Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Non-Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-19-2013, 12:02 PM Reply   
Anyone running Ubuntu? Thinking of converting my Windows Server. Thoughts?
Old     (fly135)      Join Date: Jun 2004       02-19-2013, 12:21 PM Reply   
I use it for cross compiling apps for embedded Linux devices. It's a useable platform. I still prefer Windows because of apps I use.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-19-2013, 12:22 PM Reply   
Use it as my main workstation at work everyday
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-19-2013, 12:30 PM Reply   
Anyone using VMware to run dual OS's? Or is there a better open source option?

New to this whole area - sorry about the Noob questions.
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-19-2013, 2:44 PM Reply   
We have two servers running Ubuntu for web and Mysql databases. Just loaded a laptop with it a couple of weeks ago and up to this point I have been pleased. Not found anything I have been unable to do because I was running Ubuntu. Now figuring out a few things took some time by reading and feeling my way through them. But no complaints from me and its feels good to know I'm not stuffing MS pockets.

We are a huge VMware shop, I don't feel you could go wrong using it to run both. Being able to snapshot and role back if you screw something up is very nice.
Old     (boardjnky4)      Join Date: Dec 2011       02-19-2013, 3:02 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by phatboypimp View Post
Anyone using VMware to run dual OS's? Or is there a better open source option?

New to this whole area - sorry about the Noob questions.
Oracle VirualBox
Old    bigdtx            02-20-2013, 6:06 AM Reply   
I have been running Ubuntu on my workstation for the past 5 years. I love it. Nothing I can't do with it. I don't play video games and if there is something that absolutely requires Windows I have an instance of XP and Win7 installed in virtualbox. Whenever I have to use Windows now it just feels old.

Here is what you're missing:

Old     (pesos)      Join Date: Oct 2001 Location: Texas       02-20-2013, 7:14 AM Reply   
I run Windows 8 as my primary OS and then virtualize all the others using Hyper-V which is built right in.
Old     (bcoppinger)      Join Date: Sep 2002       02-20-2013, 11:41 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdtx View Post
I have been running Ubuntu on my workstation for the past 5 years. I love it. Nothing I can't do with it. I don't play video games and if there is something that absolutely requires Windows I have an instance of XP and Win7 installed in virtualbox. Whenever I have to use Windows now it just feels old.

Here is what you're missing:

That's a slick desktop setup. Might have to play around with that sooner than later.
Old     (shawndoggy)      Join Date: Nov 2009       02-20-2013, 12:10 PM Reply   
I haven't played with linux for a couple of years but I've always found that it's 95% of what I need, but that the last 5% requires deep command line understanding of linux which I don't have and I get frustrated. It gets better and better, but there is still quite a bit of contempt out there for casual linux users who never want to go to a terminal window.

While not quite as graphically slick I've been much happier running OSX.
Old     (phatboypimp)      Join Date: Apr 2005       02-21-2013, 9:51 AM Reply   
Thank you for the feedback guys - this is really helpful. I think I am going to go the VMware route as I have never done that before. This is more of a project/entertainment for me as I don't really use this server anymore. I want to play around with some opensource tools.
Old     (cadunkle)      Join Date: Jul 2009 Location: NJ       02-21-2013, 12:30 PM Reply   
I run Ubuntu in VirtualBox on my Win7 desktop. I use it from time to time for mundane daily tasks or tinkering with. I'm not a linux guy but I try to familiarize myself with it for certain things. I've done some projects (personal) using Ubuntu to run MySQL DB and a web front end. At work it's pretty much a MS shop so I work almost entirely with Windows based systems.