Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakeboarding Discussion

Old     (ADahlin)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-17-2013, 11:07 AM Reply   
Hey guys I'm looking to buy a winch for this summer. The best/cheapest one I could find is this one. http://www.ridiculouswinches.com/wakewinch3.html. I'm trying to decide if its worth it to spend this much on one? Or if I should just build my own. Has anbody built their own? If so let me know your plans so I can build one if I wish to. Thanks.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-17-2013, 1:50 PM Reply   
Unless you have the free time and know how to weld and have funds or access to a Mill... just buy it. Ive had my parts just sitting in my closet for 2 years now...never got around to really doing it...
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-17-2013, 1:52 PM Reply   
well......dude, you man have been my inspiration...I am on spring break right now, I might just do get after it this week!
Old     (boardman74)      Join Date: Jul 2012       03-17-2013, 7:14 PM Reply   
Like Joe said unless you have a shop and all the needed equipment your better off buying one. Parts are going to be 2/3 of the price of that winch. So if you have to pay someone to weld and fab the rest you won't save anything. Plus anytime you make something there is called R&D, it's not going to work right the first time. Thats more money and more time.
Old     (ilikebeaverandboats)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-17-2013, 7:36 PM Reply   
I have some tentative frame plans drawn out, just need to pick up the metal, start chopping, and lay some beads!
Old     (boarder82)      Join Date: Jun 2009       03-18-2013, 9:34 AM Reply   
I would definitely say build your own if you can. I just got mine finished up and tested, and it worked great! Ended up costing us just over $700.

Last edited by boarder82; 03-18-2013 at 9:40 AM. Reason: Added pic
Old     (ADahlin)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-18-2013, 7:37 PM Reply   
That's so sick!!! Can you send me or post the plans for that? Like all the dimensions and stuff. How long did it take you? Also what do you use to anchor it down? How much horse power?
Old     (ADahlin)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-18-2013, 8:52 PM Reply   
If you have the plans would you mind emailing them to me? andrewdahlin@yahoo.com

Last edited by ADahlin; 03-18-2013 at 8:55 PM.
Old     (steezytop)      Join Date: Mar 2013       05-30-2013, 2:23 PM Reply   
my friend and i built a winch two winters ago and don't regret a thing. it was a lot of fun to build, we had the ability to customize it, and we saved quite a bit of money. my advise would be to build one! the winch has definitely become my favorite pull. check out our blog. www.steezytop.blogspot.com we've got a video of us making the winch posted.