Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through November 14, 2005

Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-06-2005, 11:33 AM Reply   
I am looking to buy a V drive this spring that will be in the high 30s or very low 40’s not including tax/license. Although I have been reading posts on this website for some time now, I have never seen moomba and centurion compared. Which is the better boat in this price-range? What would you rather be seen on the lake in, behind, and towing? I wakeboard and would like to get into wakesurfing but am unable to do so with my current I/O. I also do some recreational boating, although if I had a true wakeboard boat I would do much more wakeboarding!!!

Also, I would also like opinions about the Calabria pro-v (43K loaded) and the mastercraft x-1. I know that the mastercraft is probably the bets choice out of these boats, however Cope and McPheters is telling me that the X-1 is going to go for at least 45K… Seems really stupid, since Mastercraft states that the MSRP is 39,995 including a single axle trailer. Am I out of my mind for thinking I can get it at that price or is the local dealer price gouging???

Thanks in advance for your advice!!!
Attila
Old     (p_e_ski)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-06-2005, 11:39 AM Reply   
We have a 04 Centurion Cyclone. Love it. You should be able to get one pretty loaded for about $41k. When we started shopping back then (late summer 03) we also liked the Mobius V. The moomba was still 5k more for the same options. Better deal got us into the centurion with no regrets. I would have no problem behind a Moomba, our river is full of them, but the centurion is what worked for us.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-06-2005, 11:43 AM Reply   
Nice, I like the clean black/white look of your boat. I think the Centurion's are nicer looking than the moombas. Did the whole chopper gun/hand laid thing factor into your decision? How many can you seat comfortably in your cyclone?
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-06-2005, 12:07 PM Reply   
IMO Moomba's look cheap....for the money buy a 1 y/o supra. if not go w/ the centurion
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-06-2005, 12:22 PM Reply   
adam, i don't think you are going to get a one year old supra (loaded) for the price of the new moomba's. maybe the old moomba's were cheap but the new one are excellent and build side by side with the supra's. i also like the centurion's just don't have any good local dealerships.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-06-2005, 12:48 PM Reply   
I paid 35.8K, 2 months ago, for an 04 22SSV (48-50k boat in 03), 72 hours, tower speakers, PP, no heater/shower, Sirius Radio,upgrade stereo, CD changer, upgrade prop, color matched bimini, most of the good options, no dock lights, no blackwodd dash.
Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-06-2005, 12:52 PM Reply   
For a Moomba, go for a Mobius LSV, you should be able to get it well loaded for low $40s. You might want to consider a new Supra as well. The Launch 20SSVs are starting at 40,595 and the 21Vs for $42,595. And like some have said, check out a 1 year old Supra. I have a used 2005 21V LOADED for $42k sitting on my lot ready to go.

(Message edited by Jon A on October 06, 2005)
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-06-2005, 12:57 PM Reply   
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/acurtis_ttu/album?.dir=mail&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http% 3a//photos.yahoo.com/ph//my_photos

Bimini not shown in pic.
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-06-2005, 1:00 PM Reply   
Adam, sweet boat. i wish i could find a deal like that.

hey john buy mine and i will buy yours.

Old     (jon_a)      Join Date: Feb 2003       10-06-2005, 1:04 PM Reply   
insuranceman,

email me some information and pics on your boat and we might can work something out. diamondlakesws@yahoo.com

If you want to look at the 21V I have, here it is: http://www.flipsell.com/Phase3/home/DispVehicle.asp?VehicleID=8351

It is listed under our promo driver's name. (his boat for 2005)
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-06-2005, 1:10 PM Reply   
Attila- We have a 2005 Elite-V Air Warrior. It's 21'6", wakeplate, heater, boardracks, bimini, towcover, snap on covers, see profile pic, but we bougth it this last winter at a show for 41k then taxes. Awesome boat and a great deal i think, look around at Centurion, cant comment on the moombas too much, but the Centurion wakesurf wake is second to none, if weighted properly, and the wakeboard wake, is more than enough for any inverts or spins.
~Tyler~
Old     (insuranceman)      Join Date: Jun 2005       10-06-2005, 1:10 PM Reply   
Jon, I will sent you a photo.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-06-2005, 1:34 PM Reply   
Thanks for the comment tyboarder03!
Anyone have any comments about my X-1 and calabria pro v questions at the begining of the post?
Old     (mcsammamish)      Join Date: Jun 2002       10-06-2005, 1:42 PM Reply   
Malibu V-RIde? Have you looked into this?
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-06-2005, 2:03 PM Reply   
No really, looks kind of cheap to me, although I have never been in one. I would preffer to stick with the X-1 if I could get it for 40K
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       10-06-2005, 2:10 PM Reply   
Take a look at Sangers and Supras
Old     (gnelson)      Join Date: Jun 2003       10-06-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
Sounds like your local dealer may be a little high unless hes adding some options which could be the case. 39,995 is base w/out PP and a few others. IMO the x-1 feels a bit small but is definately a solid boat with a top notch wake. I just sold my 03 Elite V and it was great and they are at a great price. I would go with Cent over Moomba but I'm obviously a little biased. I would definately check out the Calabria Pro V. I have heard a lot of good things about them and for that price you get a lot of boat IMO. That may be my next boat.

acurtis-dude you got a steal on that boat. Nice
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       10-06-2005, 2:19 PM Reply   
What's strage is I bought it off of this website and it had been posted in the classifieds for a month before I saw it....I'm surprised no one jumped on it sooner.
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-06-2005, 2:27 PM Reply   
the v-ride is one of the best deals out there. icredible build quality. it is the 02-04 vlx with a new name and much lower price.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-06-2005, 2:35 PM Reply   
Mad Child, would you take it over the 06 Malibu XTI?
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-06-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
yes. the xti is an AWESOME idea; you get the handling of a direct drive with the wrap-around of a v drive. buttttttttt, there isn't nearly enough storage and they are hard to weight down with out cluttering the cabin.

i love the xti, but the v-ride/old vlx would win if i were shopping.

i think w/ a trailer, illusion x, and pp it can be had for 40-42.
Old     (supra)      Join Date: Aug 2002       10-06-2005, 3:00 PM Reply   
How about a 02 Mastercraft X-30 with 39 hours on it, Loaded for 39K?
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-08-2005, 11:05 AM Reply   
Illusion x, can you get the V-ride with the cool new malibu towers or only that cheesy looking one that comes stock?
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-08-2005, 2:02 PM Reply   
i don't understand your question miszti. the forward swept illusion x is now standard on all wakesetter/ride models.

i think the "cheesy looking one" you referred to is the T3. it may look "cheesy", but titan puts out a very solid product.
Old     (mjmurphy53711)      Join Date: Mar 2004       10-08-2005, 3:20 PM Reply   
avalanche!

www.wakecoupons.com
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-08-2005, 4:32 PM Reply   
Just looked at an 06 X-1 today and plan to demo one next weekend; it is an extremely well-finished boat. I had looked at Malibu's (in particular the V-Ride) last week and have to say that MC has taken my vote. The interior is extremely high quality with a variety of textures and the attention to detail is immacualte. Also, you can't go wrong with the proven X-Star, X-2, X-1 hull.

The X-1 they had in the showroom was priced out at 43k and included a single axle trailer, center and rear ballast, a set of boardracks (non-swiveling), Mastercraft cruise control, a flip-up bolster seat, fiberglass swin platform, and a Clarion sound system with CD player and four interior mounted speakers.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-08-2005, 6:23 PM Reply   
An incredible boat is the Moomba XLV! I bought an 04 new last year. MSRP this year is $37995. I am very very happy with mine! It's huge, puts out an incredible wake and is very comfortable for the whole crew and all your gear! Best wake I've ever riden. If it's too much boat for ya, Moomba increased the size of the LSV this year. It's a nice boat for the money. Anyone who says that Moombas are cheap haven't checked out the 2004's 2005's or even better, the 2006's. Their quality has improved dramatically! Buy at the upcoming boat shows and get a thousand or two knocked off the price and free options.

Good luck in your search!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-08-2005, 6:48 PM Reply   
The new LSV optioned out approaches the price of the X-1
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-09-2005, 4:11 PM Reply   
Kraig, what is the height of the XLV with the tower folded down? My garage door is only 83 inches tall, The X-1 sits at 76 inches so it would fit. I liked the Supera 21V but it would not fit into my garage.

ridehype4life... let me know how the X-1 demo goes!!!

madchild. I was referring to the V-ride. Can you get the v-ride with a forward swept illusion tower?
Old     (madchild1)      Join Date: Mar 2005       10-09-2005, 4:34 PM Reply   
yeah, the 06 vride comes standard w/ the illusion x.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-09-2005, 5:34 PM Reply   
The XLV is a BIG boat. Sounds like you have a standard 7 ft. height on your garage door. Unfortunately, with the tower folded down the pivot points on the tower need an 8 ft. tall garage door. I had to modify mine from 7 ft. to 8 ft. in order to fit it into my garage.

I checked the price of the LSV NICELY optioned to check the price. It configures at $40,640. However, if you pick it up at a boat show you can knock off a minimum of one thousand dollars plus three free options. It'll probably drop the price somewhere around $3000. I don't know what specials MC runs at the shows, but dropping around $3K off the LSV will bring it well within your price range.

I've heard alot of controversy on what the price of the X-1 will be. But by what ridehyperlife posted, he's got a confirmed price from a dealer in his area. Check the dealers in YOUR area.
Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-09-2005, 5:47 PM Reply   
Comparison: LSV X-1
Length 21'6" 20'7"
Beam(Width) 97" 90"
Draft(Depth) 24" 22"
Weight 3300lbs. 3050lbs.
Fuel 40 gals. 33 gals.
Capacity 13 ppl. 11 ppl.

Alot more boat for alot less money. Check it out at www.moomba.com
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-09-2005, 6:35 PM Reply   

quote:

Kraig Kaiser (kraig) on Sunday, October 09, 2005 - 5:47 pm:

Comparison: LSV X-1
Length 21'6" 20'7"
Beam(Width) 97" 90"
Draft(Depth) 24" 22"
Weight 3300lbs. 3050lbs.
Fuel 40 gals. 33 gals.
Capacity 13 ppl. 11 ppl.

Alot more boat for alot less money. Check it out at www.moomba.com

you got to be joking....How about?

1)performance
2)fit and finish
3)resale value
4)Wake

Dude,I can go on an on.....

Old     (kraig)      Join Date: Dec 2002       10-09-2005, 6:49 PM Reply   
1.) Performance- Same drive train! How can performance be any different besides the LSV is significantly bigger.
2.) Fit and Finish- I agree, the fit and finish will be better with the X-1. It all depends on what you value in a boat. I own an XLV and the fit and finish is great for my needs.
3.) Resale Value- I don't know about this one. The Moomba may devalue a little faster. But then again, I've seen some MC's devalue faster than other boats like Moombas before.
4.) Wake- The X-1 hull has been tried and true for a few years now. He should demo both boats and try out each wake before he buys. The wakes I'm sure will be different we're all very wake specific. Some like it rampy, some like steep, some like it with a kick at the top. I know the LSV is somewhat steep with a kick at the top. I can't speak for the X-1 though.

It's a great thing MC is doing, trying to create a price point boat. The X-1 is a very nice boat, but the LSV is alot more boat for alot less money. Like I said, and I'm sure you would agree Big Ed, he should demo and/or ride behind both.
Old     (big_ed_x2)      Join Date: Jul 2004       10-09-2005, 7:02 PM Reply   
definetly agree with DEMO....just not with your sayin "more boat for less money"
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-10-2005, 4:36 PM Reply   
I've been inside both the new LSV and the X-1 and do not agree with the "more boat" comment. Maybe the LSV can hold two more people, but you have to experience it yourself to see just how solid, intricately detailed, and well-finished the MC is compared to the Moomba.
I do agree the LSV is a very nice boat just do not agree with some of the opinions stated.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-10-2005, 5:06 PM Reply   
I tend to agree with you...
If I wanted a bigger boat I would but a cuddy cabin bayliner for half the price. My original question was... "What would you rather be seen on the lake in, behind, and towing? "
A larger boat in some ways is a disadvantage. If I get anything over 21feet I will not be able to fit an extra cab truck and the trailer into my 40foot tandem garage. If I can get a base X-1 for 40K that is what I will go with! Before I buy one though I will demo the Calabria Pro V, Moomba LSV, and the X-1. Obviously I think the LSV is a good boat, otherwise I would not be considering it, however the fact that the dimensions are a bit larger than the X-1 would not be THE selling point for me.

Any Calabria Pro V owners out there?
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-10-2005, 5:09 PM Reply   
I tend to agree with you...
If I wanted a bigger boat I would but a cuddy cabin bayliner for half the price. My original question was... "What would you rather be seen on the lake in, behind, and towing? "
A larger boat in some ways is a disadvantage. If I get anything over 21feet I will not be able to fit an extra cab truck and the trailer into my 40foot tandem garage. If I can get a base X-1 for 40K that is what I will go with! Before I buy one though I will demo the Calabria Pro V, Moomba LSV, and the X-1. Obviously I think the LSV is a good boat, otherwise I would not be considering it, however the fact that the dimensions are a bit larger than the X-1 would not be THE selling point for me.

Any Calabria Pro V owners out there?
Old     (ian30)      Join Date: Jan 2005       10-11-2005, 7:16 AM Reply   
I have a 2005 pro-v. It has a huge interior and quality seems to be pretty good. For the price, I don't think there is a better boat. I haven't found an unhappy pro-v owner yet. I think if you demo the pro-v against a moomba, you will not be taking a moomba home with you. As far as the X-1, there is no room inside the boat. If you just go out and ride it is an awesome boat, but if you like to take a bunch of people and gear and hang out on the water for the day, the calabria is a way better choice.
Old     (fergie23)      Join Date: Sep 2004       10-15-2005, 6:54 PM Reply   
Tyler, any problems with your Elite V? Is it C4 or not? How is the wake and is it wide or narrow? SOunds like a nice boat - looked at one today!
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-15-2005, 7:27 PM Reply   
To get back to you all about the X-1 demo-
The dealer did not have an 06 X-1 to demo but they did have an 05 X-2 (same boat) so we took it out Friday afternoon. It was a very impressive ride. It was extremely solid and responsive; no rattling whatsoever from the tower and overall was comfortable.. This X-2 had the MCX 350 so it hauled even with the ballast filled.
The demo is for sale with a whopping three hours on it so that brings up another possible alternative to the X-1 as the X-2 already has many of the options we would upgrade anyway.
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-16-2005, 10:08 AM Reply   
what were they asking for the x-2 46k?
Old     (poser007)      Join Date: Nov 2004       10-16-2005, 2:05 PM Reply   
I think you will just need to demo the boats.....everyone has their own oppinons and if you look at the materials that go into building these boats they all have basically 90% same materials. It's personal preference on the buyers part. Moomba Centurion Calabria X-1 which ever you go with you will have a great time out on the lake.
Old     (tyboarder03)      Join Date: Nov 2003       10-16-2005, 2:56 PM Reply   
Tracy no problems so far, it is the Elite-V C4, i ride with the center 500lb tank full the plate all the way up, and I ride at 24mph at 75 feet, and theres plenty of wake, even at that speed the wake is plenty wide to take a hard cut and still go w2w. So far the only problem weve had was the stiching on part of the back seat was coming out(after about 65 hours in 2 months) took it in and they fixed it. Its been very trouble free, and has a lot of storage. Overall I'd say the wake is more in the middle of the road, its a decent size boat and it's pretty capable of throwing any size wake you'd want with the exception of a slalom wake. Good luck in your search.
~Tyler~
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-16-2005, 3:38 PM Reply   
Attila- The unconfirmed price of the X-2 with three hours, the MCX, single axle trailer, triple KGB ballast (standard?), glass platform, and four interior mounted JL speakers supported by the Clarion system was 43k. (price quoted from a service department worker who took us out on the boat) It seems very low to me but if the owner of the dealer confirms that price I may jump on it.
What would you all do, this ^ , or an 06 X-1?
Old     (gmarkham1)      Join Date: Sep 2003       10-17-2005, 8:44 AM Reply   
same hull, more options, less money... 05 x-2 no question. by the time you load up that x-1 to all the same options you will be well over that 43k!
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-17-2005, 10:31 AM Reply   
I am waiting for MC to update their website, I wan to play with the color options... I don't really care for the black/yellow look.
Old     (wakeslife)      Join Date: Jul 2005       10-17-2005, 2:11 PM Reply   
The only reason I could see to go with the 06 X-1 instead of the X-2 is the resale value as the X-1 is a newer year model and I could order the X-1 in the specific gel coat colors I want.

Attila- Here's a few pictures of X-1's in a couple different colors:

Hopefully Mastercraft updates their website to the 2006 models soon!
Old     (attila916)      Join Date: Oct 2005       10-17-2005, 11:06 PM Reply   
UUUhhhhh, I like the RED one! But I want the top/inside of the hull to be red as well. I wonder if they will allow a 3 color combo...?