Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-04-2011, 10:11 PM Reply   
i'm debating whether or not i should buy my own at this point. been riding for 5 years. i know what kind of material i like when it comes to handles.
Old     (benjaminp)      Join Date: Nov 2008       04-05-2011, 6:34 AM Reply   
Benefit? Not having to rely on someone else for a rope and handle? Always having a comfey handle? Other than that...none. If you have the money and feel like spending it, go for it. If not, I doubt your riding will suffer.
Old     (brhanley)      Join Date: Jun 2001       04-05-2011, 10:26 AM Reply   
Advantages: Always being at the length you want to be at (ropes are often not consistently marked) with less variables (handle feel, width, etc.) to deal with on each pull. Disadvantages: Wrangling all the handles/ropes for each numbskull in your crew.
Old     (Lakemiltonwake)      Join Date: Feb 2011       04-05-2011, 3:28 PM Reply   
Benefits? Not putting wear and tear on everyone else's equipment. The boat owner already bought the boat, Now he has to supply everyone with his own rope?
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-05-2011, 5:03 PM Reply   
I'd say more than anything, it's to have your own handle. A rope is a rope.
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-05-2011, 5:15 PM Reply   
A rope is a rope is like saying a cadillac is a corvette.put but of them on a road course and see which one you prefer,Some ropes stretch and others don't.Also some ropes break easier than others and some float better.Alot of variables.
Old     (Walt)      Join Date: Jan 2003       04-05-2011, 5:23 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by brhanley View Post
Advantages: Always being at the length you want to be at (ropes are often not consistently marked) with less variables (handle feel, width, etc.) to deal with on each pull. Disadvantages: Wrangling all the handles/ropes for each numbskull in your crew.
Well said.
Old     (andy_nintzel)      Join Date: Sep 2004 Location: Minnesnowda       04-05-2011, 6:10 PM Reply   
CONSITENCY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! That is the #1 reason. I know that went it comes to ropes I am very picky. Not so much on the rope but the handle. I have big arse hands and I like a big gauge handle. I also love doing wrapped spins so I always want a wrap handle on my rope. I find that if I am using some else's rope it more likely that I will drop the handle when spinning espically if it involves muliple handle passes or passing the handle while inverted. Other strange things happen when I use other handles, jamming fingers, sticking my hand through the handle, grapping the handle after passing with one finger, etc. I think that having your own rope that is familar to you is almost as important as having your own board. So much of wakeboarding is muscle memory and a rope/handle always being the same plays right into that muscle memory.
Old     (wakesk8er2)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-05-2011, 9:12 PM Reply   
I'm pretty sure If you're dropping money on your own rope and handle setup to carry around you're gonna get on that doesn't stretch. I should have said a non stretch rope is a non stretch rope. They all just have their different gimmicks to try and get you to buy them. Andy's post was a long version of what I was trying to say.
Old     (Kane)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-06-2011, 12:48 AM Reply   
I definitely think a bad rope held me back for a full season, thing was too short and had too much stretch. I wasn't experienced enough to know how it was crap, it wasn't until I got a few sets in with another handle that I realised how bad the other one was
Now I have my own rope and handle and won't ride any more cheap a$$ supermarket gear.
Old     (Luker)      Join Date: Feb 2010       04-06-2011, 5:47 AM Reply   
Because nobody wants to be "that guy"
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       04-06-2011, 10:04 AM Reply   
I have enough to think about out there. I don't want to be thinkin about how this handle sucks, or it's too small, too heavy or whatever.

Lately I ride with an 85' line & a quick release. If I use my own gear, I'm not dwelling on whatever gear issue there is. So I bring it all, suit, rope/handle, etc.

Plus a really good boat slut always brings gas or gas money, and helps with cleaning up & putting away the boat afterwards.
Old     (flydenrict)      Join Date: Nov 2009       04-06-2011, 11:32 AM Reply   
I say it depends on what youre currently working with. Is it worth it to buy a quality wakeboard rope (no stretch, comfy handle, wrap handle) absolutely. Is it worth it for each person in your crew to have his own? In my opinion, not so much. It also depends on who you ride with and how often. is it always with the same boat and same crew or are you a floating third that rides on a different boat every week? Andy's response is proablay the best. go with that
Old    SamIngram            04-06-2011, 12:33 PM Reply   
Handle Diameter!! I have huge hands and my hands and forearms get very tired very quickly if use one of the little diameter handles. Most of my crew are little fairies and have dainty little hands.... I use a great big old diameter handle to fit my great big old hands, problem solved.
Old     (SugarFree)      Join Date: Aug 2010       04-08-2011, 6:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamIngram View Post
Handle Diameter!! I have huge hands and my hands and forearms get very tired very quickly if use one of the little diameter handles. Most of my crew are little fairies and have dainty little hands.... I use a great big old diameter handle to fit my great big old hands, problem solved.
plus all the tape holding it together is pretty custom too!
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-12-2011, 2:15 PM Reply   
No benefit if you like the handles on the boats you ride on. I kind of cringe when every rider shows to my boat up with their own line. I will swap lines but not a fan of it after every set and I will almost always ride with whatever the last rider used just to keep things moving. I suppose you could be 'that guy' by insisting on a line swap just as easy as showing up without one and expecting a boat line. Just depends on what the crew norm is.
Old     (adamsilcio)      Join Date: Oct 2007       04-12-2011, 7:15 PM Reply   
went ahead and bought me a shredtown chamois proline handle and a proline vapor rope 80ft. except none of the links say 'with handle' so i just assume with the handle i gotta remember its an extra 5ft out. so if i am riding at 75ft, im actually at 80ft. i know accurate ropes always say 'with handle' on the links
Old     (stevo8290)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-13-2011, 7:34 AM Reply   
Everybody in my group pretty much rides there own rope and handle. I paid good money for my handle, I dont feel like other people putting extra wear and tear on it.

I just got a new handle, the LF team handle. Its light, wide and the grip feels like sex on your hands. BUT, its a foam grip, and will wear out.

As far as taking the time to swap ropes between sets like said above. It takes two seconds....
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-13-2011, 9:41 PM Reply   
a good trick to switch just the handle out (and for removing segments) is to put a small piece of thick rope (or some other object) where the ends join so that the loop does not get sooo tight that you cant quickly undo it.
Old     (wakerider111)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-13-2011, 9:45 PM Reply   
something like this
Attached Images

Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-14-2011, 10:40 AM Reply   
Or just keep the loop from folding over on itself. In the picture just pull the ropes in opposite directions until tight and your fine. Pull the loop down and over and your knotted. Try it and you will see.
Old     (srock)      Join Date: Mar 2002       04-14-2011, 10:43 AM Reply   
I'll let you use my handle just keep the suntan lotion away.