Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-03-2013, 1:05 PM Reply   
My dad is probably gonna upgrade our Tahoe boat this year. My brother and I convinced him unto getting a wakeboard boat, as long as it: 1) can have a table in it for wine/cheese, etc. 2) is good for a cruise around the lake to a resteraunt or something 3) the front of the boat is pretty far out of the water so it doesn't get swamped, etc.

Right now my whole family waterskis alot and wakeboards. We also wakesurf a little (will do more-so if we get a wakeboard boat). Which boat do you think would fit us better? We like the axis price (a little cheaper, and financing deals are better) and honestly the boat all-around, however my dad is a little worried about the front of the boat swamping, for it looks pretty low to the water from pics. Oh, and does anyone by chance know the term for the distance from the top of the bow to the water?

We will be towing it behind a 2011 mercedes m-class, unless we get it delievered to our lake house. Oh, and it will be on a 4500lb boat lift so it can't exceed that.

Which boat is best?
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-03-2013, 1:22 PM Reply   
IMO A22 all day. Can't beat that wake for the money point blank period. Any wakeboat can/will dip. Some worse than others. I've never taken water over the A22 bow but been close. It's all about the driver. Test drive both and make your decisions there. Weight each boat on the demo the way you would if you were going to ride the boat 365 days a year. Stock wakes are just okay. You really see wakes get really meaty and see what they are about with extra weight. If I were in your shoes the A22 would be my choice.
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-03-2013, 1:32 PM Reply   
Chase is right..Axis is tough to beat for the money. But depending on dealer price the Moomba might be pretty close price wise. We looked at both last year and A22 is way bigger.

As to the lift, both boats will be too much for a 4500 In my opinion. Axis claims 3600 and Moomba 3800. Pretty safe to add 600-800 lbs to that for actual with fuel, options gear etc. Your gonna have 0 wiggle room on a 4500 lift and probably be overloaded. I am in the process of buying a 5000 lb lift my 20 footer with a dry weight of 3200 lbs, that on a certified scale is a hair short of 3900. That was "just bought it empty"(nothing but 1 battery) with 1/4 of fuel.
Old     (psudy)      Join Date: Dec 2003       06-03-2013, 1:35 PM Reply   
Stop surfing behind the IO.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-03-2013, 1:43 PM Reply   
Having demoed both here is my take

For what you are looking for, the Mobius LSV would win out. Again this is for YOUR situation.
Your dad and others are concerned with lounging, cruising, dunking the nose and ride. Hands down without a question the LSV will win in all those categories. It was revamped for 2013 with an entire new top deck. It is very deep inside, with the adjustable wakeplate you can change the angle of how it rides while cruising much like the trim on the I/O. The wakeboard wake is average. You will get a bit better ski wake again due to the hull shape and wakeplate option. Quality wise both are equal with great power plants.

The Axis will have a better wakeboard wake It has huge potential, however you will loose that "lounge" feel and the rough water cruising ride. The rear cockpit is deep on the axis as well, but the bow is not the same. The bow area while huge due to the small pickle fork design on the Axis, isn't very deep comparatively speaking to the LSV. There is much less freeboard/gunwale next to you while sitting in the bow. Being that cruising will most likely result in people sitting in the bow on rides this may present a concern. The ski wake isn't much to brag about and I would say the surf wake from my minimal exposure for each is pretty close to identical.

There is no term that i can think of for the distance related to the bow specifically However freeboard is commonly used to describe the distance from the water to the top of the deck. This is usually measured in the back tho as its the deepest part. Not at the bow. Gunwale is also a similar term referring to the top edge of the deck. The Mobious LSV without a doubt has a much higher bow while in the water.

In a quick glance the Axis would be better if you were strictly concerned about wakeboard and surf performance, but since skiing, cruising, lounging, and freeboard are of main concerns as well the LSV wins out in this case imo.

Last edited by xstarrider; 06-03-2013 at 1:45 PM.
Old     (xstarrider)      Join Date: Jun 2007       06-03-2013, 1:45 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by psudy View Post
stop surfing behind the io.
for sure
Old     (ajf4242)      Join Date: Aug 2008       06-03-2013, 1:46 PM Reply   
I had a Supra 22 footer for a few years then rode behind the A22 and was sold. Of course the fit and finish wasn't as "plush" as some people like to have, but it's all I ever need. I noticed every Skier's Choice boat I've been behind is kind of "finicky" on side to side weight. It was always a pain to have people sitting in the right spot to have a great wakeboard wake. I have a 2011 A22. I don't have the new platform, but in all honesty you can still surf and do a lot tricks behind it. I can ski a slalom ski course behind the a22 as well. Given it's not the best wake to slalom behind, but you can do it. I don't think theres a boat out there that's better than the A22 for the price. You don't have to worry about all those electronic touch screens going out and it's pretty simplistic. If i were looking to buy another boat today I would still buy the A22. . . the only wake that's better in my opinion is the G23. . .
Old     (polarbill)      Join Date: Jun 2003       06-03-2013, 1:53 PM Reply   
Is the mojo much more expensive than the Axis A22 or mobius LSV? There is only a 100 pound difference between the LSV and mojo according to the mooomba website but the mojo is a full foot longer and is also wider. Isn't the hull of the Mojo a different design than the LSV and a better wakeboard and surf boat?
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-03-2013, 1:56 PM Reply   
Surfing behind an IO isn't that dangerous. I guess picking up rider with a short line could be, but the wave on an IO is much further back than an inboard. Your not going to fall on the prop. My dad did it through the 70s and 80s and I have even done it a few times on a longboard.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-03-2013, 1:58 PM Reply   
Wow^^ Tahoe is a ocean with waters cold enough for hyperthermia to set in within minutes so better go with a high freeboard for sure.
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-03-2013, 2:22 PM Reply   
Why Wow? People have surfed outboards since the 50s.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-03-2013, 2:36 PM Reply   
Oh **** my post came up late. I was talking bout a22 g23 comparison
Old     (skiboarder)      Join Date: Oct 2006       06-03-2013, 2:38 PM Reply   
Actually, I'm going to back out of this one. I'm not really a surfer nor do I care that much. A quick search showed this a huge deal in the wakesurf world. I don't think I could convince anyone of anything.
Old     (redsupralaunch)      Join Date: Aug 2002       06-03-2013, 2:48 PM Reply   
The new ' 13 Moomba LSV is very deep and dry ride on bow of the boat. It will be a great choice for what you want.

Wakesurfing behind I/O is dangerous. This is why the entire Water Sports Industry Association which is made up of board manufactures and boat companies has lobbied hard to outlaw wakesurfing behind outboard or I/O and recommends inboard or V-drive to wakesurf. Im proud that Indiana was the first state to pass such law.
Old     (Dmac420sj)      Join Date: Mar 2012       06-03-2013, 2:51 PM Reply   
If your scared go to church!
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-03-2013, 4:01 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16igordon View Post
My dad is probably gonna upgrade our Tahoe boat this year. My brother and I convinced him unto getting a wakeboard boat, as long as it: 1) can have a table in it for wine/cheese, etc. 2) is good for a cruise around the lake to a resteraunt or something 3) the front of the boat is pretty far out of the water so it doesn't get swamped, etc.

Right now my whole family waterskis alot and wakeboards. We also wakesurf a little (will do more-so if we get a wakeboard boat). Which boat do you think would fit us better? We like the axis price (a little cheaper, and financing deals are better) and honestly the boat all-around, however my dad is a little worried about the front of the boat swamping, for it looks pretty low to the water from pics. Oh, and does anyone by chance know the term for the distance from the top of the bow to the water?

We will be towing it behind a 2011 mercedes m-class, unless we get it delievered to our lake house. Oh, and it will be on a 4500lb boat lift so it can't exceed that.

Which boat is best?
Post pictures of you wakesurfing your Tahoe.
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-03-2013, 5:07 PM Reply   
Thanks for all the opinions....and for all those asking about the wakesurfing:

I wouldn't actually call it "wakesurfing" for what we currently do. It's definitely a failed attempt, but it is something. I found a few pics...but how do I post them? This is my first time on a forum...so sorry about that!
Old    Axis22            06-04-2013, 3:49 AM Reply   

Throw this 1100 sack in the A22 and you will get a wake of the G23!!!
Old     (16igordon)      Join Date: Jun 2013       06-04-2013, 4:49 AM Reply   
Couldn't find any good pics, so I took a few screenshots of a video. This definitely isn't legitimate wakesurfing, but its an alternative with an i/o. Didn't have a picture of when we let go of the rope....but in the pictures you can see how the rope has slack, otherwise the fact that we aren't necessary relying on the rope to pull us.
Attached Images

Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-04-2013, 5:09 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axis22 View Post

Yea.......
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-04-2013, 5:58 AM Reply   
Seth, I would like to know more about your steup. Just went and started to look at an A22 myself. Questions What motor, prop, and weight are you running. Do you have any wake pics of the wake with a certain setup? If I was looking at a new A22 what are the things that I should be looking for added options etc....?

This is the best Axis wake I have seen just dont know the setup, but it makes me drool each time I see it.

Old    Axis22            06-04-2013, 7:44 AM Reply   
Ok here it is center hard tank 500 lb rear hard tanks full 250 lb x2 also 450lb plug n play in rear lockers each side. Under bow seat 1000 lb plug n play. 1100 lb in center of lounge seating auto set wedge down high altitude prop with the indmar 5.7 liter engine
Old     (jperkinsttu)      Join Date: Mar 2008       06-04-2013, 7:51 AM Reply   
I think you just sold mark a new axis haha
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-04-2013, 8:32 AM Reply   
Seth, you don't add any extra weight in your bow?

Instead of that 1100 on the floor like you do, I put a 400 in the hallway, a 400 across the bow and a third 400 on the floor. I have 750s in the lockers though also instead of the 400s.

Here's a picture with a single 750 in the bow before I switched to two 400s:

Here's the wake:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgfC6sJIq8w
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-04-2013, 9:01 AM Reply   
Quote:
Ok here it is center hard tank 500 lb rear hard tanks full 250 lb x2 also 450lb plug n play in rear lockers each side. Under bow seat 1000 lb plug n play. 1100 lb in center of lounge seating auto set wedge down high altitude prop with the indmar 5.7 liter engine

Seth
Thanks for all the info. You have the 5.7 is that the 330 or the 350?

Seth and or Sheldon
What speed and line length do you ride?

Jarrod
He just might have. Guess I might end up being your guinea pig.
Old    Axis22            06-04-2013, 10:38 AM Reply   
Is the 330 motor not the corvette motor and yes I do throw a 250 sac in the bow to help it plan out faster. The only time I set the boat up with that much weight is when my friend who is a pro rider comes out to board with us he is the one who said the axis with all that weight throws as steep of a wake as a G23 and we all know how much the G23 cost $$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-04-2013, 10:49 AM Reply   
Thanks for all the info. They are currently offering 4 motor options and I had heard that the 330 might not be my best bet but I wanted more opinions than just that. I was considering getting the 350 if I was pushing the limits of the 330. I know the 409 would work just not sure I can justify the expense.

Motors options as I understand them.
330 5.7
350 5.7
409 6.0
427 6.2 this is the LS3 corvette motor
527 6.2 this is the CTS-V motor
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-04-2013, 11:00 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyBunch View Post

Seth and or Sheldon
What speed and line length do you ride?
The boys riding with that weight are 75-80' and 25-25.6mph
Old     (Fiveflat)      Join Date: Sep 2010       06-04-2013, 11:03 AM Reply   
Mark, I don't think they're offering that CTS-V motor in the Axis boats are they? Only the 450hp LS3 as far as I know.
Old    Axis22            06-04-2013, 11:22 AM Reply   
Mark now that I think about it I have the 350 motor. When The pro who rides for SMG wake rides with us and we have all the weight in the boat we run a 75ft rope at 24.5 mph. I also herd that Axis is coming out next year with a A24 that will have the surf gate system on it, but that would drive the price up closer to 70k
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-04-2013, 11:36 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiveflat View Post
Mark, I don't think they're offering that CTS-V motor in the Axis boats are they? Only the 450hp LS3 as far as I know.

Sheldon I pulled those from Indmar here.

http://www.indmar.com/Engine/Axis/Monsoon330ss.aspx

but Axis does not list that motor so I have no clue if you can get it or not.
Old     (FunkyBunch)      Join Date: Jun 2011       06-04-2013, 11:38 AM Reply   
Quote:
Mark now that I think about it I have the 350 motor. When The pro who rides for SMG wake rides with us and we have all the weight in the boat we run a 75ft rope at 24.5 mph. I also herd that Axis is coming out next year with a A24 that will have the surf gate system on it, but that would drive the price up closer to 70k

I was kinda figuring the surf gate was coming for the Axis line. Currently don't do much if any surfing but I can say that I have thought about it. A 24 foot boat is just not feasible for me right now, I would really like to get the boat in the garage when we decide to get a new home.

Again thanks for the information hijack over
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-05-2013, 7:16 AM Reply   
This is behind my buddy's Axis A22 yesterday. The wedge was down and no ballast. About 600lbs of people, beer, and gear. I hope the pic helps your decision. Rope length was 70ft and the rider is about 5'10 on a wakeskate. Speed was 22 mph.
Attached Images

Last edited by dezul; 06-05-2013 at 7:18 AM. Reason: added more info
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-05-2013, 8:37 AM Reply   
^ Looks awesome!
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-05-2013, 1:49 PM Reply   
I have the standard motor with the 15x12 prop and can run enough weight for my buddy to do heel and toe 9s wake to wake and move 5s so I think the wake is big enough. I usually pump a little out or myself and I am a decent rider as well. IMO there is no reason to get the bigger motor in the a22 unless you want to go with a higher prop and maintain some top speed. I run 1100s in the rear factory 950 mushroom sack and now triangle with wedge and it can pull it all up with 4 people in the boat. The torque curve on the 335, 6,0 and 6.2 are actually pretty identical to about 4800 Rpms so I'm not sure if the advantage is even usable
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-05-2013, 1:50 PM Reply   
^amd with this setup I am only running like 3800 rpms
Old     (dezul)      Join Date: Jul 2012       06-05-2013, 7:03 PM Reply   
I have a centurion and i am already checking into trading up to an axis. I couldnt afford one two summers ago but with some recent finacial changes, i see one in my future for next summer.
Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-05-2013, 11:55 PM Reply   
Shot of my wake
Attached Images

Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-05-2013, 11:56 PM Reply   
Another
Attached Images

Old     (superair502)      Join Date: Mar 2010       06-05-2013, 11:57 PM Reply   
And another
Attached Images

Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-07-2013, 7:43 PM Reply   
Quote:

Seth there is 2 problems with this

The a22 is not even close to. G23, the g23 wake eats small children and their parents for breakfast. And their dog or cat for desert, nevermind a dumped one which I can tell you from experience is a brutally massive wake.

The second is TAKE YOUR BOARD SHORTS OFF
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-07-2013, 8:01 PM Reply   
I vote leave the board shorts ON...nobody wants to see your junk bulging out of your wetsuit...
Old     (Nordicron)      Join Date: Aug 2011       06-07-2013, 8:30 PM Reply   
Yeah if a dude must wear a shorty suit they must wear board shorts over top! Only applies to guys as girls look hot in shorty suits!
Old     (simplej)      Join Date: Sep 2011       06-08-2013, 4:10 AM Reply   
Shorty yes, please wear shorts. Full suit though....
Would you wear shorts over your jeans? In public? On a weekend? With females present? Without blushing?
It's pretty much the same thing.

And I know wakeboarding is exciting but I would hope that you could keep your junk from bulging out of your wetsuit...
Unless there is a girl present wearing a shorty suit.
I'll leave you with this parting gift to go with my logic.
I wonder what she would think of board shorts over your full suit
Attached Images

Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-08-2013, 5:04 AM Reply   
Ok, so next time you go to the bar or out to eat wear your wetsuit. Because its the same thing. Right?
Old     (tn_rider)      Join Date: Dec 2009       06-08-2013, 5:05 AM Reply   
Btw she's hawwwwwt
Old     (wakebordr11)      Join Date: May 2001       06-08-2013, 1:49 PM Reply   
Gotta bump this up. That's one of the most amazing things I've ever seen