Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through April 01, 2004

Old    wegotbikes            02-14-2004, 12:53 AM Reply   
what do you use for the top edge of the boat for traction so people don't slip off and fall in the water when getting on board the boat from the side? also, where can I find it? I tought about using grip tape, like for skate board decks. please give your opinions.
Old     (ttuclint)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-14-2004, 12:55 AM Reply   
gator grip, maybe someone else can provide a link.
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-14-2004, 1:40 AM Reply   
I put gator grip on my boat this summer and it is awesome. Here's the link:

http://www.wakejunky.com/

I wouldn't use grip tape as it will scratch everything in sight. Knees, boards, etc. I purchased 2 sheets and I was able to run the entire length of each gunwale. A patch on the bow. And I made a transom saver. I still had pieces left over.

Old     (ryan_e)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-14-2004, 5:50 AM Reply   
Here's a link to read about it.

http://www.wakeworld.com/articles/2002/getagrip.asp

(Message edited by ryan_e on February 14, 2004)
Old     (tlb)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-14-2004, 7:04 AM Reply   
Gator grip is awesome!
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-14-2004, 11:07 AM Reply   
is anybody else having a problem getting the whole wakejunky.com site to pull up??Im using YahooDSL as a browser and all my stuff is updated but all i get is the front page to pull up and all four of the pic/links at the top of the page are broken links and not showing the pic..whats up?? ,ive been trying for a week to pull that up and cant get to it?..anybody got time to give me a few links to each of his pages to see the product and order it along with a phone #??
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-14-2004, 11:31 AM Reply   

Here is the ordering info

Credit Card....Call (916) 803-1335 to place your order

Prices:

$45 - 14" x 5' (14 inches by 5 feet.) $7.95 S&H

$90 - 28" x 5' (28 inches by 5 feet.) $10.95 S&H

$125 - Approximately 4' x 5.' $15.95 S&H

Or
$25 - 14" x 2.5' (14 inches by 2.5 feet). $5.95 S&H

How to Order:
Check or Money Order:

Send check or Money Order for the full amount to address below, include color, amount, return address and telephone number (for shipping purposes.) CA residents add 7.75% tax

Chris Foye
4420 Whispering Oaks Circle
Granite Bay Ca., 95746

Paypal:

Use Paypal to place your order, include telephone number for shipping purposes.

Goto Colors page
Credit Card: (916) 803-1335

Chris Foye
sales@wakejunky.com

(916) 803-1335

Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-14-2004, 11:35 AM Reply   

Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-14-2004, 11:36 AM Reply   
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-14-2004, 11:37 AM Reply   
It loaded fine, but I'm one out of 3 people still using netscape. :-)
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-14-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
thanks Levi ...damn Netscape :-)
Old     (bigjessup)      Join Date: May 2002       02-14-2004, 1:51 PM Reply   
Are those the only colors available?
Old     (monstertower)      Join Date: Mar 2003       02-14-2004, 6:20 PM Reply   
Love the Gator Grip on our new sled !!!

Old    markb            02-14-2004, 8:24 PM Reply   
Gator Grip looks great. A cheaper option is to use adhesive stair treads. The home supply stores usually have them in white, black, or grey for a couple bucks a pop. It's the stuff you put on a concrete or wooden step for traction.
Old     (hamkj)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-14-2004, 9:19 PM Reply   
Anyone know where I can get stuff similar to gator grip in RED... EVA type grip tape... I just want to find something in red... or I will go with grey gator grip.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-15-2004, 7:11 AM Reply   
Kyle,

The problem with red is that for some reason it tends to fade. I had red for a while and found that it faded to pink after some sun exposure. I think most reds and yellows will fade just due to the pigment that is used to make the color.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (dba4life)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-15-2004, 8:31 AM Reply   
Bill - How did you cut the gator grip with such perfect round edges? Looks great.

Also Chris - Any chance of yellow gator grip in the near future?

Thanks
Old     (dba4life)      Join Date: Jun 2002       02-15-2004, 8:32 AM Reply   
Chris - Just read your last post a little closer. Yellow will fade. Damn.
Old    upupnaway            02-15-2004, 10:57 AM Reply   
What is the texture of Gator grip? is it rubbery?
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-17-2004, 8:36 AM Reply   
Kevin - I'm not sure how Bill did it, but I made some rounded corners and I just used an X-acto knife and cut from the back side. I also think that a pair of scissors would work quite well. I used something round to trace around w/ the blade.

Mike - Yes. It is like the EVA foam handles. It is 'squishy' and has a nice texture.

A few poor pics of mine:

Old     (mossy44)      Join Date: Oct 2001       02-17-2004, 12:27 PM Reply   
damn........red fades. thats what i just put on my boat towards the end of the summer.
Old     (gunz)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-17-2004, 12:37 PM Reply   
I have it on mine too.You round the corners using a coffee can or something like that.Comes out nice.
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-17-2004, 1:17 PM Reply   
Levi,
How much did you need to to do your boat?
Old    mnwake            02-17-2004, 1:45 PM Reply   
Ok, what if I don't like it? How hard is it to get off? And will it stick to a textured surface? My transom is "supposed" to be textured to help traction, but it doesn't work very well.

Oh, and how thick is it?

Thanks!
Mike

(Message edited by MNWake on February 17, 2004)
Old     (noneya)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-17-2004, 2:18 PM Reply   
Its about 1/4" thk. Its a pain to get off once you put it on but it can be done. I think it would stick on a lightly textured surface. I had the red and it took about 6 mos of sitting everyday in the Texas sun to fade it, you couldnt tell that bad till I got another batch, then you could really see the diff.
Old     (squirt32)      Join Date: Feb 2003       02-17-2004, 4:21 PM Reply   
What happened to the wrap around seating on that first nautiqe??? noticed it on second glance but its a v-drive with i drive seating for sure.... did it come like that?
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-17-2004, 5:44 PM Reply   
Vic,
Probably early 90's Nautique. It has the same seating as mine. (Stock).
Old     (levi)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-17-2004, 11:21 PM Reply   
Rod - I order 2 sheets. I think it was the 14" x 5' sections and I had some left over, but not a bunch. I did all the way down the sides, a big patch on the front bow area, across the back, and then a transom saver in pieces as my transom isn't flat across.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-18-2004, 5:24 AM Reply   
Anybody wanting to see this stuff - Just drop me an email with your address and any particular color and I'd be more than happy to send you a sample.

wakejunky@wakejunky.com

Chris
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-19-2004, 5:19 PM Reply   
Thanks Levi,
I'm ordering some now.....
Old     (batman)      Join Date: Nov 2001       02-19-2004, 6:50 PM Reply   
Chris, What about just plain white?
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-19-2004, 9:11 PM Reply   
Mike,

I've seen a white on white and because there is a pattern on the material, it just doesn't look right. It looked odd.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
No Slip Gator Grip
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-22-2004, 6:58 PM Reply   
Chris,
I received the GG yesterday. Great material, pictures don't do it justice. I can't wait for it to stop raining so I can get it on the boat. Thanks!
Old     (waterboardracer)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-23-2004, 1:19 PM Reply   
There is an alternative to Gator Grip...It is called Hydro-Turf. They offer all sorts of colors, and different patterns as well...diamond, straight grooves, flat, and a new style that I havent seen yet..still waiting for my sample. I believe the website is www.hydroturf.com
They list prices on the website, but I can offer discounts off those prices. It ends up being almost half the price of the gator stuff. (40" x 62" for $69 instead of $125). This is great for skates, surfers, boats, anything you need traction on! They do tons of OEM stuff for jet-skis and have the advantage of "quantity discount". Please email me for more information.
Also...I work at a pro-shop, not for Hydro-Turf, and am just really impressed with the product, and thought they deserved a plug! If you want to skip me and go straight to the company, contact Laurel! laurel@hydroturf.com Otherwise I would be happy to help anyone out.
Old     (waterboardracer)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-23-2004, 1:23 PM Reply   
There is an alternative to Gator Grip...It is called Hydro-Turf. They offer all sorts of colors, and different patterns as well...diamond, straight grooves, flat, and a new style that I havent seen yet..still waiting for my sample. I believe the website is www.hydroturf.com
They list prices on the website, but I can offer discounts off those prices. It ends up being almost half the price of the gator stuff. (40" x 62" for $69 instead of $125). This is great for skates, surfers, boats, anything you need traction on! Please email me for more information.
Also...I work at a pro-shop, not for Hydro-Turf, and am just really impressed with the product, and thought they deserved a plug! If you want to skip me and go straight to the company, contact Laurel! laurel@hydroturf.com Otherwise I would be happy to help anyone out.
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-23-2004, 7:41 PM Reply   
Let me rebut to Hydroturf.
Although cheaper and offering more patterns and such, if you were to actually see the material it's much more course, it's almost sandpaper like and very thin.
Gator Grip is much thicker and cushier and will last longer.
Ask for a sample of both and compare for yourself.

Chris
No Slip Gator Grip
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (puckinshat)      Join Date: Sep 2003       02-23-2004, 11:43 PM Reply   
This may seem random, but is there a dark purple. I have a 94 MC PS 205 and as we can all remember, the early 90's did not have a great sense of style when it came to colors. Otherwise i'm going to go with grey/white. Has anyone got the white stained and is it easy to clean?
Old     (waterboardracer)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-24-2004, 7:39 AM Reply   
Mark -
Hydroturf offers both a purple, and a purple/white marble in various sizes.

As far as the HT being more coarse...that is from EVA being machined, not molded. The difference: Think an Accurate Byerly handle vs. a Straightline Amoeba handle. Its coarsness actually provides better immediate traction. I used a SL handle I received from a rep and had to sand it down to make it grip right away. Molded EVA, like GG and the SL handles takes time to become grippy due to mold resin. Yes it is firmer, but I believe it is more durable and less susceptable (sp?) to snags - rips- tears - etc. HT is now offering a molded EVA as well, but after talking with them and discussing the downsides of mold resin, Laurel informed me that they actually "sand" the material before it is ready. This eliminates any mold resin and provides immediate traction.

Just some FYI! Thanks
Old    mb_girl            02-24-2004, 8:19 AM Reply   
Drew,
Does it come in white & if so can I get a sample?
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-24-2004, 8:29 AM Reply   
Drww i emailed both the info and Laurel and its been 24 hrs ,no response..i also requested a sample but hadnt heard back to let me know they at least received the emails..

how long is the response time and how reliable are these people..

tell them to speed it up :-)

Old    wegotbikes            02-24-2004, 8:18 PM Reply   
Hey Mark, glad to see I'm not the only one with that purple and teal combo Prostar 205. I would love to find the purple as well. Maybe if there are more poor souls like us with the purple, we can get someone to make some...hahaha
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       02-25-2004, 6:18 AM Reply   
Drew its been two days now and no reply from hydroturf,what gives??

Old     (waterboardracer)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-25-2004, 12:51 PM Reply   
Bill -

Sorry you haven't heard anything from them. As far as their reliability...I have been dealing with them for two years and no issues. I will see what I can do to get 'em off their tails.
Old     (waterboardracer)      Join Date: Sep 2001       02-25-2004, 12:57 PM Reply   
Traice -
I do not believe they offer a pure white, but they offer several "marbles", like white with light grey marbled in, and a white / black marble as well. Depending on where you are putting the stuff, pure white may get pretty dirty. Send me a PM with your info and I can send you a sample.
Old    htvixen            02-25-2004, 1:41 PM Reply   
Hey there all! Sorry to have missed you Bill- I checked my emails & did not receive anything from you. I did email you a few moments ago & if I can still be of any help please let me know.

Tracie- YES we have solid white.

Yes we are reputable. We have been in business for over 15 years & are OEM Suppliers for Kawasaki, Polaris & most recently Yamaha. I do not want to get into a p*ss*ng match over "who's is better", that is not my style, besides competition is healthy and you all have the freedom to choose what you like better.

I would just like to offer some info to you all that has been previously stated incorrectly.

Our material is 5.5mm think (approx 1/4 inch). We offer various textures (straight grooves- diamonds - waffles & molded diamond as well as molded straight groove). The surfaces are brushed, as it is this brushing which provides additional traction. The material is quite comfortable, it has been used on wake skates, snowskates, kite boards, skim boards, EVA Handles, Surf Traction and various other uses.

I encourage inquiries & sample requests. You can reach me direct @ 714-635-6350 or Email{laurel@hydroturf.com,laurel@hydroturf.com}

If there is anything I can do please let me know.

Laurel

(Message edited by htvixen on February 25, 2004)

Old    swpmwinc            02-25-2004, 1:46 PM Reply   
Support the little guy Chris is a great guy trying to do something to help the sport.
Old    tball            02-28-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
I ordered some GG from Chris last week and it came in today. It came in quickly, was exactly what I ordered, and even came with a couple of stickers. I'm going to make a transom saver and may try to turn an older wakeboard into a wakeskate. Chris, thanks; another satisfied customer.
Old     (882001)      Join Date: Nov 2003       02-28-2004, 4:30 PM Reply   
i just finished my install of gg. it came quick. and looks great.
stickers!!! i didnt get stickers. whats up??
Old    jayreese            02-28-2004, 4:44 PM Reply   
I ordered my grey on white gator grip and got it in two days. Great service Chris. did somebody say stickers?
Old     (wakejunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-29-2004, 8:48 AM Reply   
I ran out of stickers for a short while, sorry.

Chris
Get the Grip you Deserve
www.wakejunky.com
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-01-2004, 11:43 AM Reply   
does this hydroturf patterns have some detailed pics??i dont see anything on the website as far as pattern choices as well as where it is sold in sheets and half sheets to order online??any help??

also Chris what typoe of adhesive backing comes on yours??Peel and stick??what kind of glue is it IE 3m etc??

Hydroturf says they send the stuff with contact cement to apply it yourslef for regualr pricing ,add $5 a sheet for generic psa/peel&stick backing and $20 for the 3m psa/pell&stick backing...

i need some of this stuff soon and am trying to figure out the best deal..

looks like GG is the proven stuff used by wakeboarders but HT is used throughout the PWC and water sport world but not tested by a lot of us yet but they are cheaper and offer more choices..

hmm stuck in the middle but leaning toward GG..

i am mostly gonna be using this on my boat trailer so i need the best stuff that will stick easily and over a long period of time to metal in the Texas heat ...

any help??
Old    htvixen            03-01-2004, 12:15 PM Reply   
Bill & all---- Call me computer stupid but I cannot re-size the pics I have to post on here....I will post what I can though (give me a minute to figure it out).

We may be New to these boards, but we have been in the Wake industry for some time as well.We have even suppplies material to Gator Boards, Concrete Bindings, Chinook & Liquid Force. Andy @ Paradise WaterSports has been ordering this stuff for his wake customers in Phoenix for nearly 2 years now & BoatTraction.com in No.Cal has been working with us for some time. We sponsor a few riders in our area that ride local lakes as well (not many but a few). We have also been doing swim deck/boarding platforms for Jet Boats (Sea-Doo & Yamaha) for 12 year as well.

But again, either one GG or HT will suffice your needs. Our looks are the main difference. Similar material & similar application.

In regards to your question Bill for install. I always suggest a light sanding to any surface before gluing or sticking any material. This allows to the adgesive to stick better. Once it has been lighlty sanded a quick wipe down with a clean rag & some acetone cleans up the area nicely.

Alot of people are skeptical to sanding their painted trailers, boats, fiberglass etc.etc.etc & that is understandable. The glue will stick to a surface that hasn't been prepped, but I can't guarantee the bond will be as good. Our contact Cement was formulated by us & made for us. We do suggest DAP Weldwood if for some reason you can't get ours. I personally don't reccomend using spray type adhesives, yes they are quicker & easier but it is sometimes hard to tell if you are getting the nice even coat you want/need with those types of glue.

Please let me know if there is anything else I can do for you. Tracie- did you get those samples??

Laurel

(Message edited by htvixen on March 01, 2004)
Old    htvixen            03-01-2004, 12:17 PM Reply   
ooppps double post

Old    htvixen            03-01-2004, 12:22 PM Reply   
oh g--- triple post....trying to upload those pics & I didn't know what I was doing...sorry

Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-01-2004, 12:22 PM Reply   
Laurel if you cant figure out how to resize them just crop and resave the cropped pic under a new name on your computer and then repost..

id like to see the patterns .....

BTW i got the sample but hard to tell from a 1/2 X1/2 piece of material on what its really like..remnded me of Astrodeck which was sold by Bad ass wakeboards before they went out of business and now are Gator Boards...
Old    htvixen            03-01-2004, 12:29 PM Reply   
Bill-

I can't even re-size them but here are some links. This should be able to help everyone.....

http://www.hydroturf.com/products.php?cat=Sheets%20of%20Hydro-Turf&man=Hydro-Turf

http://www.hydroturf.com/products.php?cat=Jet%20Boat%20Mats

(the next link is to our photo gallery- show various PWC's with our mats on them --- some T & A sorry if it offends anyone, like HT Girl is in alot of these shots but they are tasteful)

http://www.hydroturf.com/gallery.php

I hope that helps.....

Laurel
Old     (noneya)      Join Date: Apr 2002       03-01-2004, 12:30 PM Reply   
B-

I had GG on my boat for about 2 seasons in the TX sun, storing outside and no problems with the adhesive.
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-01-2004, 12:39 PM Reply   
that works great ,thanks...

so this contact cement comes with the purchase of HT??
Old    htvixen            03-01-2004, 12:42 PM Reply   
Yes we will give you the Contact Cement & Brushes for install with your purchase (& yes we do throw in stickers as well).

I will touch base with you all again tm, I am off to go DEMO some new watercraft.

Laurel
Old     (bill)      Join Date: Feb 2001       03-01-2004, 12:43 PM Reply   
Noneya

im not worried about the boat im worried about the Trailer..i have white astrodeck pads on my hull of my boat for two years with no problems as well but metal trailer that is contantly being heated up in the sun then dipped under water all summer is what i am worried about..

the reason i need more is the Crap Boatmate put on my trailer has now all peeled off and is gone..
Old     (villageidiot)      Join Date: Feb 2004       03-01-2004, 4:51 PM Reply   
Chris (or anybody else),

If I wanted to put Gator Grip on a wakeskate, would I have to take the grip tape off of the skate first? How to do that? Or could I just put the Gator Grip over the grip tape?

Thanks
Old    mb_girl            03-01-2004, 6:03 PM Reply   
Laurel,
Thanks, yes I did get the samples today. I just noticed that you can get Hydroturf with no pattern (flat). Can you get this in white as well (white isn't listed for that item)? For the rest, the cut diamond & waffle patterns are nice (those are the ones that come in any color it would seem), but the molded diamond is it IMO. Too bad it only comes in black or grey.

Hmmmm, decisions decisions. I may have to wait for my boat to actually get here to decide!

(Message edited by MB Girl on March 01, 2004)
Old    htvixen            03-02-2004, 9:12 AM Reply   
Toyota Rider-

I would HIGHLY suggest removing any OEM Traction before adhering any type of aftermarket traction. Most OEM traction can be removed by getting underneath it with a putty knife or scraping tool & then using a combonation of sandpaper & acetone to remove any excess material & adhesive.

Tracie- Sure you can do flat white! All of the colors are available in Flat, Cut Groove, Cut Diamond Groove, & Cut Waffle Groove.....yes at this time the only colors in the molded diamond groove or Charcoal Grey & Black.

Bill- Our material is used on watercraft which are also in & out of the water & in & out of the sun. Of course you will get a longer life out of the material if it is taken care of....rinsed off & cleaned if dirty.

Laurel