Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 01, 2004

Old    palmoya            06-17-2004, 6:22 AM Reply   
Can I get a "good" (at least better than decent) wakeboarding boat under 20'? It seems like everything that size has a ski hull. My wife and I board 95% of the time, rarely ski.

My condo garage is only 20' 3" deep and the door is 103" wide. I want something with a pretty good wake because I baby my boats and don't anticipate parting with it for quite a while.

I think an internal ballast will be key because at this size, space willl be a factor. I want used under 30K. At this size that should not be a problem.

Suggestions? I'm more than ready to move into an inboard!
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-17-2004, 7:33 AM Reply   
For that size you might have a problem finding a boat with an internal ballast system. MC makes the X-7, I think is under 20' but I am not sure about its ballast. If a Supra launch is under the 20' requirement, I have heard that they are exellent boats. Just look around at cross-over boats. Good luck.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       06-17-2004, 7:37 AM Reply   
Look at a Malibu Sportster with a Wedge and a Tower. You will have to remove the platform and need a removeable tongue on the trailer to fit in garage; should also look at a fold-down tower. You may want additional ballast, but there is not a lot of floor space, so the Wedge will be key.
Old     (magic)      Join Date: Mar 2002       06-17-2004, 8:03 AM Reply   
Calabria Cal-Air may fit too. Same as what Richard points out, you'll be removing the swim step and will need a break-away tongue on the trailer.
Old    chavezychavez            06-17-2004, 8:25 AM Reply   
The old Nautique 2001 might fit the bill as well if you are down for a project. As mentioned, swing-away or removable tongue will be a must.
Old    palmoya            06-17-2004, 8:27 AM Reply   
These are a must in my (or my garage's) opinion:
-swing-away/removable trailer tongue
-fold-down tower
-platform removal
-ballast

I'll have to do a search here on the Sportster, WaterSki Mag classifies it as "hardcore slalom" though. I forgot about the Wedge...good call Rich G. Supra Launch is too big, already looked at that one. Cal-Air is also too big.

I am seeing a lot of Malibu Response and MC 190's for sale. Any thoughts on these? I just saw that an X-5 or an X-7 may fit. Looks like they are based off of the 190/197 line. With lack of space in this small boat the Wedge may be a must though.

Opinions definitely appreciated!
Old    palmoya            06-17-2004, 8:39 AM Reply   
I thought about the 2001 Chavez, but not really down for a project. Maybe an Air 196 though.

I guess I do have some options, just need to research here and get some feedback on my garage issues from current owners.

Luckily there are a ton of these smaller boats for sale. Hope that isn't entirely because they are bad wakeboarding boats.
Old     (lugwrench)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-17-2004, 8:59 AM Reply   
Palmoya, I have an 03 Sportster with the wedge and a titan tower and the wake is decent. Not huge, not small just decent, the Sportster is much lighter and has a very shallow draft so yes it is a phenomenal slalom boat. But we either remove the rear seat and put in a 500lb fat sac or fill the boat with some bikini ballast and the wake does take on a nice size and shape. We have the 335 Monsoon engine and it is a hole shot animal. With 8 people in the boat and 2 boarders I still have to back off on the throtle to not rip the rope out of their hands.
Old    lucky            06-17-2004, 9:17 AM Reply   
Just looked at the specs on a Tige 20v and I think it would work for you and it has all of the above criteria. Only issue would be to find one at 30k. Huge interior for such a small boat, I really like these and it would have been my first choice if I had not found a really nice used Super Air.
Old    lucky            06-17-2004, 9:22 AM Reply   
Looks like the Tige 20i would work too. You can get a new Switch close to your price. I have no idea about the wake on these.
Old    lucky            06-17-2004, 9:24 AM Reply   
http://www.flipsell.com/Phase3/home/DispVehicle.asp?VehicleID=6498

Old     (suckbuthavefun)      Join Date: May 2003       06-17-2004, 9:24 AM Reply   
Ski Centurion T5 Thunder. It is just over 20' and has an internal ballast. You can probably get new for under 30K.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       06-17-2004, 9:30 AM Reply   
Response LX w/ wedge would be a nice boat, plus you would have the back ski locker for a bag, and space in the bow. Does that boat have a floor locker? Don't know if it would meet your space req; you've got to have a boat under 20'; go to the dealer and bring your tape measurer.
Old    svfara            06-17-2004, 9:42 AM Reply   
I bought a Svfara SV609 for the same reasons, 19'8" without the swim platform. Beam is only 85". Tower folds down below windshield height very easy. It has internal ballast.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of smaller boats that size out there built for wakeboarding (if any?)... My boat was also built for skiing, but I think it works better for wakeboarding than the other choices. The Mastercraft X5 was my 2nd choice -should be able to find those used in your price range.

Does anybody know if anybody ever made a V-drive less than 20'?

Old    palmoya            06-17-2004, 9:52 AM Reply   
The Tige's would be pushing it. Really tight.

http://adcache.boattraderonline.com/6/8/2/66607782.htm

I have to be under 20'. It will all come down to the tale of the tape.
Has anyone bought a new house just so they could get their boat?!
Old    svfara            06-17-2004, 10:16 AM Reply   
That's right, I think the Tige' is exactly 20' and they make a 20' V-drive too.
That would be Very tight!
Old    palmoya            06-17-2004, 10:17 AM Reply   
X-5 would be cool except for the closed bow. Maybe an X-7 or its (cheaper) equivalent, the 197.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-17-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
How about a Supra Launch LTS, tower, ballast, swing tongue,hyd wakeplate,removable swim platform, 19'11" 95" wide
www.skierschoice.com
Close to your 30K price range new.
Old    svfara            06-17-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
The X-5 also came in an open bow version.
Old     (akdoc)      Join Date: Feb 2004       06-17-2004, 10:23 AM Reply   
palmoya,
here is a pic of our new Tige Switch V wake. We have 3 people in the boat, the stock ballast is full (~600lbs.), at 20.0 MPH.

Tige Switch V wake
Old    palmoya            06-17-2004, 10:48 AM Reply   
Niiiiice KJ. I need to take a photo of my measly Four Winns wake to see exactly what I'm missing.

Looks like these are the top picks:
-Supra Launch LTS (if it fits)
-Tige 20/Switch i or V (if they fit) $$$
-X-5 (or tricked out 190)
-X-7 (or tricked out 197) $$$
-Svfara SV609 (if I can find one)

This is going to be tough.

Tige 20/Switch V looks to be only V drive option.

Old    lucky            06-17-2004, 11:42 AM Reply   
The Swith i, is the 20ft DD option.
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       06-17-2004, 12:17 PM Reply   
I'm not sure some of these 20' boats will fit in your space. You've got to consider the parts of the trailer, winch, etc, that extend beyond the bow. Here's a thought - take the sheetrock off the back wall and you get an extra 1/2". Any garage door hardware that can be removed?
Old    palmoya            06-17-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
The trailer may make the difference. Although I was checking out trailers at the dealer and for a new MC Wakesetter all parts of the trailer were within the space of/underneath the boat.

When I'm working this tight an extra 1/2" may be the difference. Maybe I can cut out some of the studs also.
Old    sbvfive            06-17-2004, 1:06 PM Reply   
I have an X-Star that has to be within 1/2 inch of the back wall of my garage to close the door, so I know how you feel. Obviosly I would normally say go with the Mastercraft (NOT STARTING A BOAT WAR!!!!!!!!) BUT in this case getting the smaller tige v-drive may be better for you. the x-5 and x-7 are both amazing boats, but they are meant to cross over between skiing and riding. If you are just a rider, the v-drive will defenetely make a difference! If you cant find a small enough V-drive, then I highly reccommend the DD mastercraft x series boats. You will get a great wake out of them if you slam them!!
Old     (rich_g)      Join Date: May 2003       06-17-2004, 1:33 PM Reply   
Careful with the studs and load-bearing walls. You could frame a "window" to custom fit the back of the boat, having the boat extend into what is now wall space (but not cutting thru to the outside). Sheetrock + a 2X4 = 4". Back that puppy in by hand for the last foot, not w/ a vehicle. Now that is a worthwhile home improvement project!
Old    palmoya            06-17-2004, 1:43 PM Reply   
Thanks Rich, but I was kidding about the studs (I think). But that is an interesting option.

I already have to walk in my 17' Four Winns with my wife telling me when I'm getting close to the back wall. Luckily our parking lot is somewhat level.

Scott, what do you mean to "slam" them? Load them down?
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       06-17-2004, 2:24 PM Reply   
Look for a used TIGE 20V... if you dont want to fill up with ballast.. just tweek the TAPS. Also the original 20V has the Convex V Hull.. no spray pockets... but not the lifetime warranty... but there are so good deals kicking around for a 2000 Tige 20V... look around...
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       06-17-2004, 4:23 PM Reply   
in 97 and 98 cc came out with the air-tique it was a 17'6"
Old    svfara            06-17-2004, 5:37 PM Reply   
Wow! never knew about the air-tique, that thing is small... Now if it was a v-drive, that would be interesting!

anyone ever ride behind one?
Old     (ofwc)      Join Date: Sep 2002       06-17-2004, 9:03 PM Reply   
Palmoya,

It's interesting. As I read your post, I thought of the FourWinns 170 with a 4.3. I had that hull with a 115 outboard. The wake is very good with a sack in the ski locker and a couple hundred pounds of lead. You can build an excellent wake with that boat!

Throw a Monster Tower and Perfect Pass on it and save twenty grand!!!
Old     (ssrgeoff)      Join Date: May 2004       06-17-2004, 9:13 PM Reply   
Both Tige Switch models DD and V have a removeable fiberglass swimstep. It would be snug but may work depending on the trailer. They are both 20' exactly.
Old    hyperryd            06-17-2004, 10:10 PM Reply   
I have a three car garage, but it is too shallow for my boat. If I keep it at home it takes up all three stalls, so I store it in a mini storage. It costs a little bit, but I can have my boat and my garage. The wife is happy, because she can park in the garage. Win-win situation.
Old    palmoya            06-18-2004, 9:21 AM Reply   
We have really considered tricking out the Four Winns, but the biggest factor with that boat is lack of space. Especially when you start adding sacks. I would rather put the tower, swim platform, ballast, p pass, etc.. money into a new (to me) boat.

I've been told the wake is OK, better than most sterndrives. It's a wide beam for a 16'6" boat. I think to get me through to the time when we actually buy something I will invest in a four blade prop (about $160). Trimmed all the way in, it struggles to stay on plane at 20mph. I've read that trimming out helps the wake so a 4 blade will be a must.

How much is a mini-storage (indoor)?
Old    ilovetrains            06-18-2004, 12:09 PM Reply   
palmoya - you may want to also check this out. I saw a local garage door manufacturer that sold a kit to extend you gargae to the end of the sill plate over the grage door. The original door is removed a new door that has bifold hings (two piece) opens outward barn style. Most garage door sils are about 8-10 inches, plus you do not have the door mounted inside the garage anymore. You lose power lift function, but we are talking about one more foot!
Old    hyperryd            06-18-2004, 12:38 PM Reply   
I pay six months at a time and it comes to $72. per month.
Old     (ssrgeoff)      Join Date: May 2004       06-20-2004, 2:04 PM Reply   
I pay $125 for covered parking.
Old    palmoya            06-22-2004, 7:56 AM Reply   
Thanks Matt, but I'm fairly certain the condo association would really frown on that type of modification.

They are already upset I'm not using the garage for my vehicle!
Old    svfara            06-22-2004, 10:10 AM Reply   
palmoya, If you end up keeping your Four Winns, you might want to consider a 5 blade prop instead of the 4 (best investment I ever made when I had an I/O)

Also, regarding the Tige' 20V, does anybody know how much extra length the "TAPS" trim plate adds? (or can it be folded in for storage?)
Old    palmoya            06-22-2004, 10:16 AM Reply   
What are the benefits of a 5 blade prop? I know the 4 blade has better low-end power, low-speed maintaing ability, and has better balance than a 3.

Will it improve wake size?
Old    palmoya            06-22-2004, 10:17 AM Reply   
Oh, yeah. I have a Volvo SX outdrive, not a Merc.
Old    sbvfive            06-22-2004, 10:48 AM Reply   
Palmoya, slam them means to put a lot of weight in them. Sorry it took so long to respond.
Old    palmoya            06-22-2004, 11:27 AM Reply   
Looks like I'll be keeping this boat through this season. I'll buy this fall when all of you start thinking about getting rid of your rides.

I'm running a 14" X 19" prop now. Somewhat difficult to stay on plane at 20-21mph. I can do it, my driver/wife has a hard time (unfortunately for me).

For a four blade, do I go to a 20" or 18" pitch?
Old    svfara            06-22-2004, 11:53 AM Reply   
I first went from the stock 3 blade 21p to a 4 blade 19p, saw a huge improvement in performance -lost a little top end.
Then I upgraded to a 5 blade stainless 21p -again, saw a huge improvement, even over the 4 blade. (19p would have been better strictly boarding -but I had to keep everybody happy)
It did everything better except for top end -holding speed, turning, less cavitation, better slow speed handling, better hole shot etc...

I don't know if the 5-blade will fit a Volvo though -maybe there's an adapter?

Wake shape is not affected by the prop, but it did allow me to run with more weight. (I ran 700lbs up front & 550lbs in the rear)

I had a 19ft I/O 4.3L EFI
Hope that helps
Old     (ssrgeoff)      Join Date: May 2004       06-22-2004, 11:56 AM Reply   
Also, regarding the Tige' 20V, does anybody know how much extra length the "TAPS" trim plate adds? (or can it be folded in for storage?)

Its under a foot. My boat is in storage or I would measure it for you but its around 6-8" I believe.
Old    tommyadrian5            06-23-2004, 9:20 AM Reply   
I'm sure its been mentioned, but if price is an issue look for a used MC Sportstar Open Bow, its the same hull as the X-5 open bow, and its a little feller. Throw 2200 lbs ballast in there and you'll have all the wake you'll ever need.

Old    palmoya            06-25-2004, 9:13 AM Reply   
I'll have seven adults in the FW this weekend. Can't wait to see how it affects the wake.

Need to remember to take a pic.
Old     (ssrgeoff)      Join Date: May 2004       06-26-2004, 10:24 AM Reply   
"Also, regarding the Tige' 20V, does anybody know how much extra length the "TAPS" trim plate adds? (or can it be folded in for storage?)"

Eric, plate is 9 inches
Old    absolutofft            06-27-2004, 6:08 PM Reply   
I have to second the Mastercraft Sportster with 2000+ lbs of ballast. I have one and we run a fat seat and a fatsac on either side of the engine cover and the wake is very nice. Our wake is much bigger than the wake of an X2 with stock ballast. However I have recently been riding around in an 04 X-Star and that wake is huge but that boat costs 4 times the price of my boat for a 25% bigger wake :-)
Old     (ramhouse)      Join Date: Apr 2004       06-27-2004, 9:46 PM Reply   
Small boat? I got a 190..for two reasons...one was it's small and a great boat for my teens to learn to drive and the other it's an X5 hull. With 2 adults and three teens it puts out an 18" wake...Add some sacks and it is awsome! The 3 blade acme helped so much. I read "tricked out 190", well i guess that is what i got...tower, speakers, prop, and a MC. Just remember a small boat means NO room. Mine is on profile...
Old    nwalz            07-07-2004, 11:08 AM Reply   
I have been trying to find a discussion about boats other than ski type boats, and this is the closest I could find. I just purchased a Cobalt 198(20' Boat) and am trying to find the best way to get a bigger wake. It seems like no matter how good we get at Wakeboarding, we cannot seem to get any height off of the wake. When looking to purchase ballast sacks, is there anything I need to know? i.e. Where should I put them? What does a good wake look like v.s. a bad wake? Is it possible to get a good wake out of a boat like mine?

Thanks
Old    palmoya            07-07-2004, 2:17 PM Reply   
Nate,

I've had good luck the past couple of weekends with seven people (around 900 lbs) in the boat and the outdrive trimmed out somewhat (20%?). I'm sure you will have to play around to find the trim with the cleanest/biggest wake for your particular boat.

This setup increased the size and steepness of the wake and substantially increased my jumping ability (more air/farther jumps) with lower physical effort.

The only downside was that it was harder to maintain a consistent speed and stay on plane with the trim out. I think a four blade prop would solve that issue though.

I'll look for pics.