Articles

Pics/Video

Wake 101

Shop
Search

Home   Articles   Pics/Video   Gear   Wake 101   Events   Community   Forums   Classifieds   Contests   Shop   Search
WakeWorld Home
Email Password
Go Back   WakeWorld > Wakesurfing

Old     (johns)      Join Date: Sep 2000       03-05-2013, 9:27 AM Reply   
Looking to get a new surf board this year. Been a wakeboarder for the last 11-12 yeqar but after ACL surgery and turning 43YO this year gonna do more surfing on my 236 Nautique.

I currently have a CWB BlackJack that I bought for the family to use which is fine but would like another board. I am still a beginner at surfing but would like a intermediate/advanced board board I can grow into. I am 6'2" 250lbs and all my friends are big guys like me

John
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-05-2013, 9:57 AM Reply   
John, you are on the large spectrum and there are not as many boards out there really geared towards your size. However, there are some model boards that will fit the bill. Shred Stixx Big Chief; Inland Surfer Red Rocket; LF longboard. On the custom end, Shred Stixx, TWP, and Soulcraft have proven big boy models from 'longboards' to performance boards.
Old     (cragrat)      Join Date: Mar 2012       03-05-2013, 7:04 PM Reply   
Hey John... check out the 22" Bomber from Brigade. 250# and up!
Old     (dejoeco)      Join Date: Apr 2003       03-06-2013, 5:29 AM Reply   
Mendonesia Surf makes an amazing board too and they can shape it to your requuest. Walker Project is another to consider. I have did a demo on the Mendonesia and liked it, but I am more of a skim rider.
Old     (jamesruberti)      Join Date: Nov 2012       03-06-2013, 9:48 AM Reply   
I second Brigade. Quality custom boards and great customer service.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-06-2013, 10:34 AM Reply   
What part of the country are you in John?
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-06-2013, 10:58 AM Reply   
just my 2cents, Soulcraft will also build you a custom board to your liking, with exceptional customer service! If you need to contact to them, let me know! or go to the website. There are many happy customers out there with Soulcraft boards!
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-06-2013, 11:44 AM Reply   
Soulcraft X 3 brigade has not been in the game long enough and still learning the ropes.also shredstixx and TWP Make real nice boards
Old     (Kingsriver)      Join Date: Aug 2011       03-06-2013, 1:07 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post
Looking to get a new surf board this year. Been a wakeboarder for the last 11-12 yeqar but after ACL surgery and turning 43YO this year gonna do more surfing on my 236 Nautique.

I currently have a CWB BlackJack that I bought for the family to use which is fine but would like another board. I am still a beginner at surfing but would like a intermediate/advanced board board I can grow into. I am 6'2" 250lbs and all my friends are big guys like me

John
Need I say More. cant wait for it to warm up. I am 6' 200# and you need a big enough board to allow you not sink while allowing the boat to push you. I have a Great Skim Board Phase 5 Trident Pro that was not big enough to allow me to go wireless. I worked with Jeff and I wanted a board that was a littel bigger than he said I needed becasue at 48 I am not going PRO anytime soon. Dont get a baord too small the first time make sure you have one that can handle your wieght and then go down in size with your next board. The picture is of Shaver Lake CA
Attached Images

Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       03-06-2013, 4:26 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by h20king View Post
Soulcraft X 3 brigade has not been in the game long enough and still learning the ropes.also shredstixx and TWP Make real nice boards
Do you know Nick (the owner of Brigade)?

He's been developing board shapes for years, and is a phenomenal wakesurfer.

I think it's pretty ****ty to bash a company for "not being in the game long enough" when he's putting out great high quality competition boards with some very custom options and artwork. All it takes is scanning their website and FB/Instagram pages to see that there's a bunch of very cool boards being put out for very happy customers. Some of these customers absolutely RIP.

What's "still learning the ropes" supposed to mean?

Have you ridden a Brigade board? Maybe you should, and see if it changes your mind.
Old     (SurferLifestyle22)      Join Date: Dec 2012       03-06-2013, 7:39 PM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureWakesurfing1 View Post

I think it's pretty ****ty to bash a company for "not being in the game long enough" when he's putting out great high quality competition boards with some very custom options and artwork. All it takes is scanning their website and FB/Instagram pages to see that there's a bunch of very cool boards being put out for very happy customers. Some of these customers absolutely RIP.

Have you ridden a Brigade board? Maybe you should, and see if it changes your mind.
I also agree with the previous post (purewakesurfing , jasin ) , that you can't base your opinion on a board if you haven't ridden a certain board companies boards. I'm not going to say what board I ride cause the owner of Wake World gets very upset if you push a certain board company and (advertising your board). But to answer the owner of this posts question. A great board all depends on your experience in wakesurfing and your size/weight. The best thing to do is give any of these wakesurfing companies a call and decide on your own the best customer service you get and who can give you the best advice on a new board and help you pick out what works best for you. Brigade, shredstixx, and soulcraft all do custom graphics and paint. Call them up and get your answer that way. Alot of people on these forums are very biased so best to do is go straight to the source. I'm happy very happy with my choice of board company and have ridden everything on the market today, and i have talked to everyone.
Hope this helps
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-06-2013, 9:54 PM Reply   
Agreed there will always be biased opinion, and I think a little healthy debate is always great. There will always be opinion on what is "best" but there are soooo many factors in "personal preference" that get mis-read as fact. I for example love neon green boats, im sure H20 will tell me thats wrong and red boats are better...again all opinion, neither right, or wrong.
- Im just going to end all the BS and be the first dude to own one of each major surf boat brands, and every single board.....ever. Make it simple
Old     (h20king)      Join Date: Dec 2009       03-07-2013, 4:49 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by PureWakesurfing1 View Post

I did not say anything bad just stated the fact that brigade has not been in the game long and recommended a board I have lots of experience with. What is bull**it is rider reps from Brigade spamming every thread with Brigade this or Brigade that. None of the recommendations above are from rider reps just regular people like myself recommending a product we have been very happy with. Instead of the constant spam why not try getting the boards out for people to try.
Old     (PureWakesurfing1)      Join Date: Sep 2012       03-07-2013, 5:15 AM Reply   
Listen, I don't have any problem with ANYONE posting feedback on what board they ride, from ANY company. I think it's great to support people that put hard work into their product and their customer support, and I think SC, SS, Mendo, and Walker all put out a pro quality line.

You didn't say, it's your opinion that Brigade needs to prove the market - or anything constructive. You just said that they are "still learning the ropes" and "haven't been in the game long enough" which is total BS and totally unnecessary when you could have just given your opinion on what board you like to ride without posting something negative about a product you don't have any experience with.
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2013, 6:56 AM Reply   
I think its great all these new companies are coming out, maybe it will drive the prices of some of these boards down!
Old     (surffresh)      Join Date: Jun 2010       03-07-2013, 8:14 AM Reply   
it takes way too much time and materials are not cheap to produce a hand made board for under $600, these guys have to eat, on the other hand if a board is mass produced in a third world and retails for $600 and up, someone's getting rich. I do like the idea of "HAND MADE IN THE USA" by riders
Old     (22vdrive)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2013, 8:23 AM Reply   
Good point surffresh we do need more products made in the usa.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-07-2013, 8:50 AM Reply   
agreed! Surffresh! I love the fact my board is "MADE IN THE USA" And I don't like paying 600 for a board that costs less then a 100 to make! ( thats just my guess). I would rather pay the price to someone who puts there heart and SOUL into it! ( "SOUL" just my way of showing my fav manufaturer with out pissin anyone off, LOL) I too have noticed a lot of Brigade Reps jumping in to suggest their boards everytime someone asks a question. Honest opinions from regular joe schmoes like myself, I think have way more credibility then a Rep, JMO. Just like in the car buying world, a salesman for Ford, is going to say their trucks are better than Chevys. Just sayin.............
Old     (Chaos)      Join Date: Apr 2010       03-07-2013, 9:30 AM Reply   
Hey John. Do you have anymore questions or concerns? It would seem your rather simple post has once again been wrangled by bickering sales people.
You are welcome to PM me, or maybe some other people that can actually answer your inquiry in a meaningful way will post something.
Old     (WakeDirt)      Join Date: Jun 2011       03-07-2013, 10:03 AM Reply   
Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyv420 View Post
agreed! Surffresh! I love the fact my board is "MADE IN THE USA" And I don't like paying 600 for a board that costs less then a 100 to make! ( thats just my guess). I would rather pay the price to someone who puts there heart and SOUL into it! ( "SOUL" just my way of showing my fav manufaturer with out pissin anyone off, LOL) I too have noticed a lot of Brigade Reps jumping in to suggest their boards everytime someone asks a question. Honest opinions from regular joe schmoes like myself, I think have way more credibility then a Rep, JMO. Just like in the car buying world, a salesman for Ford, is going to say their trucks are better than Chevys. Just sayin.............
-What we need to do is all tie up at the WCO, Highlifes and Pinas are on me (blender will be running full throttle) Lets enjoy our insanely well made boards on some badass boats. I for one want to ride some of these legendary Centurion waves, while offering up off my MB's and my homeboy's brand new bagged Supreme wave. Time to start enjoying these toys everyone is rousting about.
Old     (tonyv420)      Join Date: Jul 2007       03-07-2013, 10:27 AM Reply   
I'll be there with my 04 Avy, hope it's not to old of a boat for ya, but I'm sure you will love my wave! I am very anxious to ride behind a MB. It's one of the boats i've never been behind surfing. I love the Supreme wave if its dialed! Which I'm sure it is. I'm gonna hold you to that Highlife and Pina~ offer! So looking forward to the WCO! it is a way fun time! Surfing and Camping! Can't get any better!!