Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-24-2010, 8:35 PM Reply   
Full Carbon wrapped NVS Devient Enclosures

Enclosures have been notches to fit 3 on the tower

Machined mounts to level all enclosures and space

will post more pics soon
Attached Images

Old     (jp1)      Join Date: May 2008       03-25-2010, 12:22 AM Reply   
Looks good
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-25-2010, 11:35 AM Reply   
Ryan- Nice work. Keep the updates coming as you get further along. Funny, in the last pic, it looks like the Deviants are being used as supply diffusers (the duct in the background)
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-25-2010, 12:04 PM Reply   
Wow that looks really great. I'm sure those will be properly amped and insanely loud.
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-25-2010, 12:52 PM Reply   
Pic of the woofer trim panel for 4 JL w7 12
Attached Images

Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       03-25-2010, 2:33 PM Reply   
Hmm, I'm trying to picture where in the hell that would go in the boat.
Old     (rukie)      Join Date: Jan 2006       03-25-2010, 2:35 PM Reply   
Dayummmmm. Under the rear bench seat?
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       03-25-2010, 3:42 PM Reply   
Been waiting to see this boat for a long time! Can't wait to see the final result. Great work guys!
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-25-2010, 5:25 PM Reply   
Shadowcaster and Balmar marine alternator install
Attached Images

Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-25-2010, 11:10 PM Reply   
give you a clue...
Attached Images

Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-26-2010, 8:08 AM Reply   
Ryan- Those enclosures are AWSOME looking....The carbon fiber makes them!

Can you share your secrets for getting such a perfect finish on the woofer baffel? It looks flawless in the pic.....

Thanks
Scott
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       03-26-2010, 11:21 PM Reply   
Few more pics

First picture is the carbon walkover trim panel
Attached Images

Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-27-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
Hey Ryan, I'm assuming that the "carbon" is the vinyl sticker stuff? Any tips for newbs trying to get that stuff to conform to the odd-ball bends like you have?
Old     (nubb)      Join Date: May 2006       03-27-2010, 8:59 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucktronics View Post
Pic of the woofer trim panel for 4 JL w7 12
I dont believe this is a vinyl sticker, you can see the Carbon threads around the edge.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-27-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
Is it the 3m carbon vinyl? I should wrap my bullets with this stuff! Might be tough to do the cans though?
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       03-27-2010, 1:38 PM Reply   
sticker, vinyl... no. You can see the weave hanging down in the first picture before he trimmed out the speaker holes. It's the real deal.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-27-2010, 2:25 PM Reply   
He says they are wrapped. Here is a link to more info on it. It comes in gloss and matte

http://www.carbonfiberfilm.com/
Old     (nubb)      Join Date: May 2006       03-27-2010, 2:56 PM Reply   
You can see the fiber in this pic. That looks like the real deal. Atleast on this piece,
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       03-27-2010, 3:24 PM Reply   
Yeah for sure. I missed that. Looks amazing!
Old     (dohboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       03-27-2010, 4:37 PM Reply   
Thats cool stuff. Looks fairly easy to use from the videos on the website. I agree with Duffy, Bullet cans would look sick wrapped in it.
Old     (cprfab)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-27-2010, 5:18 PM Reply   
Trust me that's the real deal, Ryan stated wrapped meaning the parts are built then wrapped in the carbon fiber material then coated with an epoxy resin, then the pieces will be cleared for uv protection.
Old     (flyspec14)      Join Date: Apr 2005       03-27-2010, 7:34 PM Reply   
Could be real.. Thatd be alot of work. We use a 3M material that's called Di Noc. Cool stuff, same look & MUCH cheaper.

Super solid build BTW! Love to see the inginuity.
Old     (jp1)      Join Date: May 2008       03-27-2010, 7:39 PM Reply   
WTF not one comment on the fact that there is now no walkway and in it's place is a box that appears to be for 4 10's or maybe 12's...that's just plain stupid...good doing Ryan just another way to piss people off at the lake...it's almost as bad as the x-star you did...almost
Old     (cprfab)      Join Date: Dec 2006       03-27-2010, 7:47 PM Reply   
Matt- it is very real...I work for Ryan...real carbon is what the customer wanted so that's what he got

Johnny- why the hate? It's what the customer wanted
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       03-27-2010, 9:38 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeski View Post
sticker, vinyl... no. You can see the weave hanging down in the first picture before he trimmed out the speaker holes. It's the real deal.
heh, my bad, that's what I get for posting from my phone. Wow, even more impressed to see it's the real stuff. Looks stunning.
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-28-2010, 12:01 AM Reply   
I have had the luck to be able to watch this build in progress and it is really cool. It will definitely be loud and should sound pretty darn decent as well. As for the carbon....I was at the shop on Friday trying to sneak a peek at how it's done and Ryan was kind enough to share how they do it and it is a process! He has a ton of hours in each piece between prep and layup and finish. Ryan has only teased everyone with these picks as there is SOOO much detail in his work that it may be hard to convey on a forum like this.

As for the walk way being blocked....The CUSTOMER asked Ryan to mod the boat and the mod’s Ryan did actually make the boat stronger so please hate to yourself if it's not YOUR thing.

Hopefully, Ryan will post more pics soon, as well as share a little about the system lay out. He didn't break a lot of new ground here but he did design a system that should be extremely loud, sound great and be VERY reliable.

Great Job Ryan and thanks for the Carbon Fiber tutorial
Scott
Old     (jp1)      Join Date: May 2008       03-29-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
That's the beautiful thing about living in this country I can hate on anything I would like to and post it on the Internet. I still think it's stupid even if the customer wanted it...it's going to be the ruination of boating on the lakes and waterways
Old     (soundbox)      Join Date: Oct 2007       03-29-2010, 5:14 PM Reply   
Looks great Ryan. I can't wait to hear it.
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       03-31-2010, 10:21 PM Reply   
Hey Ryan, how many batteries are we running and how is the custom mounted V drive jumper cables coming along? Just wanted to make sure we're ready to power up "G"s boat when he ties up next to us Or maybe he'll be scared away from the Boooooooom?
Old     (murphy_smith)      Join Date: Dec 2005       04-01-2010, 7:47 AM Reply   
Harold, I would have thought that you would have had Grant do your boat?

Guess when you are trying to destroy the competition, you have to keep the out of the production design phase!!!!

Looks very cool and can't wait to see the progress and finished product
Old    bigdtx            04-01-2010, 7:56 AM Reply   
I admire the work but that woofer setup would get old in about 5 minutes.
Old     (mrt111)      Join Date: Sep 2006       04-01-2010, 8:03 AM Reply   
Thats the best carbon work I have ever seen!
Old     (mc_x15)      Join Date: Jul 2008       04-01-2010, 8:17 AM Reply   
johny powerturn, your just one of those guys. Go to another thread or even a another forum. In fact stop boating all together
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       04-01-2010, 11:50 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by murphy_smith View Post
Harold, I would have thought that you would have had Grant do your boat?

Guess when you are trying to destroy the competition, you have to keep the out of the production design phase!!!!

Looks very cool and can't wait to see the progress and finished product
Yes, It was supposed to be that way.....but with summer time around the corner and business being good, he didnt have enough time.
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       04-01-2010, 11:57 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdtx View Post
I admire the work but that woofer setup would get old in about 5 minutes.
Yeah, it might? Gonna try it out and see how it goes. I used to have the box behind the drivers seat and was always worried about passengers not paying attention and damaging one of the W7's. At least now, its only me that would possibly damage of the woofers and not someone else.
Also did this change to hopefully increase the total output. I had a phasing issue and was loosing some frequencies. Cant wait to hear the new design
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       04-01-2010, 12:33 PM Reply   
Wow, looks awesome Ryan.
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-07-2010, 10:24 PM Reply   
OK, enough is enough, despite the oringinal plans, plan B, plan C and so on, I know that this system is ready to be seen.....in it's final form...ok almost. I would seem as though the Tower was the easy part. Harold, please tell us that (assuming the weather Gods are once again in our favor and shinning on Mothers Day weekend) that you will debet you new stuff at Spring Ride this year? If it's by chance the extra weight in the boat that has you concerned towing, I'd be happy to offer you my 7.3L turbo Diesel for the weekend. With 4K RMS of subs it will at least get you primed/teased by the time you get to the lake.
Ryan, awesome work as usual. Can't wait for Spring Ride this year "West Coast Style". Props to CIE.
Old     (stang_killa_ss)      Join Date: Jan 2010       04-08-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
carbon work is sick. whos doing it?
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-08-2010, 8:23 AM Reply   
I'm thinking we need some updated pictures, Ryan. No wonder what has been eating up all your time.

How have you been Duane? It's been a while since you've popped up here.
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       04-08-2010, 9:40 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvsairwarrior View Post
OK, enough is enough, despite the oringinal plans, plan B, plan C and so on, I know that this system is ready to be seen.....in it's final form...ok almost. I would seem as though the Tower was the easy part. Harold, please tell us that (assuming the weather Gods are once again in our favor and shinning on Mothers Day weekend) that you will debet you new stuff at Spring Ride this year? If it's by chance the extra weight in the boat that has you concerned towing, I'd be happy to offer you my 7.3L turbo Diesel for the weekend. With 4K RMS of subs it will at least get you primed/teased by the time you get to the lake.
Ryan, awesome work as usual. Can't wait for Spring Ride this year "West Coast Style". Props to CIE.
Thanks Duane! Probably not gonna make it out to springride. Have a little one at home now and family time is top of the list right now. Thanks on the offer for your tow rig. I actually have a 7.3L as well, great engines : salute :
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-08-2010, 10:36 PM Reply   
Harold, thanks for the post up and congrats on the little one. You certainly have your priorities in order. Todd will be doing the same with his near 1 year old. Several here admiring what you've conceived and Ryan is putting together. Thanks for choosing NVS for the tower. BTW, at NVS we call that set up the "NVS 3-way"
My understanding is that it is extremely loud/clean/full range and does so effortlessly. Accousticaly speaking I really admire the decision to line up the W7's that way.

Nick, yeah it's been a long winter but I'm digg'n the sun that's been popping out more and more. Hope all is well with you. Spring Ride for you?
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-09-2010, 8:45 AM Reply   
I'm with Duane on admiring the ideas being put together on this boat. Great job to both Harold and Ryan. I'm assuming that you guys are using Zapco amps to power those tower speakers?

Also, from personal experience, Ryan is a pleasure to work with. I wish I could engage in such a project.

Duane-unfortunately, no Spring Ride for me. I need to finish up some stuff with my stereo and get it all tuned up before heading out to the lake. My tuning skills suck.
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-10-2010, 8:21 AM Reply   
First pic shows our starting point with this project.
Attached Images

Old     (grant_west)      Join Date: Jun 2005       04-10-2010, 9:23 AM Reply   
Ryan: The last 2 picture 's you posted could be the greatest 2 pictures ever posted on W/W. 2 of my fav thing's side by side Carbon Fiber and W7's.

Where's the rest of the system???? Lets see what you have been working on???

So far the system looks great as expected. Post up the rest of the pictures.
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-10-2010, 9:24 AM Reply   
Man that boat is gonna be obscenely loud! Whats the total system layout?
Old     (nvsairwarrior)      Join Date: Aug 2003       04-10-2010, 2:48 PM Reply   
Lets see if my basic formula is used in this system, which is: Power for Tower gets doubled for Sub power. Cabin mids ends up being 10-15% of Sub+Tower.
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       04-10-2010, 10:28 PM Reply   
Helped Ryan tune the system today.
One word that I can say that would explain my thoughts of what I saw and heard is.......
WOW
I am extremely happy with the results thus far. Not just with the quality of work in the carbon fiber and the installation but with the sound as well.
Ryan asked me to come out and check on everything and help tune the system before he started putting the finishing touches and to my surprise he had wiped down the entire boat. It was perfectly clean when I arrived. Who does that? I have never heard of a stereo shop cleaning a boat/car before the customer arrives just to inspect/listen to a work in progress.
I was very impressed.
Old     (ndavis03)      Join Date: Jul 2006       04-10-2010, 10:41 PM Reply   
That thing looks amazing, and I bet it sounds equally as good. But.......we still need more pics.
Old     (pdqwrx)      Join Date: Jul 2007       04-11-2010, 12:39 PM Reply   
Ryan and his team are the bomb!
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-11-2010, 1:42 PM Reply   
System layout:

Alpine ida-x100m
PPI-Par-650 1/2 DIN Equalizer
Zapco DSP-6 Digital Processor
(3) Zapco Reference 1100.1( to each tower enclosure )
(1) PPI Pcx 4125 Amplifier ( interior speakers )
(4) Orion XTR2400 Amplifiers ( to each W7 )
(6) JL Audio XR-650cx ( interior speakers )
(3) NVS Devient tower speakers
(6) AGM Batteries
Balmar alternator

Work involved:
Re-carpet sides of boat to clean up the surfaces from the prior systems installed .
Build Battery enclosures(2) in each locker and (2) in the bow
Build new flooring in the rear lockers to clean up holes in floor from the once removed ballast tanks
Change all factory speaker grill cloth from grey to black ( was just old and stained from years of use)
Installed Dakota Digital volt meter to monitor voltage on the stereo batteries
Installed Xantrex Trucharge2+40 (40 amp onboard 3 bank charger)
Built big A$$ box for customers W7's
Carbon trim panel for walk over and sub woofer face
Carbon NVS Devient Enclosures
Custom machined mounts for the Devient's to sit straight on the tower.
Painted All dash pieces ,EQ trim , Gauge trim ,Etc.....
Replace factory locations with JL Audio speakers
Custom built Devient grills (color matched to Dash and boat)
Attached Images

Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-11-2010, 1:50 PM Reply   
More build pics
Attached Images

Old     (99_slaunch)      Join Date: Oct 2005       04-11-2010, 4:08 PM Reply   
Very nice work guy's. That thing is going to be SICK when it's done!!
Old     (robertzapco)      Join Date: Apr 2009       04-12-2010, 7:42 AM Reply   
Great job once again Ryan. The carbon work is incredible. Some of the best I have seen. You and your Team over at Chucktronics have turned out another great sounding and looking project.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       04-12-2010, 10:07 AM Reply   
That Carbon work isunreal, cant wait to see the finished pics with all the interior back in.
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       04-12-2010, 10:46 AM Reply   
These pictures do not to this build service. I had an opportunity to go and meet Ryan (thanks Pip for the heads up) and see this boat.

First off, Ryan is a true professional. He took the time to answer my questions and explain in laymens terms what I needed to know. Second, this boat is just amazing. CF everywhere. The shine on those enclosures, inside a work shop, was still sparkling!

Better yet, the finish on these enclosures are ridonkulous!

Mario-
Old     (petrey10)      Join Date: Apr 2010       04-12-2010, 11:26 AM Reply   
now all you need is a rice burner can for your exhaust and your set!!...... haha just joking good work!
Old     (hatepain)      Join Date: Aug 2006       04-24-2010, 7:59 AM Reply   
Whats the story with the drivers on those deviants? There appears to be two different ones in each.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       04-24-2010, 9:04 AM Reply   
Looks like 1- true mid and one with the tweeter behind a mesh dust screen.
Old     (rebelman10)      Join Date: Jun 2009       04-24-2010, 9:37 AM Reply   
That is sweet! I think you will be in jail the first day out on the water. Game and fish officer's and PETA will be all over you!!
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       04-24-2010, 1:04 PM Reply   
Hate-

The one driver has an acoustically transparent dustcap with a rear mounted compression driver,while the other is strictly midbass with a standard dustcap
Old     (cprfab)      Join Date: Dec 2006       06-05-2010, 8:22 PM Reply   
I know this boat is done... WHERE'S THE PICS
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-07-2010, 8:43 AM Reply   
also really curious about how the deviants are holding up to that power. I'm really tempted to do a triple deviant setup, so am curious about your feelings after having had it running for awhile, is the third REALLY overkill or just really overkill, how do they handle that power, I was thinking of using the JL HD750.1's on each or possibly the Wetsounds Syn 2 bridged. Are you ready for more interior speakers? I cant' imagine 3 sets of 6.5 are able to keep up with those subs.
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       06-09-2010, 9:57 AM Reply   
The 3 deviants on the tower sound great. I couldnt be happier wit them. Still tuning the stereo and will try to tune it this weekend as we are planning on going out for the day on Saturday.
I have only have experience with the Zapco amps powering these deviants so I couldnt comment on the other amps your might be choosing. For how pleased I am with the setup I would only recommend these Zapco amps for this setup, I think it would put a smile on your face. LOL.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-09-2010, 10:05 PM Reply   
Harold, glad to see you getting back out on the water!

I'd be interested to see how a dual coax or dual mid-bass unit in the center would sound compared to the standard deviant in the center pod? Did you guys try any variants like this? Being extremely picky, I am a little curious how the offset center 3 channel system is tuned, might be some combing in the upper frequencies at the wakeboarders position.

What are you going to do for grills? I would like to see some custom painted NVS or carbon fiber liquid application grills. I'll probably see you at boat beats.
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-10-2010, 8:54 AM Reply   
Mike B -
The devients are obviously electrically overpowered by spec ,but as many have experienced ,power leads to reliability and clarity . Personally I would not run the 750/1 as a full range D cannot compare to a A/B . The Syn 2 bridged to each enclosure would be the next best choice and sometimes more practical depending on you installation and demands.

Mikeski-
We definitely talked about what to do with the center enclosure .in the end I swapped the drivers back and forth and could hear no audible difference .Swapping the outer ones definitely created a different sound . The Zapco EQ has the ability to implement high and low shelving on the parametric portion of the EQ helping with taming the hlcd. Running things in a mono configuration can help reduce the amount of "combing" needed as the sound from the tower and each enclosure is synonymous with each other .

The grills that came with the devients were slightly off in cosmetics from where my customers envision was ,,.........so.
We took the grills and machined them down to the o.d that we desired and then machined fiberglass rings to regain the elevation of the grill over the surround of the speaker.Then Harrold worked his Auto Body Magic and painted to match all the dash and trim panels that we removed and painted
Old     (mlb75)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-16-2010, 7:54 AM Reply   
Thanks for the input and explanations. Now you got me thinking though about swapping drivers around, you mentioned that swapping the outside drivers made a difference so what did you do? I would guess swap so that the coax driver was either inside or outside on both sides, am I correct? I also wonder now how it would sound with two coax or two mid base on the center. I know adding the set of MB8's to my Pro80's really helped even things out..
Old     (guido)      Join Date: Jul 2002       06-16-2010, 10:22 AM Reply   
Zapco's on NVS' is where it's at. Boat looks great guys.
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-21-2010, 3:29 PM Reply   
Checked this boat out at Bump... Amazing is the only word that comes to mind. Tower sounds great!
Old     (shawnmdarnell)      Join Date: Feb 2003       06-21-2010, 8:16 PM Reply   
The NVS website has been getting some hits from me the last couple of nights, that tower is the best setup i have heard in a long time!
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       06-21-2010, 8:53 PM Reply   
Wallpaper! lol (inside joke)

Ryan that was a sick set up, looked great and sounded even better.

I liked the light show on your boat too! Hopefully somebody took some night pics!
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       06-24-2010, 3:20 PM Reply   
You guys dont like Carbon Fiber Wallpaper?
Old     (chucktronics)      Join Date: Nov 2007       06-24-2010, 10:50 PM Reply   
The pics of the finished grills are on the bump pic thread. we were pretty happy with the end look and sound . I prefer blue flame wallpaper that goes on the side of the boat!!.........haha

Shawn - your boat looked sick bro!
Old     (mendo247)      Join Date: Mar 2005       07-06-2010, 4:56 PM Reply   
What do you guys think of the Balmar set-up? Worth the money?
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       07-06-2010, 5:03 PM Reply   
I really like the Balmar setup its been working well. The temperature sensor built into the electronic regulator is what was the deciding factor for me. Previous to this setup I fried a 150 amp alternator. Once the balmar heats up it will reduce output charge so it doesnt burn itself up.
Old     (2006maliblue)      Join Date: Mar 2009       07-06-2010, 8:20 PM Reply   
"I prefer blue flame wallpaper that goes on the side of the boat!"

Nice Ryan

Got it at Wal-Mart in the arts and crafts section! lol
Old     (peterc4)      Join Date: Aug 2005       07-08-2010, 10:27 PM Reply   
Harold I had no idea you had that impressive of a system. Looks incredible. I'd love to see it sometime. I'm going to try to get up to see Chuck next week.
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       07-09-2010, 10:42 AM Reply   
Peter- Thanks!
Whats going on bro? You will not be dissappointed with Ryan@Chucktronics! He did a great job on my boat and I couldnt be happier with his quality and service
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       05-02-2012, 10:04 PM Reply   
sorry for the delay.....finally got the boat out of the garage and had a chance to take some pics

Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       05-02-2012, 10:06 PM Reply   
Old     (wikd281)      Join Date: May 2002       05-02-2012, 10:07 PM Reply