Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles

Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-17-2011, 3:20 PM Reply   
Took the boat to the lake today. Noticed after launch that the front wheel on the right side of the trailer was off the ground and in the fender. Could not get it to release and come back down to the ground.

Anyone else ever had this happen?
Old     (07launch22ssv)      Join Date: Feb 2007       04-17-2011, 4:09 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpass1 View Post
Took the boat to the lake today. Noticed after launch that the front wheel on the right side of the trailer was off the ground and in the fender. Could not get it to release and come back down to the ground.

Anyone else ever had this happen?
Boatmate uses torsion axles, the axle either broke or rotated there should be a huge bolt that pinches the axle in its place loosen that bolt and see if you can rotate the axle back in position.
Old     (brainrinse)      Join Date: Aug 2007       04-17-2011, 8:03 PM Reply   
Contact Boatmate, sounds like a failed torsion axle. They will make it right, and fast.
Old     (wakeride26)      Join Date: Dec 2006       04-18-2011, 9:17 AM Reply   
Sounds to me like you backed the boat up with out power to the back up lock out. If that happens you can flip the torsion axle. It isnt something that just happens on its own. I have two or three customers a year do this. Usually just have to jack up the trailer and unbolt the bad side, flip then bolt back on.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-18-2011, 9:42 AM Reply   
Sounds like failed torsion axle to me...I've had two axles fail in less than a year but Jerry at Boatmate warranteed both axles even after one was out of warranty. Might take 7-10 days to get your new axle delivered to your door. Takes about an hour (even less) to replace if you have access to an impact gun.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-18-2011, 9:45 AM Reply   
If you haven't already. Jerry will need the following info: trailer date of purchase, VIN number, axle part number (it's a small plate under the axle), if single or tandem axle (if tandem was it front or rear), and damage to other trailer parts (like the fender), and send a photo if you can.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-18-2011, 10:17 AM Reply   
Torsion bar is the problem. My wife spoke with Jerry at Boatmate and they are going to cover the parts. The lake was too far from my house to risk bringing it home with only one tire on that side so I left it at the Supra dealer. They are going to take care of it for me. The dealer told me that Boatmate had a problem 4-5 years ago with he torsion bars failing and they repaired them under warranty. Mine is an '07 and the guy I bought it from never used it. He boat only had 80 hours on it. My guess is that he never had the trailer on the road long enough for anything to go wrong.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-18-2011, 3:26 PM Reply   
My front axle failed with about 60-70hrs on the boat and rear axle failed around 110 hrs. My storage is only 3 miles from the lake so I had less than a 1,000 miles towing on the trailer.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-18-2011, 4:16 PM Reply   
It sucks. I am about 50 miles from the lake. If I was closer I would fix it myself. I just don't trust that I would make it home with no problems. Like I said Boatmate is covering the parts but not the labor due to the age. Luckily the shop told me that it will take longer to move the boat into the bay than it will to fix it.
Old     (you_da_man)      Join Date: Sep 2009       04-18-2011, 5:28 PM Reply   
Probably 3 hrs flat rate labor but 1 hr actual time
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-25-2011, 4:15 PM Reply   
Found out from boatmate today that the axle lead time is about 7-10 days. The next question - Is it safe to pull the trailer from the boat shop to the launch ramp about 200 yards away? Am I at risk for doing any damage to the trailer by launching and loading with 3 wheels?

If I can't get the boat in the water this weekend I will have to wait about 3 weeks due to work. That sucks!!!

Last edited by Bumpass1; 04-25-2011 at 4:18 PM.
Old     (Bumpass1)      Join Date: Oct 2010       04-25-2011, 5:05 PM Reply   
By the way, the ramp is about 300 yards from the shop.
Old     (moto817)      Join Date: Jan 2011       04-26-2011, 11:58 AM Reply   
Ive towed a boat with 2 of the wheels off because of a flat and a bad spare alot further then that and not had any issue, I cant imagine 300 yards hurting anything.
Old     (john211)      Join Date: Aug 2008       04-26-2011, 1:06 PM Reply   
I had a flat last summer. It took me 5 miles just to find a spot to pull off the highway ... and then about another 1/2 mile creeping along slow, looking for a spot to jack the trailer. 300 yards, going slow?, you should be fine.