Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Wakeboarding Discussion Archives > Archive through September 22, 2008

Old     (powercorps)      Join Date: Nov 2006       09-03-2008, 10:16 AM Reply   
I have been having some trouble landing the toeside backroll. I usually complete my rotation but sometimes i do not clear the wakes. My big problem is this.... every time i come around to land and my board touches the water my feet immidately slip out from under me and i land on my back. Its like my rotation does not stop when i land. Maybe I need to edge away from the boat upon landing but I have no idea how to do that. Any ideas would be apprieciated.... im trying agian tonight!
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       09-03-2008, 10:30 AM Reply   
I struggle with this one too and have for years.

I case most of the time, and my board also slips out from under me. In my case, it's because I roll the flip off the wake early, instead of popping Up, and then throwing th trick. I know exactly what the problem is....just a brain fart! Even when I land them it feels all wrong.

You might consider whether or not you're hucking it earley too.
Old     (dizzyj)      Join Date: Jul 2003       09-03-2008, 10:54 AM Reply   
was going to say thats an indication that your hucking it instead of using a load and release technique. you should have line tension the entire trick.
Old     (romes)      Join Date: Sep 2006       09-03-2008, 10:56 AM Reply   
love this trick...if you're slippin out or casing a lot of the time it's because you're leaning back on your back foot as you go thru the trough and up the wake. this will take away all of your pop and you'll slip out even if you do manage to make it all the way around.

i come in pretty evenly weighted and i focus on standing super tall so i go UP not out or back. when i started grabbing them indy i started landing them more consistent. even now if i rush and miss the grab i'll fall.
Old     (liquidmx)      Join Date: Jun 2005       09-03-2008, 11:19 AM Reply   
JR is right on. Focus on getting a lot of pop. When I come into the wake I think "put some stank on the end of the cut". This forces me to get the full pop before starting the rotation. The first time you do this you will feel like you are going to massively under-rotate. It slows the entire trick down by taking it up, plus its a LOT more controlled. Keeping the handle in tight to that front hip will help if you start rolling to revert on accident.

I also think I first started landing them "properly" after learning a TS R2R. You can take that trick a lot bigger naturally and I learned the proper cut with that trick...then taking it back to the roll.
Old     (kyle_neumann)      Join Date: Jun 2008       09-03-2008, 1:20 PM Reply   
^^seconded. also to jr's comment.
Old     (02wakesettervlx)      Join Date: Jun 2001       09-03-2008, 3:38 PM Reply   
Patience, and keep the eyes open. I used to overroatate, and it was because I wasn't spotting my landing, and not opening up early enough.
Old     (byrd)      Join Date: Dec 2005       09-04-2008, 2:45 PM Reply   
The few times I have ever landed it, I took the board over my outside shoulder instead of straight over my head. When I rotate it straight over my head I always case it.