Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-11-2011, 9:40 AM Reply   
I had a chance to play with our new 2012 demo this weekend, I was very pleased with the surf wake, we added some weight and still had tons of room to add more out of sight.
Attached Images

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-11-2011, 9:46 AM Reply   
How much weight were you running?
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-11-2011, 10:16 AM Reply   
about a third (300) starbord factory ballast tank, full port (900) FBT, maybe another 600 sacs port, 3 skinny chicks, one skinny dude, one fat bastard (me)
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-11-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
What was the trim tab set to? That wake looks monstrous!

How fast were you going?

m-
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-11-2011, 12:53 PM Reply   
10.8 mph, the trim tab is off or all the way up and has no effect, we use it a little on the goofy side, or we did on our last 2011 Tomcat, we have not "goofed" on the 2012 yet, yes Mario...the wake is very good, better than my Avy(22ft) with or without the switchblade, and very close to my Supreme V226 (22.5ft and 2 inches wider) with less weight is the best part. We used to have four sacs plus factory in the Avy and the 226 and that made us put 2 sacs in a L shape on the seats, Not the case for the 21ft Tomcat.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-11-2011, 1:18 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surffresh View Post
better than my Avy(22ft) with or without the switchblade, and very close to my Supreme V226 (22.5ft and 2 inches wider) with less weight is the best part. We used to have four sacs plus factory in the Avy and the 226 and that made us put 2 sacs in a L shape on the seats, Not the case for the 21ft Tomcat.
You must have written this with your "dealer" glasses on. The funny thing was I was about to ask you if you think you are going to be able to clean that wave up (actually hoping that you are going to tell me it was very windy). I really like the MB and would definitely consider it when I get my next boat. But the wave in this thread is not even close to being as clean as my Avy and pics I have seen of a 226 wave. Also if you use to have to run 4 sacs in your Avy on the seats, you must have been sinking the boat or not running much weight in your back locker. You can run 1,600lbs custom sacs under the seats in an Avy.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-11-2011, 2:11 PM Reply   
well here is a pic of my Avy wave, I am not overly concerned with cleanness, at 215lbs push is most important for me, if clean is your thing, you cannot beat the V226, and I just happen to have a deal on one (2011) The wife and I have decided that the MB is the one for us.
Attached Images

Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-11-2011, 2:44 PM Reply   
Well, I see your problem right there, you need to stop wakesurfing sideways down waterfalls. Try the bottom part of the lake, its much easier.

;-)
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-11-2011, 2:46 PM Reply   
Surffresh,
Do the new MB boats have bow ballast, or just the two large rear/side tanks?

As my wife rides goofy, we've considered an MB in the future and we have a dealer close by - which is a critical requirement for our needs

Any other significant changes between the 2011 & 2012 models?
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-11-2011, 3:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by surffresh View Post
The wife and I have decided that the MB is the one for us.
That is great and all that really matters. MB really looks like they are making a great boat with the right options.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-11-2011, 3:40 PM Reply   
Squeaky... the changes from 2011 to 2012 are dramatic, cosmetic and functional. Some of the big changes would be...drop in carpet vs. glued in,for 2012 MB added a floor drain, storage / warming bins or trays over the engine and transmition and the trans / oil filter area is much more accesable, the new drivers seat and footwell have a real finished look and feel, Wet Sounds stereo is now standard, I feel like it's the old saying..you get what ya pay for, so you should expect to pay 5k more for a 2012..especially with metal flake graphics , @ Rag Boy...ya ya I have no idea how I lived through that or what caused it, hope all is well w u
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-11-2011, 7:35 PM Reply   
yep, all is good.
Old     (newwhit)      Join Date: Mar 2007       07-12-2011, 10:55 AM Reply   
how does that extra sack fill? i dont think you can "plug n play" do you just use an external pump?

i am loving these mb boats more and more!!!
Old     (diamonddad)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-12-2011, 12:01 PM Reply   
What board is that white board? It looks sweet. Do you like it?
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-12-2011, 12:28 PM Reply   
looks like an Inland Black Pearl ?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-12-2011, 11:31 PM Reply   
Is the F23 any better or worse than the 21? Only mb wake I have seen is the B52 of Daryl and Alec Wood.
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-13-2011, 8:55 AM Reply   
I wanna see someone put some real weight in one of these. Say 1500 ontop of the stock tank, they are super tall and safe boats, plus maybe with the wakeplate it could have a world class wave.
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-13-2011, 10:24 AM Reply   
Agree. The only thing, is that I was looking at some pictures last night, and noticed the sides of the boat are steep like the Epic. Was wondering if this boat would have that super steep wake with no transition like the epic, or not. Dennis and I were hypothesizing the other day about boats with steep sides, and how the wake is made from the side of the boat. But just mostly guessing. I would def love to see one weighted down and surfed well.
Old     (mdaijogo)      Join Date: Mar 2010       07-13-2011, 10:55 AM Reply   
I hope to try weighting my boat down. Had to return the sacs I was borrowing to my cousin. Not sure if I can find a 1500lb sac though. There are some nice surf wakes being made by the F21/TWB that were posted on the MB Boat Owners forum.

m-
Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-13-2011, 11:33 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
Agree. The only thing, is that I was looking at some pictures last night, and noticed the sides of the boat are steep like the Epic. Was wondering if this boat would have that super steep wake with no transition like the epic, or not. Dennis and I were hypothesizing the other day about boats with steep sides, and how the wake is made from the side of the boat. But just mostly guessing. I would def love to see one weighted down and surfed well.
I think the tomcat and other MB's have a better angle then the epic. Someone needs to put an enzo ish sac in one and see what happens.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-13-2011, 11:39 AM Reply   
above, for now Tsunami pump and sacs, @ragboy and Duffy...I have do not experience with a F23..it's huge 23.5 and 104" wide and I bet it could take some weight, I am going easy on my demo until I get it fully broken in, it should be fun loadin it up when I get to that point. so far so good !
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       07-13-2011, 12:34 PM Reply   
someone needs to get serious with the new B52 23 Widebody, with just some pop bags and stock ballast the surf wake on that is really good.
Old     (lakesurfer)      Join Date: Jul 2009       07-13-2011, 12:34 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by duffymahoney View Post
I wanna see someone put some real weight in one of these. Say 1500 ontop of the stock tank, they are super tall and safe boats, plus maybe with the wakeplate it could have a world class wave.
x2: I really want to see someone really try to dial this boat in. It looks like it has a lot of potential and I like what MB is offering.

Surffresh: quick question: With the way the current ballast system is built, can you still drill a thru-hull in the bottom to add pumps for extra sacs (ie: build a plug n play system like a Centurion/Supra/MC).
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-13-2011, 1:04 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragboy View Post
I would think its more about running attitude than the shape of the sides. ie stern down nose up = steep and short, nose down & more hull in water = flatter longer wave. Also guessing tho......
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-13-2011, 1:07 PM Reply   
y, but guessing and testing, thats the whole fun part, right?
Old     (ralph)      Join Date: Apr 2002       07-13-2011, 7:25 PM Reply   
For sure!
Old     (Cipher)      Join Date: Jun 2011       07-14-2011, 12:24 PM Reply   
Personally, the "whole fun part" for me is actually getting on a board and surfing rather than playing with ballast and speculating about boats based upon pictures. But I digress...

This as as serious as we've gotten with the MB B52 TWB 23:

Stock ballast tanks full
1 750 lb sac in regular rear locker (still room on top for more even ballast, custom Enzo style sac in the works)
1 300lb sac underneath the seats
200Lb lead in the gap between sac and battery boxes (this area to be filled by custom sac as well)
600ish lbs in front via V bow sac
175 lb driver
200lbs of kids in the nose
2 adults and two teens sitting on the regular side.

Old     (duffymahoney)      Join Date: Sep 2008       07-14-2011, 12:38 PM Reply   
Very very nice!
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       07-14-2011, 1:12 PM Reply   
Ditto.
Old     (TheSqueakyWheel)      Join Date: Oct 2010       07-14-2011, 1:47 PM Reply   
Yeah, wave looks amazing.
We'll be seriously looking at a MB in a year or two to replace my Supra. The dealer is local and my wife is goofy - the appeal of a quick ballast fill is sooooo tempting, particularly when the wave looks that good.
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-19-2011, 7:02 AM Reply   
@ lakesurfer, I am sure it can be done (drill, add pumps n Enzo like sacs) The only problem is that the boat I have is for sale and I am not sure that a potential buyer would want that on it or what it would do to the value or if I could expect to recover the cost. I am loving the look of the 23 TWB's wave, I will be ordering one soon !
Old     (gracenface)      Join Date: Oct 2010       06-10-2012, 12:45 PM Reply   
lets see that goofy side wave! is the regular side looking better than the goofy?
Old     (ragboy)      Join Date: Aug 2007       06-10-2012, 12:59 PM Reply   
Def a good looking wake, nice and clean.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-10-2012, 4:32 PM Reply   
Here are some photos of my goofy wave. I forget what ballast set-up I had, but this set-up made a nice wave. Drew have you figured out how to get rid of the droplets that spray on you on the port side?
Attached Images

Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-10-2012, 4:41 PM Reply   
Here is a surfboard view via go pro.
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=...type=3&theater
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-11-2012, 12:01 PM Reply   
@E, trim tab, if you go to far it will drop the size down