Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       02-09-2008, 3:12 PM Reply   
Do you think there’s really a benefit to listing your boat on Craig’s List or Ebay. Seems like the type of person that would be interested in our boats is already checking Boat Trader and Only Inboards. Maybe someone from Canada would look at Ebay but I’m still guessing they have checked in Boattraderonline
Old     (05mobiuslsv)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-09-2008, 3:21 PM Reply   
I've never had anyone other than retards call me from craigslist when I listed my last boat. Lots of nibbles but nobody was serious about buying a boat. The boat selling websites have more serious buyers contacting you from my experience. I would never list a boat on ebay myself.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2008, 3:41 PM Reply   
I sold my Prostar on CL in less than a week for asking price.

And I bought my Vride off a CL ad. Also saw it in a few other places for a different price.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-09-2008, 3:43 PM Reply   
IMO, ebay stinks for inboards. However, if I were selling a boat, i'd list it on craigslist and in as many other places as possible including but not limited to onlyinboards.com :-)
Old     (sidekicknicholas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-09-2008, 3:59 PM Reply   
I found our boat ( 95 supersport) on craigslist... its not a straight up wakeboard boat but v-drive non-the-less.... and the guy we bought it from would have never thought to sell on a place like this or onlyinboards.
thats where you find the diamonds in the rough, it also seems like people don't know what their stuff is worth on sites like that either, or are way overpriced
Old     (phenom_1819)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-09-2008, 4:12 PM Reply   
My boat sold for full price from a Craigslist lead, had about 10 calls from craigslist. I've had about 10-15 onlyinboards.com leads, and even had 2-3 leads from wakeworld. I would never sell an inboard on ebay...
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       02-09-2008, 4:15 PM Reply   
Nick did you check Boattraderonline during your boat search?
Old     (hype29)      Join Date: Feb 2007       02-09-2008, 4:20 PM Reply   
I tried to sell my last boat on ebay and some deadbeat won it and then never contacted me. So I listed it on craigslist and sold it to some guy from Canada in about a week. I also found my current boat on craigslist. So I have had very good luck with it.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-09-2008, 4:28 PM Reply   
I am from canada and looked everywhere...ebay, craigslist....boattrader and of course onlyinboards!

eventually bought one from here. I even bid on a couplke on ebay but got beat!!
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       02-09-2008, 4:44 PM Reply   
Is there a way to search all of the Craig’s Lists in the U.S. at once? I’m finding that I have to select each city one at a time to search. What a pain.
Old     (bill_sloan)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-09-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
If there is a way I have yet to find it.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       02-09-2008, 4:46 PM Reply   
Michael do you know anyone from Canada looking for a 21i .
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-09-2008, 4:47 PM Reply   
......what I did was google search the boat I wanted like supra 21v and then craigslist right behind it....that seemed to work
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-09-2008, 4:53 PM Reply   
....our boat trader here is under trader.ca......if you are close enough to the border somewhere ...you never know it might be worth it. The dollar is great right now.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       02-09-2008, 5:13 PM Reply   
Michael I'm to far south, to bad Mexico's peso wasn't stronger .
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-09-2008, 5:19 PM Reply   
Here is a CraigsList search engine: http://www.crazedlist.org/

It works great if you use Firefox as your browser.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       02-09-2008, 5:21 PM Reply   
Thanks Bill, I have Firefox on my home computer so I'll give it a try tonight.
Old     (detonate69)      Join Date: Apr 2001       02-09-2008, 5:35 PM Reply   
that thing works great. Thanks Bill!
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-09-2008, 8:40 PM Reply   
I bought my new boat via e-bay and I sold my last boat viz craigslist....I love craigslist...........NO FEES!!!!
Old     (bmcgee)      Join Date: Nov 2007       02-09-2008, 9:26 PM Reply   
We just bought our boat off craigslist... i would say it works
Old     (24_ssv)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-10-2008, 7:20 AM Reply   
I sold my house on Craigslist for just under asking price. It is free, so why not try it?
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       02-10-2008, 10:17 AM Reply   
Is there a way to list in multiple cites with one ad or do you have to go to each city and duplicate the ad over and over?
Old     (larrys)      Join Date: Jun 2005       02-10-2008, 2:40 PM Reply   
I sold my '06 Black and Pink Malibu from Craigslist. The lady that purchased it found it by doing a Google searh on Pink Malibu. I think that Craigslist adds get into the search list better than the others. I had it listed under one city also.
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2008, 2:51 PM Reply   
You can not list ads in multiple cities. If you try to list the ad in different cities it won't let you because the ad is too much like another ad you already have. I guess they do that to avoid spamming and mass listings. My boat was listed in a city of about 160,000 for a month with nothing and I moved it to Kansas City cragslist and it sold within a week. One word of caution you will get some people trying to scam you about buying or selling your boat so you need to be a little cautious.

As far as e-bay goes I listed my boat in an auction there as well. It cost my $50 bucks and it did not sell but I had alot of hits on it. I think the exposure was well worth it.
Old     (goerlich)      Join Date: Jul 2006       02-10-2008, 3:07 PM Reply   
Were it not for Craigslist, I would not have found a used Sanger anywhere in southeast Michigan...

That said, it's free so why not use it for advertising.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2008, 3:31 PM Reply   
Eric, I have the exact same ad running in Seattle & Spokane CL right now. The ad is about a week old & I have not heard about any issues with it. The two cities are about 300 miles from each other in Washington state.

I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it. But I used to use the Post link on the top right of almost every CL page. Now I log into my own account using the My Account link on the top left of the front page. The best part is you can add or edit & delete ads without the email to publish step. Makes it a lot easier.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on February 10, 2008)
Old     (wakeboardlasvegas)      Join Date: Mar 2007       02-10-2008, 4:58 PM Reply   
how does craigslist make any money? and when do you all think they are going to start charging for listings?
Old     (ericlee)      Join Date: Apr 2007       02-10-2008, 7:13 PM Reply   
Bill,
I tried listing my boat with the same ad but in different cities and as soon as I tried to list it it said I have an ad running in another city that is similar to the one I am trying to post. It would not let me do it. I dunno maybe I messed up or something.

How does craigslist make any money? I was wondering the same thing...anyone know?
Old    walt            02-10-2008, 7:31 PM Reply   
I sold my last boat and a car on CL. You'll most likely have to talk with a few douche bags though.

I can tell you guys a couple of stories about selling cars over the years.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-10-2008, 7:58 PM Reply   
Good question, guys. I've always wondered how CL made money. The owner is Craig Newmark & he's always said that he doesn't need the money. He did at some point sell some interest to Ebay though. However he kept controlling interest & insists that he won't be charging for ads any time soon.
Once Ebay gains control that will change.

Hey Eric, are you using the Post link on the top right of the CL page? Or are you logging into your account from the My Account link on the top left of the front page? Maybe that is the difference?
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-11-2008, 5:28 AM Reply   
You have to change the ad for each city so that the text isn't the exact same. Otherwise they see it as a duplicate ad.

How does CL make money? they probably don't make much, but either did google when they started. It was just a killer search engine but once they had everyone using it... ka-ching!
Old     (jay_g)      Join Date: Apr 2006       02-11-2008, 5:52 AM Reply   
Craigslist charges for Help Wanted Ads in select cities. Some cash comes from there
Old     (trace)      Join Date: Feb 2002       02-11-2008, 7:11 AM Reply   
Craigslist rules! I use it for all kinds of things, not just cars & boats. I know several people with very good jobs that they found on CL. I used to be a fairly bad packrat, but CL gives my old junk an actual cash value.
Old     (evil0ne)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-11-2008, 7:25 AM Reply   
Jonnny...

Q: How does craigslist support its operations?
A: By charging below-market fees for job ads in 10 cities, and for brokered apartment listings in NYC.

Q: How much are job ads?
A: $25 in Chicago, NYC, LA, DC, Boston, Portland, Sacramento, Seattle, and San Diego, and $75 in SF.
Old     (acurtis_ttu)      Join Date: May 2004       02-11-2008, 7:28 AM Reply   
I've sold a couple of my boats on ebay ( both inboards) My last boat sold on ebay for about $2k more than I was askign locally.
Old     (tommyg)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-11-2008, 8:35 AM Reply   
I bought my boat on eBay, had it delivered to CA from Ohio without ever seeing it.

Normally, would never consider that option, but I bought it from a Nautique dealer. It was a dealer demo boat with low hours. The guy was going to stop selling Nautique's, and was trying to get the last one of his floor. I got it for a steal, and was able to negotiate a free bimini and PP at cost with free installation.

There are deals out there!
Old     (phunnel)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-11-2008, 10:09 AM Reply   
bought a bought off craigslist from redding, and drove the 21 hours from canada to pick it up
Old     (littletna)      Join Date: Jan 2008       02-11-2008, 2:37 PM Reply   
Just sold my boat through craigslist. I've sold many items with plenty of success on craigslist. It only took about 3-4 weeks to sell my 01 Chaparral for around 19K. It is a nice boat though.
Old     (cocheese)      Join Date: Jul 2004       02-12-2008, 6:15 AM Reply   
We sold our boat on Craigs list. The only problem we had was with a local dealer who used my pictures and info to relist our boat 2000 dollars over our asking price. I don't have a problem with dealers doing this, but they need to get off their a$$ and do some leg work as well. He listed it in the same area on Craig's list just one week after I listed it. The boat was already sold when he called to set up an appointment for one of his offers to look at the boat. The guy who bought the boat ended up calling us to confirm the price because he saw the boat listed for more than we were asking. I don't care if you are a dealer and want to make money on a sale, but advertise in a different area and do some work!
Old     (priszkid)      Join Date: Aug 2007       02-12-2008, 6:44 AM Reply   
CL is great. I was searching for a Sanger, had no problem driving to get it. I live in Eugene, and drove to Redding just to pick it up. Just like anything, had to do alot of fact finding prior to the long drive. Well worth it!
Old     (skier86)      Join Date: Jan 2004       02-12-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
Craiglist was started by a guy named Craig in San Francisco, (Not Me!, I wish) to help local neighbors sell stuff without having to pay for classified ads. You can't do a nationwide search but hey its free! They don't make you give your e-mail address and don't charge any juice to normal small guys, only a small fee to business for job listings. I mean headhunters charge 5-15% of a persons base salary. So $75 is not a bad deal. I've also heard that he hasn't gotten greedy over the years when the website blew up.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       02-12-2008, 7:04 AM Reply   
With only being able to post the ad in one city I guess it's a little luck that someone would find your boat from outside that area.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-12-2008, 8:41 AM Reply   
Man, are you guys not reading the thread or what?

Craig, you can search Craigslist using Google or a tool like this: http://www.crazedlist.org/

Gary, you can post the ad in more than one city if you do one of two things. Either create & log into your own account using the My Account link on the top left of CL's front page.
Or switch up the ad a bit on each one. People do it all the time.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       02-12-2008, 11:09 AM Reply   
Bill my point in the beginning of this thread was if you have your boat listed somewhere on the internet when the potential boat buyer googles Tige 21i my boat will show up. How many people really know about http://www.crazedlist.org/ my guess is not many. You know that if the average guy does a boat search on Craig’s List in a different city than the one your boat is listed in it won’t show up. I do place ads from my Craig’s list account but have not tried altering the ad for different cities. I’ll give that a try today
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-12-2008, 11:45 AM Reply   
just an FYI, i have most of the single boat listings pages optimized so that single boat listings on OIB do show up in search. Might not be page 1 but sometimes it is: for example if you google: correct craft ski nautique 196 you get one of the listings from the site. Always trying to improve the exposure :-)

But like I said, list it everywhere you can. CL, onlyinboards, tigeowners/planetnautique/themalibucrew, etc, wakeworld, wakeboarder, etc, etc etc.
Old     (wakereviews)      Join Date: Sep 2006       02-12-2008, 11:48 AM Reply   
I should also point out that it's not a guarantee. Some boats show up, some don't. If i knew the rhyme or reason about how to make it work, i wouldn't be posting here, i'd be on a beach sipping drinks with umbrellas in them.
Old     (sanger)      Join Date: May 2002       02-12-2008, 11:52 AM Reply   
Thanks OIB
Old     (rvh3)      Join Date: Jul 2003       02-12-2008, 4:31 PM Reply   
I have had great luck with Craigslist. It definately comes with the tire kickers and low-ballers. If you have the patience to weed them out, Craigslist gets great exposure.
Old     (trickyboarder08)      Join Date: Jul 2005       02-12-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
www.crazedlist.org doesn't search every craigslist city, just certain ones.
Old     (absoluteboarder)      Join Date: Aug 2002       02-12-2008, 4:38 PM Reply   
...JST AS AN ASIDE i HAVE LISTED OTHER THINGS ON CRAIGS LIST........and when I hit the submit button I swear my phone rang for the item.....bizarre...there must be a wack of people just waiting for stuff to come up.