructure on October 10, 2005)
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-10-2005, 4:02 PM Reply   
Is there ANY info about the comp anywhere? You'd think there'd be at least some pics or something. I can't find squat!
Old    bman©            10-10-2005, 4:10 PM Reply   
http://www.gravitygamesh2o.com/
Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-11-2005, 4:30 AM Reply   
I found the info below on wake.com.au (the Australian web site) The link to the Gravity Games doesn't add anything. Maybe we need Dave to contract one of the riders to do a write up when the boys (and girls) are down under. I will see if I can get someone to email me daily updates of the Worlds this week. Barret is there and she might be a good person to do it. I don't think I can count on any of the guys to remember to do it. Here is the post-

Final day of Gravity Games H2O bought the worst weather of the competition, but that didn't stop some world class riding.
Phillip "Froggy" Soven through down a Crow Mobe 540, Whirly 540, Heelside 720 to become the 2006 Gravity Games gold winner.
Daniel Watkins and Rusty Malinoski took out second and third positions.
In Womens, Emily Copeland-Durham took out the gold with Lauren Loe in second and Dallas Friday in third.
A full report and results can be found on the Gravity Games H2O website
Old    mattoz            10-12-2005, 3:18 AM Reply   
Shot in the early days of the event

Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-12-2005, 8:55 PM Reply   
that is a huge A-Frame and the blue slider looks crazy..
Old     (pittsy)      Join Date: Apr 2004       10-12-2005, 8:56 PM Reply   
finally someone or should i say 2 people beat dallas...when was the last time she came in 2nd or 3rd??
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-13-2005, 6:29 AM Reply   
Is this really cause for celebration? Has anyone seen posted what happened? Given the scores I would guess that Dallas (bad ankle and all) lost, which is different than getting beat. Do you really believe that Emily somehow learned some Raley based move to match Dallas for composition and intensity? And then somehow Lauren Loe did the same AND added wrapped or handle pass inverts to her run?

Michael Schumacher won at Indy this year in the Formula One GP…the problem is every team except his and two others didn’t race. But hey a win is still a win…right?
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-13-2005, 8:21 AM Reply   
hey man its a big shift in womens wakeboarding....dont cut them down for it...the women have been getting closer....that skeezer that major threw down is proof....
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-13-2005, 8:34 AM Reply   
"the women have been getting closer"

Not really. Dallas still has tricks she doesn't throw in comps because she doesn't have too.

Skeezer??? Major threw a "Switch Crow Mobe?"

I don;t think anyone is cutting down, just saying that something happened to Dallas.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-13-2005, 8:45 AM Reply   
I agree J-rod and the other ladies are far from close. And I just don't see them catching up. As soon as they are sticking OHH's and batwings consitently she will have an S-bend down solid....if it isn't already.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-13-2005, 8:46 AM Reply   
lol jrod that's exactly what i thought when i saw that - "major is doing switch crow mobes?? where have i been?"
Old    jibber13            10-13-2005, 8:50 AM Reply   
dallas will NEVER be beaten,she can only beat herself. meaghan has added 2 new tricks and has tried them when it counts. the other chics are wasting gas and good water!
i think both MMs agree!
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-13-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
Jrod -

I am with you, we were in a cove @ PEDRO during the Sring Ride and had the pleasure of watching DALLAS throw down... No one in the boat believed me when I said hands down thats Dallas. You can't miss those green boots / board of hers + her arsenal of tricks... She completed 5 or 6 passes in the Cove and then came to a rest right by us, we headed on over to say hello and give her some props, super super cool and AMAZINGLY talented...

I love wakeboarding, groms, men, women, but Dallas in a league of her own with in her group...
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-13-2005, 10:12 AM Reply   
First I am the world’s biggest Maeghan Major fan, she works with me and I drive for her when she practices and yes she is landing Skeezer and T to B consistently. She landed one or the other in the Pan-Am games but never both together...would that beat Dallas? I don't know, but it does leave Maeghan short in composition as she does no "raley" based tricks. It has been explained by all the judges that to score higher in composition you need to show inverts, spins and raley based tricks as well as utilize the rails. Currently only one other female rider does that (Tara Hamilton). I would love for Maeghan to beat Dallas (and everyone else for that matter) and maybe with the other handle pass mobes she is working on she will; however, I can guarantee you she would want that win to be heads up and not because of conditions or injuries.

The next person to truly win over Dallas will have something to be proud of…for now Dallas runs the show and she should she is the best out there.

BTW, I am not putting any of the women riders down. I have put my money where my mouth is when it comes to this...anyone that knows me knows that for fact.

(Message edited by ktm250 on October 13, 2005)
Old     (lzyboy)      Join Date: Jun 2001       10-13-2005, 10:15 AM Reply   
Zedz,

Very well put post, more power to Meeghan for pushing herself and increasing her arsenal of tricks....

In regards to injuries / true win - Do you hae any info on what happend ( runs / tricks / falls ) @ this comp? THNX

Lzy
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-13-2005, 10:20 AM Reply   
Thanks Aaron,
I have no info at this time (past what we all know)...well covered event huh?
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-13-2005, 10:23 AM Reply   

quote:

dallas will NEVER be beaten,

maybe not this year, but keep an eye out for gretchen hammarberg. she's doing the same tricks as dallas and learning more and more every week, goes just as big, has much more style, much cooler in person, and a HELL OF A LOT better looking.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-13-2005, 10:33 AM Reply   
Wow I'm blown away. There is probably not many pro men riders that can do a switch mobe. I would like to see her throw that.
Old    jibber13            10-13-2005, 10:36 AM Reply   
batwing/hoochie
wraped kgb
tootsie/roll2b
ts5/bs3
big basic inverts/or grab inverts
ollie up to flatbar(both ways)
transfer box
if maeghan added her tootsie,ts5 bs3,skeezer,t2b and slide better it would be a different story
props for her trying new stuff in big events!
Old    jibber13            10-13-2005, 10:43 AM Reply   
joe,
i'm still laughing
"she's doing the same tricks as dallas, goes just as big"
i'll email her mom and tell her to hide the espy!
Old     (dakid)      Join Date: Feb 2001       10-13-2005, 10:46 AM Reply   
good, keep laughing, and making stupid ass jokes.
Old    jibber13            10-13-2005, 10:56 AM Reply   
dearest joe,
fyi i just stopped laughing
your friend
clay
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-13-2005, 11:50 AM Reply   
J-Rod, switch mobe was landed at X-Games this year and again at Pan-Am. It is actually more consistant than the T2B. ESPN showed her landing the trick in the wrap up show.

Clayton, keep watching...I don't want to give it away but Maeghan doesn't need a wrap handle anymore.
Old    wakeq1            10-13-2005, 2:30 PM Reply   
To win at that level is an accopmplishment. Period. If any of you who are criticizing it has a pro victory, national or world championship then you may bring some validity. Other wise you know not of what you speak.

As far as the scores go it is a different format than here.

Dallas is a great rider and the top of her sport. But injuries are part of the sport. Will this year's world champion be less because Andrew is hurt and not defending his title. I think not. Emily made it through the prelims against the best women in the world and then executed a run that won. Enough said.

For those who think Dallas gets bias judging here I have one question. Have you seen any events. Dallas wins cause she rides the best.

Old    wakeq1            10-13-2005, 2:37 PM Reply   
Help me out here. Isn't a skeezer a switch crow mobe? Maeghan can kill it. She just doesn't ride enough and being in Carolina she has no sliders. I would love to see her dedicate next year and really compete against Dallas and Emily. I think women WB adds to the sport. Lets hope Maeghan gets her own board deal.

Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-13-2005, 2:44 PM Reply   
to say you have to be a world champion to have an opinion about the validity of a sporting event win is ridiculous and erroneous.

and as far as i can tell, no one here has either 1) claimed dallas receives scoring bias, or 2) actually criticized the other riders. it is completely sensible to ask why, when she has so dominated almost every other contest, dallas came up 2 places short of first in this event. there is undoubtably good reason, not the least of which would be the excellent riding of her competitors. however, as has been proven so many times before, excellent riding against dallas isn't enough.

so obviously either dallas had a less than normal dallas-day, or her competitors had better days than they've so far shown, or the conditions were sufficiently different to negate dallas' normal skill advantage, or even all of the above and more.

regardless, asking the question certainly doesn't require a world class championship pedigree!
Old    wakeq1            10-13-2005, 2:58 PM Reply   
To criticize is fine. To disparage someone's accomplishment with out knowing what it takes to accomplish it or with out having accomplished anything theirselves is sorry. There are a million critics but only one champion.
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-13-2005, 3:21 PM Reply   
There wa no criticizing only questioning. And the question was why wasn't Dallas on top of te podium like she has been the past 100 times or so(sarcasm). When someone dominates as often as she does it is a surprise when she doesn't. Taking nothing away from Emily but Dallas owns womens wakeboarding period.
Old    jibber13            10-13-2005, 5:48 PM Reply   
zedz,
handlle pass kgb is to high risk,win rails,raleys cmobe,t2b and her old stuff (tootsie,ts5)will put her in front of emily and also make D throw down.
just my 2 cents
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-13-2005, 11:03 PM Reply   
i always thought a skeezer was a switch crow mobe???? am i mistaken???
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-13-2005, 11:25 PM Reply   
yes on 1, no on 2
Old    wsrmatt            10-14-2005, 12:20 AM Reply   
the only way to determine who is a better rider is to see who wins overall. 2 out of 3 usually works but i think they have a few more.
Old     (99xstar)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-14-2005, 7:04 AM Reply   
Lame arguement. Anyway, did anyone make it to this event? I lived in Perth for 6 months a couple of years ago and got pumped to see those pics. Swan River is pretty gnarly. Just curious if anyone made it to Oz and snuck into Freo at all. Laters.
Old     (ktm250)      Join Date: Jan 2003       10-14-2005, 7:41 AM Reply   
Maeghan has adopted a new focus for comps. If you ask her she'll tell you that she no longer wants to play it safe in an event. She has a couple of years left and wants to push it hard. She understands that this means she may miss semis and finals when things don't work out but it also means that when everything works it willbe noticed. To be honest I have never seen her have this much fun.

BTW, I am not being critical or deparaging...I am questioning, and if that offends you then I am sorry.
Old    billmajor            10-14-2005, 12:29 PM Reply   
What makes a person a champion? Why dont we ever hear what Wakeboarders do for their communities? Can you name me one single professional tournament competitor that actually attends college full time(Deans List), works full time competes on the pro tour and then spends their spare time doing charity events for inner-city underprivledged kids, kids with MDA,the C.A.R.E. foundation, sponsors free wakeboarding clinics. Then somehow finds time to learn all those neat twirly flippy things. I can only name one. Can you name another? What defines a good role model?
Bill Major
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-14-2005, 12:33 PM Reply   
Mr. Major,
What's His/Her name?
You've got me stumped!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-14-2005, 12:46 PM Reply   
yeeah...who could he possibly be talking about?

Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-14-2005, 12:51 PM Reply   
What defines a good role model?
1. A person that actually attends college full time(Deans List), works full time competes on the pro tour and then spends their spare time doing charity events for inner-city underprivledged kids, kids with MDA,the C.A.R.E. foundation, sponsors free wakeboarding clinics. Then somehow finds time to learn all those neat twirly flippy things.
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-14-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
1st - Phillip Soven, USA - 100.00 points
2nd - Daniel Watkins, AUS - 88.89 points
3rd - Rusty Malinoski, CAN - 77.78 points
4th - JD Webb, USA - 66.67 points
5th - Josh Sanders, AUS - 55.56 points
6th - Danny Harf, USA - 44.44 points
7th - Tino Santori, USA - 33.33 points
8th - Parks Bonifay, USA - 22.22 points
9th - Brett Eisenhauer, AUS - 11.11 points

1st - Emily Copeland-Durham, USA - 100.00 points
2nd - Lauren Loe, USA - 83.33 points
3rd - Dallas Friday, USA - 66.67 points
4th - Hayley Smith, AUS - 50.00 points
5th - Melissa Marquardt, USA - 33.33 points
6th - Sally Grice, AUS - 16.67 points
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-14-2005, 1:01 PM Reply   
Shaq helps Miami police make arrestAssociated Press

MIAMI BEACH, Fla. -- Shaquille O'Neal provided an assist to police over the weekend, trailing a man who allegedly assaulted a gay couple before alerting an arresting officer.

Old     (kneeboarddad)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-14-2005, 1:19 PM Reply   
What makes a person a champion? OK- This may seem lame coming from his dad, but Austin Hair meets many of those qualities. He is an honors studnet with a 4.6 GPA and in the top 6% in his high school class and top 3% state wide. He works at a wakeboard camp that donates time and boats to inner city kids. He is on Beta CLub, was on leadership council at church. He will be attending Rollins College fulltime in the fall.

He finished third on the Pro Tour Jr Men and fifth in pro wakeskate at nationals. He also volunteers to speak at the chapel service on the tour stops.

Maeghan Major is a college student who is planning on going to law school, works her own business and trains.

I can write this since Austin is in Australia and won't see it. He would not like me to post this but hey, someone asked "who".
Old     (zuka666)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-14-2005, 1:25 PM Reply   
Right on, Tell your son I wish him my best!
Old     (uppledup17)      Join Date: Sep 2005       10-14-2005, 1:38 PM Reply   
Mr. Major,

Will this said person coach me for free?
Old    billmajor            10-14-2005, 2:36 PM Reply   
Mr. Hair,
There is nothing lame in your son's acomplishments or where his priorities are. I commend both of you. And I hope he fullfills all of his hope and dreams. And good luck to Austin in all of his future endeaver's. He sounds to me to be a TRUE CHAMPION.
Bill Major
Old    billmajor            10-14-2005, 2:48 PM Reply   
Adam, Im sure that said person would. Just show up with your sponsoring counciler and fill out the neccessary injury waivers at the next charity wakeboard camp that said person puts on, and you will be good to go.
Oh, and don't forget to wear a helmet!!
Bill Major
Old    mommacita            10-14-2005, 2:55 PM Reply   
What defines a good role model?
I would have to say Sean O'brien. He just finished premed, started a wakeboard school (Orlando Wakeboard Academy)http://orlandowake.com/

,He has great morels,. Helped a Charity out a couple weeks ago by taking a blank board and having the sick kids draw on it. We asked him oh you have to do community service cause you got in trouble and he said "No I do it because I believe in it and it was a good cause". Hopefully we will see Sean on tour next year after being hurt this year. Sean's the best and aweful darn cute

Old    wsrmatt            10-15-2005, 4:24 AM Reply   
dude im so lost right now. im drunk too haha. i read some of the posts and you guys and way funny. im rippin it right now to that laugh. im trying to put two and two together because i think thats the point but is bill major that one girl rider mehgans dad? you guys have no clue who the true champion is. im signing my dad up tomorrow and giving him my reseme'. haha. haha. heres what i think makes a true champion but then again church people think church people are champions and honors students are definately in a much higher social class. were i live heres a champion. 1st you gotta know how to drink. burnin is the norm cuz hey "f -it." honors students got thier arsses beat cuz once in awhile they would try to stick up for thierselves. surfing before school after, skateparks, snowboarding, wakeboarding, and doing it all ripped and ripping. haha. actually i think a champion is someone that sounds not as lame as those other champion profiles
Old    wsrmatt            10-15-2005, 4:36 AM Reply   
i think the best way to find out which girl is the best overall is to give each girl an extra 2 passes. haha. that would be funny cuz i seriously bet that most of the girls would run out of tricks. probably only a few girls have enough flips and spins to fill up 4 passes without mixing in grabs when you have no tricks. dont get me wrong cuz i think grabs are sicker then any hard trick out there but girls dont poke and tweak them right to me
Old    wakeq1            10-15-2005, 5:47 AM Reply   
Matt- Thank you for that well written post. I would suggest not signing your dad up since either (1) he probably doesn't realize the full extent of how messed up you are and he still has some hope for you or (2) he would rather just not let people know you are related.

I may live in Alabama but I think a definition of a champion is easy- They win.
Old     (lizrd)      Join Date: Jul 2002       10-15-2005, 6:27 AM Reply   
Matt Graves writes "i think the best way to find out which girl is the best overall is to give each girl an extra 2 passes. haha."

Actually, I was pretty shocked at Nationals in Wisconsin, that the girls got two falls in their passes. Almost all of them used both falls in order to finish their run. Having witnessed the event it was clear to me that Dallas is above and beyond the others who were there that day.
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-15-2005, 2:40 PM Reply   
All of the girls rip. But you guys are forgetting that what Dallas throws down in her comps now, is only a handful of what she's capable of doing. Have you ever seen her free ride??? She's got so many different tricks up her sleeve that the girls competing against her better kiss 1st place goodbye for a few more years at least.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-15-2005, 2:47 PM Reply   
which begs the question even more - what happened to her at the gravity games?
Old     (wakeboardnchica)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-15-2005, 4:59 PM Reply   
Everybody screws up once in a while. I mean, look at Phillip Soven, he was winning every comp he entered but when he screwed up at the X-Games or at the Pro Tour Stop, nobody bagged on him about. Why is Dallas any different. Years of consistently winning gold, she was bound to mess up sometime or another. It just so happens it was at the Gravity Games this year. Sue her, she's human like the rest of us.
Old     (deepstructure)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-15-2005, 6:11 PM Reply   
don't get your panties in a bunch emily!

no one was baggin' on her - quite the opposite. everyone here has been singing her praises. we were just asking what happened. if it's a simple as she just had an off-day that'd be great to know. we're just wondering. as was stated before by zed, we're just questioning.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-16-2005, 12:40 AM Reply   
but you guys gotta admit the gals are closin in on her...
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-16-2005, 1:53 AM Reply   
Hot off the press... Soven and Copeland-Durham have won Worlds in Maroochydore, Queensland, OZ, a few hours ago. Soven was followed by JD Webb and Jeff Weatherall. Durham was followed by Amber Wing and Andrea Fountain. Press releases will be out in a day or so I'm sure.

Mike
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-16-2005, 8:08 AM Reply   
Congrats to JD on second. After a week out here in NorCal he was ready! LOL
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-16-2005, 8:28 AM Reply   
Rich, did you guys get some footage with JD? Will he be in DS2. Alex did a 10 day, 3 state trip on one of the Hyperlite moterhomes with him last summer and said he was a super cool guy.
Old     (wakedad33)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-16-2005, 8:33 AM Reply   
Rich, did you guys get some footage with JD? Will he be in DS2. Alex did a 10 day, 3 state trip on one of the Hyperlite moterhomes with him last summer and said he was a super cool guy.
Old     (shavis)      Join Date: Aug 2005       10-16-2005, 8:57 AM Reply   
was friday @ worlds?
Old     (isler)      Join Date: Apr 2003       10-16-2005, 5:49 PM Reply   
Friday injured her back on Saturday and was taken away by ambulance from the site. She was back at the site on Sunday, walking around but appeared to be in quite a bit of pain. I don't have the specifics on the injury, but she wasn't in a condition to ride.
Old     (richd)      Join Date: Oct 2003       10-16-2005, 7:03 PM Reply   
Hyperlite sent JD and Aaron Rathy out here for a week so we could shoot them for DS2 before they headed down under.