Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Jeff38)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-02-2010, 9:26 AM Reply   
Im new to wakeboarding. I have a few friends who have been doing it awhile. Im just looking to be the weekend wakeboarder. I dont have a decked out wakeboarding boat with a tower. I do have a brand new 21ft stingray with a 5.0 volvo penta drive. This should be enough to get the job the done right??
Thanks
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       06-02-2010, 9:31 AM Reply   
I learned on a Bayliner 175. You have a boat and that is all that counts. Just have FUN
Old     (cwb4me)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-02-2010, 9:32 AM Reply   
sure it makes a wake thats all you need.just find speed and rope length . i guess 20 mph and 60 to 65 foot should be in the ball park.remember weight in back of boat makes wake steeper weight in front makes longer ramp.hope this helps!
Old     (wade_lewark)      Join Date: Jan 2010       06-02-2010, 9:34 AM Reply   
more than enough to get the basics down and have fun! We started with a 2005 18' Regal I/O Bowrider and had a blast with it. Learned the basics and went wake to wake. Added a tower in a few years and made it even better. Once we wanted more wake, we sold the boat and upgraded to an Axis A22. Have fun!
Old     (joesell)      Join Date: Apr 2001       06-02-2010, 9:53 AM Reply   
Nope, that won't do at all. Go sell your new boat, and get a different one!

Just kidding dude, Go have fun, worry about all the things you think you need after you learn the basics.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-02-2010, 10:39 AM Reply   
I learned behind a 19ft fishing boat with 125 outboard and 3 or 4 bags of cement for balast. A vise grip for the throttle and a cup for the bilge pump. I think you're a good position, especially if it paid for or nearly paid for!
Old    ScottRobinson            06-02-2010, 10:45 AM Reply   
LOL Fred....love the honesty!
Old     (Jeff38)      Join Date: Jun 2010       06-02-2010, 10:54 AM Reply   
LOL! Thanks for the replies and support guys. I just wanted to make sure.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-02-2010, 11:03 AM Reply   
wasn't my boat Scott, but it did the job.
Old     (mikeski)      Join Date: Aug 2003       06-02-2010, 12:56 PM Reply   
500lb fat sack toward the bow, trim up as much as you can without cavitation, go about 2 MPH faster than when the whitewash disappears from the wake. That should get you pretty close. Prop it down with a lower pitch prop if it gets doggy out of the hole as you add weight.
Old     (tro)      Join Date: May 2009       06-02-2010, 6:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by olmoomba View Post
I learned behind a 19ft fishing boat with 125 outboard and 3 or 4 bags of cement for balast. A vise grip for the throttle and a cup for the bilge pump. I think you're a good position, especially if it paid for or nearly paid for!
Fred, we had a 14 foot aluminum jon boat with a 25 HP Envinrude with a jet drive and a couple of orange life jackets. that set up was SICK! our wakeboard (Murray Hyperlite Honeycomb 137) damn near cost more than the boat. ha ha.
Old     (stuntmonkey)      Join Date: Feb 2009       06-03-2010, 8:30 AM Reply   
Learned behind a 97 Canaventure......oh wait we are still using it!! Sold my response lx and went back to my girls dads boat, who cares have fun! We don't even have a tower anymore, just a ski pole.

Its all about fun!!! I see people in big X45s on the shuswap crusing around thinking they are the **** with buckcherry blasting at full blare, but never see them boarding.
Old     (olmoomba)      Join Date: Apr 2010       06-03-2010, 8:58 AM Reply   
Hey Ash - so true, on the river we ride the most, there is the largest collection of VLX's I have ever seen, you would think the factory was right there, anyhow 2 of 15 actually ride, the others pull tubes.
Old     (Jeff38)      Join Date: Jun 2010       07-19-2010, 9:20 AM Reply   
Yeah, we have a lot of show and no go here as well. We board a lot. Not very good and we crash a lot but we do it! That damn w2w jump is eluding me! Im 240 lbs but should still be able to do it!
Old     (mattgettel)      Join Date: Jan 2009       07-19-2010, 9:27 AM Reply   
jeff, you could try shortening the rope to make it wake to wake. We do this when we have a newer person on the boat. it makes it a lot more fun to go w2w and then add more length as you progress.
not sure if it will work with your wake, just a thought.
Old     (johnny_gatsby)      Join Date: Sep 2009       07-19-2010, 11:18 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff38 View Post
Im new to wakeboarding. I have a few friends who have been doing it awhile. Im just looking to be the weekend wakeboarder. I dont have a decked out wakeboarding boat with a tower. I do have a brand new 21ft stingray with a 5.0 volvo penta drive. This should be enough to get the job the done right??
Thanks
That boat will work fine--we started with a Stingray 195lx--plenty of power-I installed a tower and speaker system myself--the real reason we got a wake board boat was we needed more room for all the new friends we made....
Attached Images