Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-27-2013, 1:21 PM Reply   
I am looking for a gauge face type bottom machine that reads both speed and temperature. i having trouble finding a unit that offers an through hull transducer option.
I there one i am missing? Thanks.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-27-2013, 1:24 PM Reply   
Never mind. Faria
thanks
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-27-2013, 1:42 PM Reply   
If you want speed it has to have a paddle wheel and will have to be outside the hull. If you want temp or speed you have to be outside. Only the depth function(sonar) can shoot a beam thru the glass. FYI speed on depth finders is not accurate.

I have also never seen a gauge face type that has speed. Just the bigger graph/ hummingbird style.
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-27-2013, 1:53 PM Reply   
The whole post was a screw up. All I actually wanted was depth and temp but my fingers typed speed and my eyeballs never noticed.
I did just order an Elcheepo Hawkeye unit for 120 clams off Amazon that does depth and temp. We will see how it works. I wanted a nice Lowrance unit but they dont offer a through hull for the LST3800. I cant bring myself to screw a ducer onto the transom of my Nautique. I guess Ill put a year on the Hawkeye and report my findings back next winter..
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-27-2013, 2:32 PM Reply   
If you are mounting the transducer inside the hull(shooting thru) the temp function will not work. You have to have the bolt thru transducer to get the temp function(like a perfect pass transducer) as it has to be in the water. I'd rather hang it off the back then drill that big hole in the bottom of the hull!
Old     (baitkiller)      Join Date: Jan 2010       02-27-2013, 2:39 PM Reply   
Thanks.
Old     (tx_foilhead)      Join Date: Apr 2009       02-27-2013, 4:02 PM Reply   
Faria makes a nice one, the temp sensors have to be mounted in different locations from the transducer which is siliconed in. I put my air temp in air vent in front of the windshield and the water temp replaced the unused speedo hardware was replaced with the PP.
Old     (NotSure123)      Join Date: Nov 2012       02-27-2013, 5:43 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tx_foilhead View Post
Faria makes a nice one, the temp sensors have to be mounted in different locations from the transducer which is siliconed in. I put my air temp in air vent in front of the windshield and the water temp replaced the unused speedo hardware was replaced with the PP.
I was looking at that one as well, Is there any other place to mount the temp sensor aside from the transom? I don't want to drill a hole and have that ugly line back there. I was thinking of mounting it inside the raw water intake grate or somewhere in that hose before the engine? Not sure how it would stay in there though...most likely be a ghetto setup as well...
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       02-27-2013, 6:20 PM Reply   
I suppose you could mount it in there. But you have to seal it in there somehow or you will have a leak....inside the boat!
Old     (NotSure123)      Join Date: Nov 2012       02-28-2013, 8:31 PM Reply   
Ya...when I finally get to bring it out to see the light of day again I'll figure something out....I'm determined not to drill a hole back there!