Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through August 27, 2003 > Archive through September 24, 2004

Old     (trash)      Join Date: Jul 2001       09-02-2004, 7:22 AM Reply   
Well, for the past 2 years I've had a small leak in the boat that I could never find. Yesterday I went out on the water and pulled the doghouse completely off in search of this leak. Finally found that it was coming through one of the bolt holes on a tracking fin.

Can I just remove the bolt, fill the area with caulk/silicone and reinstall the bolt? Or is there some special stuff I need? I looked at the fin underneath and it appears that there is sealant all the way around the rim of the fin mount, so I'm assuming it's coming up the bolt hole directly.

Thanks

Trash
Old     (mastercraft1995)      Join Date: Nov 2002       09-02-2004, 7:39 AM Reply   
Mine did the same thing last year. Try to take the fin off if you can otherwise just remove the bolt clean out the old caulk and re caulk. Make sure you use MARINE grade caulk. It cost about 12 bucks for a tube of it. I ended up re doing all of mine just for fun. I could only get one of the fins of though.
Old     (boarditup)      Join Date: Jan 2004       09-02-2004, 8:04 AM Reply   
Use a caulk designed for underwater use. 3M 5200 or Boat Life Life Caulk. Both take 72 hours to cure, so make it part of a lay-up time.
Old    tommyadrian5            09-02-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
one of the bolts is missing from my strut, it looks like it sheared off completely, so it would be a bitch and a half to remove, i filled the little tip part that is open with silicon, and its fine

i figure the other 7 bolts are enough to hold it fine