Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 09, 2008

Old     (joshuag)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-06-2008, 4:18 PM Reply   
Well i have decided that it is time to get my boat back out on the lake. I had my boat winterized by the dealer but i was hoping to start taking over this process of winterizing and dewinterizing to save a few $. Does anyone know the dewinterizing process? What needs to be done and what should be checked? Any info would help and just for the record i did a search and didn't find any how-to's. Thanks alot

Josh
Old    nwwakerider            04-06-2008, 6:12 PM Reply   
i just make sure all the hoses are tight, and hook up the fake a lake and flush out the engine. always worked for me.
Old     (trdon)      Join Date: Sep 2007       04-06-2008, 6:21 PM Reply   
ditto, turn key, start up run to clean out and make sure all is go and take it to the lake :-)
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-06-2008, 6:40 PM Reply   
it all depends on what your dealer did when it was winterized. I would suggest changing the fuel filter as well if it has not already been done.
Old    kidrik            04-06-2008, 8:09 PM Reply   
........by moving to Cali...
Old     (joshuag)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-06-2008, 8:16 PM Reply   
Okay this sounds like a piece of cake! So basically make sure all the hoses are tight, change the fuel filter, and then hook up a hose to the boat and flush out the motor for a few minutes. Thats it right? Should the motor be running when flushing out the motor? Just curious what is involved when they normally winterize our boats? Thanks alot for your help!!!

Josh
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       04-06-2008, 8:46 PM Reply   
some dealers just flush with antifreze. Some will remove block plugs, disconnect hoses, remove impeller,etc. It may not be as simple as flushing your engine. Also, if your impeller was not removed I would suggest replacing it as well. They have a tendency to dry rot over the winter if not removed and lubricated.

I always tell people. If you have to ask, let your dealer do it.

(Message edited by jon_a on April 06, 2008)
Old     (bmartin)      Join Date: Jan 2007       04-07-2008, 9:04 AM Reply   
Here are some things I do before I turn the ignition key the first time of the season. Charge and install battery, check electronics, clean boat, make sure all your engine drain plugs (petcocks) are in and tight and inspect hoses / belts.

Early in the season after a couple of rides, I will change fuel filter, oil / oil filter, and impeller. You could do the fuel filter and impeller right off the bat, but you will need to run your engine to warm up the oil before you can change it.
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       04-07-2008, 10:32 AM Reply   
You need to ask what your dealer what they did when they winterized it. I have to agree with jon_a to let your dealer do it.

Lots of the things people are telling you to do should of been done when they winterized it.
Old     (noti_dad)      Join Date: Jul 2003       04-07-2008, 11:23 AM Reply   
I'd check with your dealer as to what they did and what you should do. My dealer winterizes mine but told me that all I need to do is screw on the water filter and start it up. After running it for 5 mins @ 2500 rms to get water through everrything, I'm good.

All that said I do run it in the driveway with the hose to make sure everything is tight and there's no leaks.