Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > >> Boats, Accessories & Tow Vehicles Archive > Archive through February 21, 2008

Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-06-2008, 12:12 PM Reply   
Anyone ever used sand as ballast instead of lead?? I've got a 93 Maristar 225, and don't have much room under the back seats for ballast bags, don't wanna pay for pop sacks, or lead, and was hoping that sand would be a good option if I can keep it from leaking all over the palce!! I'm getting two 500 pound Launch Pad recliners for the sides of the DD, a Ski Locker sac (350), and possibly something for the bow.

Just wanna know if I don't wanna fill up the side sacs how the sand would do for weight, and upkeep!!
Old     (kingfish2wkbrd)      Join Date: Dec 2006       02-06-2008, 12:18 PM Reply   
Sand is great for semi permanant weighting if you know that one side of your boat is a little light consistantly. My old Malibu VLX was like that on the passenger side. I use 80lb bags of play/utility sand. Then I duck taped the ends to keep them from popping open.

Don't use it for easily regular weighting as it isn't easy to lug around.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-06-2008, 12:20 PM Reply   
Yeah, I think we're going to end up putting a hundred pounds in each side in the back and leaving it there, and moving a couple fifty pound bags around for balance!
Old     (ttrigo)      Join Date: Dec 2004       02-06-2008, 12:21 PM Reply   
I kept about 250 lbs of sand in the bow of my old boat. worked fine. just double bagged it, and duck taped them. I never removed them. they do take up quite a bit of space. I would use them temporarily, and save up some money for the pop bags. those things are great.
Old     (jarrod)      Join Date: May 2003       02-06-2008, 12:49 PM Reply   
Try tire weights. I went to big O tires, they gave me 300 pounds of old tire weights for free. Then, I picked up some dry bags (river rafting bags) and filled them up.
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-06-2008, 1:26 PM Reply   
I used sand in my old SeaRay years ago. It always seemed to leak out no matter how well I sealed it up.
Old tire weights are the way to go. We stoked up the BBQ, melted the weights down in a can & poured the liquid lead into molds made from scrap 2x6s. Make them the perfect size to fit in various little cubby holes under the gunnel pockets, behind the back seat & under the bow seats of my old 205. Then carpeted all the bricks with indoor/outdoor carpet. They don't move & their almost invisible.
I had about 600 lbs & it cost maybe $50.

(Message edited by bill_airjunky on February 06, 2008)
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-06-2008, 3:52 PM Reply   
That's a great idea!! I never thought of that!! Bill, where did you get your tire weights?? I'm trying to think of places I can go in College Station that can give them to me for cheap!!
Old     (bill_airjunky)      Join Date: Apr 2002       02-06-2008, 4:05 PM Reply   
Most any tire shop will give those weights away, Josh. They have to save them up & dispose of them properly anyway. Just bring a few buckets with you to any local tire shop, ie; Discount, Les Schwab, Sears, they will all have them. Probably way more than you need!!

Only caution is that when your melting them down, do it outside & don't be breathing in the smoke....... it won't kill you quickly but it might make you do stupid things.
Old     (joshbuzz)      Join Date: Sep 2007       02-06-2008, 4:07 PM Reply   
thanks Bill!!

I'm in college, I don't need to do any more stupid things than I already do!!

Old     (mars)      Join Date: Aug 2005       02-07-2008, 5:02 AM Reply   
Safety ninny message:

Bill K is right-lead and lead fumes are bad juju. You should also be washing your hands after handling lead. A local fishing club used to host sinker melting and casting parties a few years back... until some of the regulars needed treatment for lead poisoning.
Old     (seattle)      Join Date: Mar 2002       02-07-2008, 5:48 AM Reply   
To take that a little further. Used lead tire weights are now considered haz waste in most states. Tire shops are now required to use a licensed haz waste removal company to get rid of them along with needing to keep waste removal manifests and accumulation logs on file for at least two years. If your caught disposing of them by giving them away you can be hit with huge fines.

(Message edited by Seattle on February 07, 2008)